LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 88

Rep: Reputation: 15
how to use SVGA/VGA monitor with NEW computer ?


eager to try "more RAM" / faster processor, I jumped
at the chance to get a newish computer... one of the
Dell minis.

(deep breath)

unfortunately, after unpacking and starting to set it
up, I discovered... oops... my vga/svga monitor will
not connect to the "vga" port on this computer !

The plug types are reversed... and... different...
my monitor has 15 pins, male... but... the computer
port is 9 pins also male. I have looked for converters
without a lot of luck, but am wondering if the older
monitors will even run with this newer type computer ?

Anyone have this experience / have an answer ?

thanks
 
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
MS3FGX
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 5,852

Rep: Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351
That would be a serial port...

Modern machines will have DVI or HDMI, possibly even mini-HDMI. You can convert DVI to VGA with a simple adapter, HDMI to VGA is slightly more complicated (and expensive) as HDMI carries sound as well as video.
 
Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,721

Rep: Reputation: 192Reputation: 192
What it looks like...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-101-_-Product

You should be able to pick up an adapter almost anywhere. Just be sure that you have the combination of male(pins) and female(holes) that is right for your connection.

Last edited by thorkelljarl; 03-13-2010 at 05:57 AM.
 
Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
johnsfine
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Distribution: Centos
Posts: 5,044

Rep: Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu7 View Post
one of the Dell minis.
It has been a while since we got a new computer where I work, but the Dells we got only a couple years ago still included the adapter from their nonstandard DVI connector to a standard VGA. Look around the keyboard and manual packaging to see if you got that adapter.

You need to take a very good look at the display connector on your new computer. First you need to find it. As MS3FGX explained, that 9 pin thing you found was the serial port connector, not the display connector.

If you can identify the exact type of connector, the adapter from that to VGA is probably easy to get. But some of the non standard DVI connectors DELL has shipped look a lot like a standard DVI until you look very closely. The adapter won't work unless you get the right one.

Somewhere I saw a good web page with pictures of all the DVI connectors and DVI-like connectors. But I don't have the URL and don't know what keywords too google to find it.
 
Old 03-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
That 9-pin connector is an old RS232 serial port, it has nothing to do with monitors.

Most computers now have DVI ports instead of VGA. If you want to connect a VGA monitor to it you need a converter. My video card came with a converter which I use for my secondary monitor that only has a VGA port, I am not sure if pre-built computers come with one.

If you don't have one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...to+vga&x=0&y=0
 
Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
thorkelljarl
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,721

Rep: Reputation: 192Reputation: 192
See if it looks like one of these...

The standard DVI variations are shown in this Wikipedia link. Hopefully yours looks like one of those illustrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 88

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
a little embarrassing... this was one of two ports
which resembled old style plugs at all... I wondered
what all those funny squares could be(!).

next to the |_|-> symbol (meaning display ?) Ive
got 24 squares with four squares at end, inside two
crossing lines... dunno if this is "dvi" or what.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3FGX View Post
That would be a serial port...

Modern machines will have DVI or HDMI, possibly even mini-HDMI. You can convert DVI to VGA with a simple adapter, HDMI to VGA is slightly more complicated (and expensive) as HDMI carries sound as well as video.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 88

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
OK, yes... thats what I have... 24 squares with 4
squares at end... a "dvi" female connection theyre
calling it.

I will look for converters for 15 pin monitor plug.

thanks for your tip


Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
See if it looks like one of these...

The standard DVI variations are shown in this Wikipedia link. Hopefully yours looks like one of those illustrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 88

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
right... your office likely got the complete kit... mine
was used / repackaged, and, unfortunately, no nice cord.

No matter, thanks to you and the several others who
replied, I can now "look forward" (pun intended) to
watching all the action on my monitor, rather than on
the optical mouse, or whatever that serial port might
have connected to(!).

thanks again for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsfine View Post
It has been a while since we got a new computer where I work, but the Dells we got only a couple years ago still included the adapter from their nonstandard DVI connector to a standard VGA. Look around the keyboard and manual packaging to see if you got that adapter.

You need to take a very good look at the display connector on your new computer. First you need to find it. As MS3FGX explained, that 9 pin thing you found was the serial port connector, not the display connector.

If you can identify the exact type of connector, the adapter from that to VGA is probably easy to get. But some of the non standard DVI connectors DELL has shipped look a lot like a standard DVI until you look very closely. The adapter won't work unless you get the right one.

Somewhere I saw a good web page with pictures of all the DVI connectors and DVI-like connectors. But I don't have the URL and don't know what keywords too google to find it.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 88

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Looks right for what all these replies have been
suggesting.

I ordered directly from your link !

thanks for your reply


Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
What it looks like...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-101-_-Product

You should be able to pick up an adapter almost anywhere. Just be sure that you have the combination of male(pins) and female(holes) that is right for your connection.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,062

Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
That 9-pin connector is an old RS232 serial port, it has nothing to do with monitors.
actually you can hook a 'monitor' to a serial port but dont expect vga quality graphics or even a decent frame rate, hehe

but seriously such a 'monitor' would be called a 'terminal' and would be text only for the most part, i have one
 
Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 88

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
you know, I thought I remembered "serial port / monitor" from
somewhere... this is how the old greenie monitor attached
to an early IBM-PC, wasn't it ?

thanks for replying


Quote:
Originally Posted by frieza View Post
actually you can hook a 'monitor' to a serial port but dont expect vga quality graphics or even a decent frame rate, hehe

but seriously such a 'monitor' would be called a 'terminal' and would be text only for the most part, i have one
 
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,062

Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
no that's CGA which is a 9 pin female plug
serial is a 9 pin male plug and it would be more like a wyse terminal, or the like which would also have it's own keyboard
the old pcs with green screens wouldnt have been barely powerful enough to run an os that could handle that, but there probably weren't any written at the time
 
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
I can't say they are really "monitors" by today's standards, AFAIK are actually ASCII text erminals.
 
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
MS3FGX
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 5,852

Rep: Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351
Serial terminals are absolutely not monitors, they are their own input/output devices, and only do ASCII (and very slowly at that). I don't even know why they were brought up, they have nothing to do with this topic.
 
  


Reply

Tags
converter, monitor, plug, possible


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Black screen, works on VGA to monitor but not on VGA to TV junkjunk Ubuntu 14 07-07-2009 05:32 AM
sun workstation, svga monitor, compatibility frankie_DJ Solaris / OpenSolaris 11 11-15-2005 12:49 AM
HOWTO get your SVGA monitor work with your Sun station frankie_DJ Solaris / OpenSolaris 0 07-29-2005 05:13 AM
Vga, svga, vesa, sdl? KptnKrill Programming 6 02-20-2004 04:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration