Mint 14 64bit XFCE (derivative of Ubuntu 12.10)
Note: I have the same problem under stock Ubuntu 12.10
HT Omega eClaro
ALSA supports C-Media CMI8788
I cannot get this soundcard to load, either at boot or by forcibly modprobing.
1. When I run 'lspci' the device is detected:
04:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
2. When I run 'lsmod' the module is not listed.
3. When I run 'cat /proc/asound/cards' the device is not listed
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xf6080000 irq 17
1 [Q9000 ]: USB-Audio - QuickCam Pro 9000
Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000 at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.3.1, high speed
4. When I run 'sudo modprobe snd-oxygen' the driver loads and is listed under lsmod, but the sound card still doesn't show in alsamixer.
snd_oxygen 20948 0
snd_oxygen_lib 41273 1 snd_oxygen
snd_mpu401_uart 14169 1 snd_oxygen_lib
Some possibly relevant websites:
- I really don't want to rip out alsa