LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Donati
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Distribution: Linpus Linux
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
How do i install the linux-driver for my Canon MP510 printer?


Im having a problem installing the driver for my Canon MP510 printer.
I found the drivers here:
http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...403.asp?model=

I think these are the files i need:
cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.src.rpm
cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm

But this is all i get:

[root@localhost ~]# cd /home/Donati/incoming
[root@localhost incoming]# rpm -i cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.src.rpm
warning: user adminv270 does not exist - using root
warning: group adminv270 does not exist - using root
warning: user adminv270 does not exist - using root
warning: group adminv270 does not exist - using root
[root@localhost incoming]#

What am i doing wrong?

Im new to linux, and running Linpus Linux on an Acer Extensa 5230E
 
Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,077

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donati View Post
Im having a problem installing the driver for my Canon MP510 printer.
I found the drivers here:
http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...403.asp?model=

I think these are the files i need:
cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.src.rpm
cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm

But this is all i get:

[root@localhost ~]# cd /home/Donati/incoming
[root@localhost incoming]# rpm -i cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.src.rpm
warning: user adminv270 does not exist - using root
warning: group adminv270 does not exist - using root
warning: user adminv270 does not exist - using root
warning: group adminv270 does not exist - using root
[root@localhost incoming]#

What am i doing wrong?

Im new to linux, and running Linpus Linux on an Acer Extensa 5230E
Not a thing...that's a source rpm file, and it's installed. You have to BUILD the driver after that, though.

As root, go into the directory where your source files are specified (don't know Linpus, so I'm not sure...try /usr/src/linux). There will be a .spec file there, so you can search for it.

Run "rpm -bb <name of the .spec file>", and it'll build the package. Then install that with the "rpm -i" command, as you did the source.
 
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Donati
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Distribution: Linpus Linux
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks.. i found the .spec file here: /usr/src/linpus/SPECS/cnijfilter-common.spec

But when i try to run the "rpm -bb" command, this is the result:

[root@localhost Donati]# cd /usr/src/linpus/SPECS
[root@localhost SPECS]# rpm -bb cnijfilter-common.spec
-bb: unknown option
[root@localhost SPECS]#

Any tips appreciated
 
Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Donati
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Distribution: Linpus Linux
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I think i figured out how to install it.. (by reading the INSTALL file )

What i did:
cd /usr/src/linpus/SOURCES/
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70/cnijfilter/
./autogen.sh --program-suffix=mp510
make
make install

Does it look right so far?
To me it looked like it installed itself ok.

Then i wanted to install the second driverfile: cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm
but then i get:

rpm -i cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
cnijfilter-common >= 2.70 is needed by cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386
libxml.so.1 is needed by cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386

Does this mean cnijfilter-common is not installed?
Any tips appreciated
 
Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,077

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donati View Post
I think i figured out how to install it.. (by reading the INSTALL file )

What i did:
cd /usr/src/linpus/SOURCES/
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70/cnijfilter/
./autogen.sh --program-suffix=mp510
make
make install

Does it look right so far?
To me it looked like it installed itself ok.

Then i wanted to install the second driverfile: cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm
but then i get:

rpm -i cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
cnijfilter-common >= 2.70 is needed by cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386
libxml.so.1 is needed by cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386

Does this mean cnijfilter-common is not installed?
Any tips appreciated
Correct...it isn't installed. You need to first install the cnijfilter-common package.

Even though you ran the build, it didn't update the RPM database. The -bb option may not work on your system...like I said, I don't have alot of knowledge of Linpus, but check out the man page for rpm. There should be a "build" option (might even be "--build"), for the spec file.

You can also try "rpm -i --nodeps <cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm". The "--nodeps" means don't check the dependencies, just install it. Since you ran the make/make install, things might be ok, so give it a shot.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Donati
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Distribution: Linpus Linux
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
The "rpm -i --nodeps <cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm" worked out ok, i think.
Now when i go to the printerconfiguration tool, i have the option to select "mp510 ver. 2.70".
But when i do that, i get this message:

>Missing driver
>Printer 'MP510' requires the 'pstocanonij' program but it is not currently installed.
>Please install it before using this printer.

Then i looked for pstocanonij, and found it in:
/urs/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70/pstocanonij/

And there is an INSTALL file with instructions, this is what it says:

>To build and install pstocanonij:

> 1) Building misc libraries.
> cd ../libs
> make
> make install
> cd ..

> 2) Building "pstocanonij".
> make
> make install

But im not sure exactly how to follow these instructions?
There is no "libs" folder in
/urs/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70/pstocanonij/
 
Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
norm.h
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Had same problem with drivers for MP140 downloaded from same site.
Try downloading same drivers from the Canon-Asia site.
Double click each package to install
Mine installed trouble free.
Make sure you install the "common" file first, though
norm
 
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,077

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donati View Post
The "rpm -i --nodeps <cnijfilter-mp510-2.70-2.i386.rpm" worked out ok, i think.
Now when i go to the printerconfiguration tool, i have the option to select "mp510 ver. 2.70".
But when i do that, i get this message:

>Missing driver
>Printer 'MP510' requires the 'pstocanonij' program but it is not currently installed.
>Please install it before using this printer.

Then i looked for pstocanonij, and found it in:
/urs/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70/pstocanonij/

And there is an INSTALL file with instructions, this is what it says:

>To build and install pstocanonij:

> 1) Building misc libraries.
> cd ../libs
> make
> make install
> cd ..

> 2) Building "pstocanonij".
> make
> make install

But im not sure exactly how to follow these instructions?
There is no "libs" folder in
/urs/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70/pstocanonij/
There is probably a libs folder in /usr/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70. The first command indicates that you need to go back one level, and go into the libs directory (the "cd ../libs". The ".." indicates going back one level in the tree). You can try it from there.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Donati
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Distribution: Linpus Linux
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I failed in installing pstocanonij.. There is a libs folder in libs folder in /usr/src/linpus/SOURCES/cnijfilter-common-2.70, but when i run make there, it comes with an error that there is no make file present..

Then i tried the advice of getting the file from Canon Asia, and after installing the cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm from terminal, it works perfectly.. Yipii !!

Thanks for all your time and effort.
 
Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
norm.h
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Well done, enjoy your printer.
norm
 
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
norm.h
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Donati,
The Linux drivers don't carry much information on the printer itself.
I downloaded the USER GUIDES on the Installation CD to my daughter's Windows machine and printed off what I needed. The Routine Maintenance and Errors pages are particularly helpful.
norm
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cannot install Canon PIXMA iP1300 printer on Linux nfbueno Linux - Hardware 4 08-05-2011 10:43 PM
How to install canon printer driver in Suse 11 sorvad Suse/Novell 9 12-03-2008 07:56 AM
tip: the right driver to install a Canon i850 printer with newbiesforever Linux - Hardware 0 02-01-2008 01:02 PM
How To Install Into My Slaxkware-linux My Printer Canon Pixma Ip1000 conrado Slackware 1 11-09-2006 10:09 AM
Printer Canon IR1210 linux driver Philippe Linux - Hardware 1 06-04-2004 10:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration