I solved the problem with the following:
I downloaded "System Rescue CD" from http://www.sysresccd.org
. Although I used this cd, I probably could have used Knoppix.
I started with:
root@sysresccd /root % lvm pvscan
PV /dev/sdb1 VG VolGroup00 lvm2 [111.78 GB / 0 free]
PV /dev/sda2 VG VolGroup00 lvm2 [232.78 GB / 0 free]
I than ran the following:
root@sysresccd /root % fsck -f /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
I was required to constantly hit the y key in order to continue. I could/should have used the -P argument, as it was, I had to set a weight on the "y" key. After 7 hours, I got the following output:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: 89641/90079232 files (4.1% non-contiguous), 85329392/90062848 blocks
I then did this:
root@sysresccd# lvm lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [343.56 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.00 GB] inherit
root@sysresccd /root % mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/part1
root@sysresccd /root % mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 /mnt/part2
root@sysresccd /root % cd /mnt/part1
root@sysresccd /mnt/part1 % ls
bin dev home lost+found misc net proc sbin srv tmp var
boot etc lib media mnt opt root selinux sys usr
All of my data was there and I am able to copy it over to my new server using scp.
Hope this helps someone else.