I had some troubles setting up and using the Terratec Cinergy hybrid T usb xs fm device (lsusb: 0ccd:0072) so just to share with the community this little how to. My system is Ubuntu 7.10.
The device is an tv card (usb) that offers dvb-t (digitenne in Nederland), analogue tv and analogue fm radio.
1. Installing the driver:
Markus Rechberger and him team have done an excellent job in boulding and documenting the driver. A very good how to can be found here: http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php5/Installation_Guide
A few extra remarks:
- the document is mentions pinnacle device but also works for the terratec
- the how to starts with removing quite a few directories. Markus says this is a save way to go but I used a little causion and common sense here.
- normally the linux-headers are enough to compile your stuff. You normally don't need the full kernel source. However the dvb-core headers were not in the headers I had on my system so I nevertheless had to install the full source. I don;t quite understand this.
2. Test the install and do a frequency scan
sudo apt-get install dvb-utils
Now you need to scan the air for the channels. To do so you need a initial set up file for the location you are. For the amsterdam area (where I live) two of these files are available but none of them were complete in my dvb-utils package. So I had to download the most recent dvb-apps (from http://linuxtv.org/hg/
). Unzip and then in util/scan/dvb-t/ I found the nl-All file. Place this somewhere on you system (/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/ would be the logical location).
Now use this file to scan your frequencies:
scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/nl-All > channels.conf
This should give you file of all available channels.
3. Watch tv!
There are many frontend that you can use to watch tv (mplayer, kaffeine, vlc?) but I liked gxine best (that is easy to use, no command line stuff, etc):
sudo apt-get install gxine
Copy the channels.conf file from the previous step to ~/.xine.
Then start gxine and choose 'file - dvb'. That's its! Use page-up/page-down to switch channels.
You can remove all encrypted channels from your .xine/channells.conf so you don't have to browse then usign pgup/down.
To do/find out:
- how to watch analogue tv/fm-radio
- how to use the remote control
- how to de-crypt the encrypted/scrambled channels
- how to show 'teletekst' and the programm guide (epg)
I'll keep you posted if I found out more.
Hope this is of any help for you.
Driver for 0ccd:0072 terratec cinergy hybrid T usb xs fm