LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
Ricochet
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0
Intellimouse Explorer side buttons and scroll wheel broken after kernel 2.6.10


I've been trying to get this problem sorted ever since I compiled kernel 2.6.10, and have had no such luck. I posted about it in the Slackware forum, and have read all that I could find on the subject and have had no such luck. I thought maybe the general Hardware forum might be of some more help. I'm running Slack 10, btw.

Here is what I have in my xorg.conf file:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "7"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection
I've added "xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"" to my ./xinitrc file as well.

This is what is in my Xorg.0.log file that pertains to the mouse:

Code:
(**) Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
(**) Mouse1: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Mouse1: Protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Buttons" "7"
(==) Mouse1: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 6 and 7
(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 7
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
(II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
SetClientVersion: 0 8
(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button
Questions: Does this look right? Why is this business about emulate3Button in there? I have that line commented out in my xorg.conf file.

I've ran xev to check and see if it's recognizing the clicks on the extra buttons, and neither of the side buttons or the scroll wheel are being recognized. When I click the scroll wheel it is detected, so it seems my mouse is being detected as a 3 button mouse only.

I had a look at /proc/bus/input/devices and this is what it gives me:

Code:
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0005 Version=0000
N: Name="ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103
Questions: Why ImPS/2? From what I understand, if I specify Intellimouse Explorer that's what mouse I should see here.

I've tried to be as thorough as possible here. Is it possible that I compiled something wrong when I compiled the kernel that could cause the mouse buttons to not work properly? If there's any other questions, please let me know. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I'm out of ideas.
 
Old 02-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Ricochet
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Any ideas? I've been fighting this problem for weeks now, and can't figure it out. The thing that puzzles me is why /proc/bus/input/devices is showing ImPS/2 as my mouse. The only thing I can figure is that I think I might have compiled usbmouse into the kernel. I've read of people having to disable that module, but if I compiled it into the kernel then I would have to recompile, correct?
 
Old 07-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
mammlouk
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Distribution: Suse 10.0 OSS RC1
Posts: 100

Rep: Reputation: 15
Does anyone have any kind of an update on this? I have the same mouse with the same issue. I can't figure out why xev won't recognize the scroll wheel or side buttons. I really appreciate any help.
 
Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
imitheos
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Greece
Posts: 374

Rep: Reputation: 55
Re: Intellimouse Explorer side buttons and scroll wheel broken after kernel 2.6.10

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet
I've been trying to get this problem sorted ever since I compiled kernel 2.6.10, and have had no such luck. I posted about it in the Slackware forum, and have read all that I could find on the subject and have had no such luck. I thought maybe the general Hardware forum might be of some more help. I'm running Slack 10, btw.

Here is what I have in my xorg.conf file:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "7"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection
I've added "xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"" to my ./xinitrc file as well.


Your config seems correct. It should work perfectly.


Quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet

This is what is in my Xorg.0.log file that pertains to the mouse:

Code:
(**) Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
(==) Mouse1: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button
Questions: Does this look right? Why is this business about emulate3Button in there? I have that line commented out in my xorg.conf file.
If you see it starts with (==) That means it is the default setting for the driver. You have commented it but it is the default
setting. It isn't anything though. This setting exists for some old 2-button mice.Your mouse has a 3rd button and thus the
emulation is disabled.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet

I've ran xev to check and see if it's recognizing the clicks on the extra buttons, and neither of the side buttons or the scroll wheel are being recognized. When I click the scroll wheel it is detected, so it seems my mouse is being detected as a 3 button mouse only.

I had a look at /proc/bus/input/devices and this is what it gives me:

Code:
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0005 Version=0000
N: Name="ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103
Questions: Why ImPS/2? From what I understand, if I specify Intellimouse Explorer that's what mouse I should see here.

I've tried to be as thorough as possible here. Is it possible that I compiled something wrong when I compiled the kernel that could cause the mouse buttons to not work properly? If there's any other questions, please let me know. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I'm out of ideas.
I have 3 Intellimouse optical and 2 Intellimouse Explorer Optical and all return ImPS/2 Generic as identification. I don't know
why, but the driver doesn't care about it so you don't have to worry. As long as you have "ExplorerPS/2" in your config (and
the mouse supports it), it will work.

I use Event interface because in this pc i have a 10 button logitech mouse, but i changed my config to

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

And it worked perfectly.
All the 7 buttons of the Intellimouse Explorer and the 7 of the 10 buttons of the Logitech worked.

I now use 2.6.13-rc kernel but i have used the same config for years.

I was about to say that you may have forgotten to enable something in your kernel config, but mouse support is pretty
straightforward.
What kernel did you use when it worked ?
If you still have the source and they both are 2.6.X kernels, you can "diff" the two .config files and see if you have forgotten something.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scroll wheel and side buttons on Explorer3.0 Riallin Slackware 7 02-21-2005 01:20 PM
IntelliMouse thumb buttons work as root, broken as non-root user, wheel works always digital vortex Linux - Hardware 7 03-02-2004 05:14 PM
Intellimouse side buttons (yet again?) Toker Linux - Newbie 7 10-05-2003 02:55 AM
Intellimouse AND Side Buttons, HOW TO- Alternate Caoster Linux - Hardware 0 07-18-2003 05:53 AM
side-buttons. intellimouse ! sapilas Linux - Distributions 2 05-24-2002 05:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration