LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
donnied
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Debian x64
Posts: 198

Rep: Reputation: 30
how to use PCI Raid card


I have a PCI raid card: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6410 ATA133 RAID controller (rev 06) with two equivalent disks connected.
(How) can I use the card to create a raid?
What do the hdd jumpers need to be set on?
Should the disks show up in fdisk?
mdadm isn't showing anything.
 
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,246

Rep: Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnied View Post
I have a PCI raid card: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6410 ATA133 RAID controller (rev 06) with two equivalent disks connected.
(How) can I use the card to create a raid?
What do the hdd jumpers need to be set on?
Should the disks show up in fdisk?
mdadm isn't showing anything.
Read the manual that came with the card...it'll tell you how to set it up, etc. The reason no disks are showing up, is because the card isn't set up right, or you don't have an array initialized (which you do in the cards BIOS).

We have no way of knowing how your HDD jumpers should be set, since you don't say anything about your system configuration, or what you're trying to do. Read the manual.
 
Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Electro
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
That card is not a RAID card. It is a storage controller. It has software RAID in its BIOS that is copied to a register in system memory to be found as a controller that handles RAID. All the tasks for RAID is handled by your computer and not the controller.

The utility mdadm is not for looking up RAID on a software RAID controller. It is used for creating a software RAID in Linux. If you want to use software RAID from your controller, use dmraid. Though the reliability and stability of dmraid is questionable and has limited management in Linux.

The card that you are using is an IDE controller, so the jumpers relates to the hard drive. They will have to be set as master or slave depending where you connect the hard drives on the cable. For RAID, put one drive per channel and set each drive as master.

I agree, RTFM.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
donnied
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Debian x64
Posts: 198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
I agree, RTFM.
Oh. wait sure. Oops wait. I'm using Linux the hardware vendor didn't include any info regarding Linux. Or possibly the problem is OS independent and boils down to hardware. Quite possibly, the card came with a minidisc that has Windows drivers for 20 different chipsets and no hardware description in the directory pertaining to the chipset at hand. I can accept both. However, I do think it completely asinine to expect that something would be well documented enough so as to justify a response such as RTFM.

Btw, it was obvious that the chipset expected software raid as most raid controllers especially the off the shelf -not 3ware- are software raid.

I don't always expect a response. There was no need to respond especially to assume I had not done due diligence. I would like to know which FM you think I should have read. The card came with no documentation and the drives don't specify jumper settings for RAID (1) arrangement.

Btw, changing jumper settings on the hard drives connected to the ide card did not make them appear.
I've taken out the card, set the jumpers, and am using mdadm for a software raid using the last IDE slot on the mb.

Last edited by donnied; 09-22-2009 at 06:47 AM.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,246

Rep: Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnied View Post
Oh. wait sure. Oops wait. I'm using Linux the hardware vendor didn't include any info regarding Linux. Or possibly the problem is OS independent and boils down to hardware. Quite possibly, the card came with a minidisc that has Windows drivers for 20 different chipsets and no hardware description in the directory pertaining to the chipset at hand. I can accept both. However, I do think it completely asinine to expect that something would be well documented enough so as to justify a response such as RTFM.

Btw, it was obvious that the chipset expected software raid as most raid controllers especially the off the shelf -not 3ware- are software raid.

I don't always expect a response. There was no need to respond especially to assume I had not done due diligence. I would like to know which FM you think I should have read. The card came with no documentation and the drives don't specify jumper settings for RAID (1) arrangement.

Btw, changing jumper settings on the hard drives connected to the ide card did not make them appear.
I've taken out the card, set the jumpers, and am using mdadm for a software raid using the last IDE slot on the mb.
Ok. Drivers for the Via technologies cards can be found at their website:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp, along with the "FM".

You don't say what version/distro you're using, but several are supported. Support for this older card was released into the kernel (2.6.14), in 2005 (reference feature request here: http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...08.3/1475.html). A how-to on RAID setup using this card can also be found on the Via website here:

http://downloads.viaarena.com%2FLinu...LnKTjXyNAbrsNw

which I found through Google.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
donnied
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Debian x64
Posts: 198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Well the search for the card revealed:
Search Result
Your search for returns a total of 0 matches.

Which is the same result as had been my previous experience.
The drivers provided on their site were only for graphics cards except for one version of Suse for which they had multiple drivers.
My profile info which is listed next to the post states that I use 64 bit Debian.
I believed that an answer could have been distro neutral and that any answer given could have been translated into Debian terms.
I should have stated before that I found a Red Hat 'how to' dating from 2002 with expired links to a drivers package but I didn't feel that was relevant. Additional research seemed to show that the card was supported in the kernel.
However, the answer that was most significant was that the disks should have appeared if one was set to master and the other set to slave.

You seriously wanted to refute what I was saying with a patch from 2005 and a dead link?

I'd really love to see you post a link for what you might imagine is the FM.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Electro
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You still need to learn about computer hardware. For starters, go to wikipedia and do some rough research on IDE or parallel ATA. Also do some research about the kernel and what it contains. Everything is starring at you.

The module or driver that you are looking for is the kernel. Since you are a Debian user, you should have seen it in the kernel when you do make menuconfig or make xconfig.

If the storage controller does not detect any storage devices during POST, any operating system will not see it although there are exceptions to certain manufactures. In this case you have to enter into the storage controller's BIOS to enable the devices or enter the parameters of the hard drives.

Any computer manufacture states their brand on a products. If they did not, they state the FCC ID and UL ID to designate their product. You can easily look this up and find who made the card.

I do not like when people like you come here to provide all the work on us such as research of hardware or problems. It is better if you came here on an error that have stumped you and can not figure out what to do after searching for the answer. Also I do not like when people use this forum to gather answers for their homework assignment. These answers can easily be found in the text book or doing research on the Internet. Third, I do not like when people come here for help, but did very little or nothing to provide sufficient information what they did and logs of their problem for me or others to make suggestions what to do. Do not throw crap in my face or others when it is your fault that is using this forum to answer homework questions and you did very little on your end.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
donnied
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Debian x64
Posts: 198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Everything is staring at me? I had no idea how to configure the drives for a raid array. They weren't showing up. This conversation has become extremely tangental.
My first post indicated that I had looked for the chipset and how to work with it. (The post should have been very reminiscent of lspci.)
I wanted to know if it would work. Yes, this will work. Or no this won't. You should see the drives pop up if the jumpers are configured properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro
If the storage controller does not detect any storage devices during POST, any operating system will not see it although there are exceptions to certain manufactures. In this case you have to enter into the storage controller's BIOS to enable the devices or enter the parameters of the hard drives.
The storage controller doesn't have a bios. I appreciate all the information you've provided. However, you have unneccessarrily exacerbated the situation. You have not used the chipset and don't know much about it. An appropriate repsonse that might have saved time was: I haven't used the chipset; however, typically the drives should appear on the POST screen.

It's my first RAID array and I now understand a bit more about the striping and alogorithms involed. I did not find anything that simply stated 'configure the jumpers as usual.' In fact, the only time I've held HDD from a raid array the jumpers were configured oddly.

I wasn't 'throwing crap in your face.' I had searched and the answers were unrevealing. I had hoped for a quick response or no response. The RTFM was uncalled for. You recommend reading about IDE and ATA. Ok. I read about the theory. That still does not answer a basic question anywhere-- the jumpers are as normal.

Btw, it's not homework or a job. I don't just come here to get answers. I also try to provide them and document things I've learned.

Which log entry would you like to have seen? I mentioned that the disks weren't showing up in fdisk. This indicated that I was unsure as to whether they should or not.
I would love to know where I could have found the information for jumper settings. Seriously. I try to do due diligence and did not find anything.
 
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,246

Rep: Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnied View Post
Well the search for the card revealed:
Search Result
Your search for returns a total of 0 matches.

Which is the same result as had been my previous experience.
The drivers provided on their site were only for graphics cards except for one version of Suse for which they had multiple drivers.
My profile info which is listed next to the post states that I use 64 bit Debian.
I believed that an answer could have been distro neutral and that any answer given could have been translated into Debian terms.
I should have stated before that I found a Red Hat 'how to' dating from 2002 with expired links to a drivers package but I didn't feel that was relevant. Additional research seemed to show that the card was supported in the kernel.
However, the answer that was most significant was that the disks should have appeared if one was set to master and the other set to slave.

You seriously wanted to refute what I was saying with a patch from 2005 and a dead link?

I'd really love to see you post a link for what you might imagine is the FM.
Sorry, the link works, and pulls up a PDF file for me. The FM was the PDF file, which you say you can't get.

There was not a patch on the page, as I said, merely a reference to where it was included into the kernel on 2005.

The Mandriva reference showed how to build an array. Also, lots of people have distros in their profile, but are using something else, which is why I asked.

Totally my fault for trying to help you. Really, I apologize...won't happen again.
 
Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
donnied
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Debian x64
Posts: 198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Iceweasel can't find the server at downloads.viaarena.com%2flinuxapplicationnotes%2fapr04%2fvia%2520ml9.2%2520raid%2520combo%2520driver %2520ver0.8a.gz&ei=bfk4sqgigskzlaf79-3kdg&rct=j&q=%2bvia+%2bvt6410+%2blinux+%2bcreate+%2barray&usg=afqjcnf7eqirhsxodsarlnktjxynabrsnw.

is what I got using your link. I've backtracked though to what you pointed out. Here's a newer copy of the link.
http://downloads.viaarena.com/LinuxA...r%20ver0.8a.gz

I unzipped the file. Thank you. I had seen it before, and I tried to find files similar to it. (I didn't think using a binary compiled for FC in 2004 was the optimal solution. Also, the link in the pdf for the binary had expired.) Maybe I should have documented this; however, I thought I might not need to comment that I had found five year old expired links for a binary for a different distro. (You're right; I could have been using a different distro.)

Also, the 'FM' does not mention jumper settings. I had two questions:
1.) Should the disk be showing up in Fdisk?
(The answer is yes.)
2.) What should the jumper settings be for the drives?
(They should be set to master and slave.)

The second answer now seems straight forward and is a precondition to answering the first. However, as the drives were not showing up with varied jumper settings I was unsure what the jumper settings should be.

I appreciate help. I really do. I understand that people are very busy. Given the deluge of requests for help, it's pretty impressive how many help requests do get answered.


Had I simply been told "have you tried out ____?" everything would have been fine. However, I was told to RTFM and there FM anywhere to be seen.


I only found issue with the fact that I was told to RTFM when 1) I couldn't find a manual for what I was doing (and no manual that has answers my question has been forthcoming regardless of what else has been said) and 2) it was presented as if I hadn't done any due diligence - which was not the case.

It began with
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOne
We have no way of knowing how your HDD jumpers should be set, since you don't say anything about your system configuration, or what you're trying to do. Read the manual.
which was followed by the rather snide
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro
I agree, RTFM.
which was absolutely uncalled for because there was no FM.

Now, it boils down to: I was told to RTFM for jumper settings. If someone can point out the manual that explains jumper settings for the card (Via VT6410) I will admit I should have RTFM. Otherwise it was just a case of hubris and misplaced aggression.

Last edited by donnied; 09-23-2009 at 07:04 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
raid, via


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAID card for PCI Express x16 slot? grrwolfe Linux - Hardware 3 06-06-2008 02:51 PM
Hardware RAID SATA 32-bit PCI card exists? eger Linux - Hardware 3 12-17-2006 12:42 PM
PCI-X Raid card wont fit in motherboards PCI Express x16 slot???? abefroman Linux - Hardware 4 12-01-2006 08:24 AM
Get grub to boot from no raid SATA controller pci card sparkbot Linux - Software 6 11-17-2006 05:40 PM
HighPoint 370A IDE PCI Card (non raid) problem slackman Linux - Hardware 6 01-02-2005 02:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration