Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Hi, I have a problem regarding setting up a tape drive. I have
consulted the supplier (HP) but they don't seem to understand the
I can use the tape drive, forward, rewind it, copy things to/from it
but it detects it as a 2GB instead of 200GB drive. I think the problem
is on the Density Code (0x40) that applies for a DLT1 drive, not for a
The specifications are as follow:
OS: SLES 9 (SuSe Linux Enterprise Server)
Kernel Ver.: 2.6.5-7.97
PC: Dell Power Edge 1800
SCSI Card: Adaptec AHA 2940W / 2940UW
SCSI Card Driver: AIC7xxx
Tape Drive: HP StorageWorks Ultrium 215 (internal)
Tape Drive Driver: mtst (provided by SLES 9)
The "mtst -f /dev/nst0 status" command gives me the following message:
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x40 (DLT1 40 GB, or Ultrium).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
On hp's site, it says that this tape drive is fully compatible with
this Linux version, so the "mtst" driver should comply it:
I'm not familiar with Suse, but I know solaris has presented a similar problem when the drive description in st.conf is not present or correctly defined it will default to a generic driver. You might look for a man page on st.conf to see how this info should be formated or search HP's site for an appropriate st.conf entry.
Finally I discover that the open source backup software I was using was forcing to set the tape capacity, instead of quering the driver, so I change it and it works now.
Anyway, thank you very much for your answer.