Installing SuSE.9.2 pro on a new SATA Hard disk
As an inexperienced Linux user, I would be very grateful for any assistance Members can offer regarding the following problem:
I operate my computer using a SATA hard disk caddie. I currently run a WinXP/SuSE 9.2 Pro dual boot system with few problems (300Gb Maxtor Diamond 10 SATA) but recently have been unable to install Linux Kernel upgrades via YaST.
To get over this I’ve decided to remove Linux from my current SATA hard disk and change instead to WinXP & SuSE using separate SATA disks in separate caddies. I’ve obtained the necessary HDD (200Gb Maxtor Diamond 10 SATA) and caddie and have tried to install SuSE 9.2 Pro (as a pre-9.3 Pro try out) but without success.
Steps completed/taken so far:
(1) SuSE HDD into caddie – OK no problem.
(2) Caddie into machine HDD recognised by bios – OK No problem.
(3) Tried to install SuSE9.2 Pro from company supplied media (DVD1) – gets as far as the YaST installation screen which throws up the following messages for Partitioning having probed my system:
“Error: No hard disks were found for the installation. Please check your hardware!”
Message displayed under Partitioning heading:
“No automatic proposal possible. Specify mount points manually in the ‘Partitioner’ dialogue.”
But. On clicking the Partitioning header:
“No disks found, please use the update CD for installation.”
Needless to say, I’m using the full SuSE 9.2 installation and have not access to a update CD (trying to install via the supplied multi-CD set doesn’t work either).
(4) Used Partition Magic 8.0 via floppies to format HDD as NTFS created small primary partition 250Mb (hidden) + Large primary partition for remainder of disk (active).
(5) Repeat of (3)
(6) Used Partition Magic 8.0 via floppies to re-format Large primary partition for remainder of disk (active) as Linux Ext 3 (active).
(7) Repeat of (3)
(8) Repeat of (4) and installed WinXP successfully on large partition. Resized large partition to approx 7.0 Gb for WinXP with remainder as unallocated space (with the ultimate intention of deleting the WinXP partition after successful Linux installation).
(9) Repeat of (3) + under Booting option YaST fails to show the WinXP system as a booting option.
(10) Loaded Partition Magic 8.0 under Windows and run to install new operating system.
(11) Repeat of (9)
I'm afraid I don’t have the knowledge to understand what’s going (or not going) on and would be very grateful if anyone could offer reasons and advice for this problem.