LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #46
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903

Want to spend more money on less hardware that you'll possibly damage or blow up by using software to old for it? OK.
 
Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #47
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,407
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
If you're stuck on me jumping to 2.6.30...then no, that ain't on the menu. If you're referring to me dropping Phenom II, I'm now looking into Phenom x4 CPUs, but still no Athlon is being considered, and I've still no intention of dropping the motherboards or graphics cards.
Phenom X4 is AM2+, you will have to use a different motherboard if you end up with that.
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #48
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
Want to spend more money on less hardware that you'll possibly damage or blow up by using software to old for it? OK.
You're mighty good at whining about what I can't do, providing info you know to be useless (such as hardware suggestions to run DSL kernel), or advocating for the 'latest& greatest' dogma. Still not hearing much by way of useful info, useful criticism, ect., not that I'm surprised.
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Yeah, well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Phenom X4 is AM2+, you will have to use a different motherboard if you end up with that.
You are partly right. GA-MA770T-UD3P & GA-770T-USB3 will not support Phenom x4...the other three will, says the Gigabyte site's CPU support list. Anyway, according to cascade9, I must rollback my CPU to either Phenom x4, Athlon II x4, or Athlon x2, in order to satisfy kernels 2.6.28 through 2.6.24. Three dismal choices. Which do you think is the best CPU for these kernels? I'll be doing some video editing, burning DVDs, and using GIMP/Photoshop CS3, in case it matters.
 
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #50
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,407
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994
Athlon II is a modified Phenom II, so that won't help you. Phenom/Athlon X2 have horrible power/performance ratio when it comes to higher clockspeeds. For Photoshop/GIMP/video rendering the quadcore will be the better choice.

Not that a this build does make any sense for the intended purpose (at least the parts that you actually do tell us), but as always that is up to you.
 
Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #51
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
You're mighty good at whining about what I can't do, providing info you know to be useless (such as hardware suggestions to run DSL kernel), or advocating for the 'latest& greatest' dogma. Still not hearing much by way of useful info, useful criticism, ect., not that I'm surprised.
No, of copurse your not gettign what you want....in part becuse what you want is silly, and in part becuase you insist on keeping on with your 'you just want to push a latest and greatest'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
Anyway, according to cascade9, I must rollback my CPU to either Phenom x4, Athlon II x4, or Athlon x2, in order to satisfy kernels 2.6.28 through 2.6.24. Three dismal choices.
LMAO.

I never said anything about Athlon II X4, or even impled about it. What I did say is that trying to use a kernel older than the hardware is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
You are partly right. GA-MA770T-UD3P & GA-770T-USB3 will not support Phenom x4...the other three will, says the Gigabyte site's CPU support list. I'll be doing some video editing, burning DVDs, and using GIMP/Photoshop CS3, in case it matters.
So, just for the sake of _possibly_ using kernels 2.6.24 - 2.6.28 you're going to try to find an 'old stock'/refurbished AM2+ board and pay more for it, get DDR2 and pay more for it?

And you want to do video editing?

You'd get a lot better performance using 2.6.30-2.6.32 and a Phenom II/DDR3 over a Phenom/DDR2 setup.

But as usual, you go back to your 'latest and greatst build' mantra......and cant even give us a decent reason, or any reason at all why you want to do this.
 
Old 10-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #52
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Athlon II is a modified Phenom II, so that won't help you. Phenom/Athlon X2 have horrible power/performance ratio when it comes to higher clockspeeds. For Photoshop/GIMP/video rendering the quadcore will be the better choice.

Not that a this build does make any sense for the intended purpose (at least the parts that you actually do tell us), but as always that is up to you.
I'm not quite clear on exactly which "quadcore will be the better choice" you are meaning...Athlon x4, Athlon II x4, or Phenom X4?

As I've said, any piece of junk I could buy at Walmart/Best Buy will work for Photoshop, GIMP, video editing, etc., but highly unlikely to work with the specified kernels, so that is the intended purpose. This custom build is to run kernels 2.8.28 or prior.
 
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #53
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,407
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
I'm not quite clear on exactly which "quadcore will be the better choice" you are meaning...Athlon x4, Athlon II x4, or Phenom X4?
There is no Athlon X4 and Athlon II X4s are already ruled out, so obviously it is the Phenom.

Quote:
As I've said, any piece of junk I could buy at Walmart/Best Buy will work for Photoshop, GIMP, video editing, etc., but highly unlikely to work with the specified kernels, so that is the intended purpose. This custom build is to run kernels 2.8.28 or prior.
So you build a machine from legacy parts with limited performance for a task that would highly benefit from modern parts, only for the purpose of running old kernels (while more modern kernels again will give you better performance). Sorry, but either I am not getting it or this doesn't make sense. Why do you want to run ancient kernels for a modern workflow?
 
Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #54
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
There is no Athlon X4 and Athlon II X4s are already ruled out, so obviously it is the Phenom.

So you build a machine from legacy parts with limited performance for a task that would highly benefit from modern parts, only for the purpose of running old kernels (while more modern kernels again will give you better performance). Sorry, but either I am not getting it or this doesn't make sense. Why do you want to run ancient kernels for a modern workflow?
Well, I don't know what to tell you, as I found two Athlon x4 models:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldo...X4%20750K.html
...that being Athlon x4 740, & 760K, but anyway, I'll skip them, and look into the Phenom X4. Thanks for the tip.

For the same reason I will be sticking with XP Pro, and not moving on to Vista, Windows 7, etc,. For the same reason I will be sticking with IE5, and not moving on to IE whatever. For the same reason I'll be sticking with Word 2003, and not going on to Word 2010. In each case, this new junk either has crap I don't want, and will not tolerate; or its missing stuff I absolutely need, and will not live without. I choose what I want. I choose what I don't want.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #55
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,407
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
Well, I don't know what to tell you, as I found two Athlon x4 models:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldo...X4%20750K.html
...that being Athlon x4 740, & 760K, but anyway
I stand corrected on that one, those are pretty new and for the FM2 socket, so they aren't an option for you anyways, neither the CPU nor the chipset will be fully supported by older kernels.
 
Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #56
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
AMD might call the 7XX FM2 CPUs just 'athlon'. The CPU world link gives a hint its not some original athlon ('/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-Athlon II X4 750K.html')

IMO they should be athlon III, or even athlon IV. Athlon II was K10 45nm, these new CPUs based on the 'bulldozer' or 'piledriver' achitechture, and are 32nm, so its another generation on from the athlon II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
For the same reason I will be sticking with XP Pro, and not moving on to Vista, Windows 7, etc,. For the same reason I will be sticking with IE5, and not moving on to IE whatever. For the same reason I'll be sticking with Word 2003, and not going on to Word 2010. In each case, this new junk either has crap I don't want, and will not tolerate; or its missing stuff I absolutely need, and will not live without. I choose what I want. I choose what I don't want.
As far as WinXP + IE5 goes, enjoy being part of a botnet.

As far as linux goes, what is 'missing' that you 'absolutely need' and/or what 'crap you will not tolerate' that is in kernels 2.6.30 onward?
 
Old 10-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #57
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,580

Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
I choose what I want. I choose what I don't want.
This is the important thing. Having said that I wonder how much more you are going to get in this thread. It is obvious, to me at least, that two large personalities are at loggerheads and are possibly about to launch into personal insults.

I personally have no issue with you choosing what you want to use, whatever floats your boat is whatever is good for you. Just remember though that unless you have very good technical reasons to use an insecure and unsupported system you are putting yourself and others (through no fault of their own) at risk.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #58
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
I stand corrected on that one, those are pretty new and for the FM2 socket, so they aren't an option for you anyways, neither the CPU nor the chipset will be fully supported by older kernels.
Okay, so I've gone over the Phenom x4 as you suggested, and while none are to par with my beloved Phenom II x6 1055T, they look able to do all I need done:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...ion-Review.htm

...so I'll revise my parts list accordingly, and if you have time, please give it a look over for incompatibilities. Thank for the help!

Edit: Looks like the edit button for my parts-list is MIA, so guess I won't be fixing it after all!

Last edited by Tecolote; 10-19-2013 at 07:15 PM.
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #59
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
This is the important thing. Having said that I wonder how much more you are going to get in this thread. It is obvious, to me at least, that two large personalities are at loggerheads and are possibly about to launch into personal insults.

I personally have no issue with you choosing what you want to use, whatever floats your boat is whatever is good for you. Just remember though that unless you have very good technical reasons to use an insecure and unsupported system you are putting yourself and others (through no fault of their own) at risk.
As of October I entered my two month deadline, so won't be long to find out "how much more" I'm "going to get in this thread." Hopefully enough to guarantee Linux a place on my PC. We will see.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #60
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,580

Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
As of October I entered my two month deadline, so won't be long to find out "how much more" I'm "going to get in this thread." Hopefully enough to guarantee Linux a place on my PC. We will see.
You missed the point, you and at least one other poster were swapping (cyber) verbal taunts. While I agree your personal choice matters a great deal I also agree with Cascade that you are setting yourself up to create problems for yourself and possibly others (who I have already said will possibly have problems through no fault of their own just because you insist of excercising your right to "free choice"). Because of that fact alone and because of your insistance of your right to choose whatever you want regardless of other peoples rights I seriously doubt you would get much more, if any, help.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Solving Display Problems With Some NVIDIA Chipsets After Installing Slackware 13.37 or SalixOS LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-06-2012 05:50 AM
What problems will linux complain about when I change motherboard humble1 Linux - General 10 09-13-2008 06:59 PM
installing linux on a ATI chipsets Motherboard bijoyrajkhowa2007 Linux - Software 1 03-26-2007 05:00 PM
via KT600 chipsets on albatron KX600 Pro motherboard and agpgart daemonTED Linux - Hardware 0 01-20-2004 03:53 AM
Motherboard Integrated Chipsets qsilver Linux - General 1 06-14-2001 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration