LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
esfahan2000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: iran
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
High Refresh Rate


Hi.
After installing nvidia driver in my debian6 .
my screen is not good .i think its nt good for my eyes.
its like whene you have Windows but you havnt install card grafic driver.
And now i understood that i should change the Refresh Rate because its high(85 HZ).i search but the solution not worked.
Help me plz
Thanks
 
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
esfahan2000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: iran
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I forgot some information:
My grafic card is Nvidia and this is the output of my xorg.conf:
Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Thu May 31 12:36:44 PDT 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
 
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
business_kid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware & Android
Posts: 6,369

Rep: Reputation: 557Reputation: 557Reputation: 557Reputation: 557Reputation: 557Reputation: 557
Normally you don't need an xorg.conf, but can put some bits in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d if you need to change things. X will default to 640x480 @31.5khz if it can't set up. It's probably the resolution you need to increase.

My first suggestion is to remove configuration stuff from /etc/X11/xorg.conf & xorg.conf.d and try it. Tell us what happened. Also post the output of this command

glxinfo |grep render
 
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
We need more information about this:
1. Which video card do you have exactly (you can use lspci to determine that)?
2. Which driver in which version have you installed and how exactly did you do that? Where there any error-messages?
 
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
esfahan2000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: iran
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
We need more information about this:
1. Which video card do you have exactly (you can use lspci to determine that)?
2. Which driver in which version have you installed and how exactly did you do that? Where there any error-messages?
this is the output of lspci:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)
02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
and i installed nvidia driver(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.59.run).i download it from nvidia site.
the problem accured whene i was installing the drive it delet something from my kernel.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfahan2000 View Post
And now i understood that i should change the Refresh Rate because its high(85 HZ)
Higher refresh rates are better for the eyes / brain (assuming we're talking CRT). So 85Hz is fine. Once you increase the resolution, the (vertical) refresh rate might go down

Please post the specs of your monitor or the make / model of your monitor; we might need them.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Servers: Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. Desktop: Slackware64 14.0. Netbook: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 8,546
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Reminder: what is the output of glxinfo | grep render ?

And what is the output of xrandr ?
 
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfahan2000 View Post
my screen is not good .i think its nt good for my eyes.

And now i understood that i should change the Refresh Rate because its high(85 HZ)
High refresh rates with CRTs are a Good Thing. With CRTs, using 60Hz/75Hz is far more likely to cause eye strain than 85Hz. Note- 60Hz refresh rates on LCDs/LEDs are fine, due to differences in the ways that CRT and LCD/LED monitors work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfahan2000 View Post
this is the output of lspci:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)
02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
and i installed nvidia driver(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.59.run).i download it from nvidia site.
the problem accured whene i was installing the drive it delet something from my kernel.
If you have a FX5500, you cant use the 295.XX drivers...they do not support the FX/5XXX video cards.

For a FX5500, you want nVidia 173.XX drivers, or nouveau (nouveau is the free open source nVidia card drivers).
 
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
esfahan2000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: iran
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
High refresh rates with CRTs are a Good Thing. With CRTs, using 60Hz/75Hz is far more likely to cause eye strain than 85Hz. Note- 60Hz refresh rates on LCDs/LEDs are fine, due to differences in the ways that CRT and LCD/LED monitors work.



If you have a FX5500, you cant use the 295.XX drivers...they do not support the FX/5XXX video cards.

For a FX5500, you want nVidia 173.XX drivers, or nouveau (nouveau is the free open source nVidia card drivers).
thanks.
So how can i remove this driver?
By usin apt-get remove nvidia?
 
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
You shouldnt need to remove the 295.XX nVidia drivers, they should never have installed with a FX5500.

Try running the commands that catkin gave you. That will show you the glx driver you are using. Post the results! In 'code' tags is best, it keeps the forum neater. The button to get 'code' tags is the '#' button, over the reply area when you use 'advanced post'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
Reminder: what is the output of glxinfo | grep render ?

And what is the output of xrandr ?
Also, this might help as well-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
Please post the specs of your monitor or the make / model of your monitor; we might need them.
BTW, its always a good idea to list the distro and version you are using in post #1.

*edit- doh, forgot the more important bit- 'and tells us what you remember about how you caused your problem'.

Last edited by cascade9; 10-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
esfahan2000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: iran
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ok.Thanks.
My monitor is LG T730BH.
And this is the output of xrand:
Code:
root@Debian:~# xrandr 
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 175, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       50.0*    51.0     52.0     53.0     54.0  
   960x540        55.0  
   840x525        56.0     57.0  
   832x624        58.0  
   800x600        59.0     60.0     61.0     62.0     63.0     64.0  
   800x512        65.0  
   720x450        66.0  
   720x400        67.0  
   680x384        68.0     69.0  
   640x512        70.0  
   640x480        71.0     72.0     73.0     74.0     75.0  
   640x400        76.0  
   640x350        77.0  
   576x432        78.0     79.0     80.0     81.0  
   512x384        82.0     83.0     84.0     85.0     86.0  
   416x312        87.0  
   400x300        88.0     89.0     90.0     91.0     92.0  
   360x200        93.0  
   320x240        94.0     95.0     96.0     97.0  
   320x200        98.0  
   320x175        99.0
And in my first post i wrote my distro is debian 6.
and now i realized that i cant change number of desktop work space.it's because of card grafic?
 
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
Higher refresh rates are better for the eyes / brain (assuming we're talking CRT). So 85Hz is fine. Once you increase the resolution, the (vertical) refresh rate might go down

Please post the specs of your monitor or the make / model of your monitor; we might need them.
I agree, higher refresh rates are better on CRT or LCD. However, it doesn't really matter, because the OP is convinced already.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfahan2000 View Post
My monitor is LG T730BH.
1280x1024 @ 60Hz, 1024x768 @ 85Hz. Much better running at 1024x768 @ 85Hz if you want to avoid eyestrain.

The 'glxinfo | grep render' info will help us to fiure out if you do have the nVidia drivers installed (I really doubt that they are).
 
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
The xrandr output does not seem to match your 85Hz. It indicates 1024x768 @ 50Hz

The important details for your monitor (taken from the user manual that I could find on the web):
Quote:
horizontal freq : 30-71 kHz
vertical freq : 50-160Hz

max resolution: 1280x1024 (@60Hz)
recommended resolution : 1024x768 (@85Hz)
You have to do some calculations as shown below to calculate a mode line
Code:
wim@wim-desktop:~$ cvt 1024 768 85
# 1024x768 84.89 Hz (CVT 0.79M3) hsync: 68.68 kHz; pclk: 94.50 MHz
Modeline "1024x768_85.00"   94.50  1024 1096 1200 1376  768 771 775 809 -hsync +vsync
Next create a new mode based on the calculations and add it
Code:
wim@wim-desktop:~$ xrandr --newmode "1024x768_85.00"   94.50  1024 1096 1200 1376  768 771 775 809 -hsync +vsync
wim@wim-desktop:~$ xrandr --addmode VGA1 1024x768_85.00
And the last step is to use the new mode
Code:
wim@wim-desktop:~$ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768_85.00
This is a non-permanent change (as far as I know). Note that everywhere where it reads VGA1, you need to change it to default as that's what is in the output of YOUR xrandr command; I've marked it in blue and underlined it.

Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; 10-04-2012 at 06:15 AM.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
If the above works, you can add the following at the end of the xorg.conf file (you need root permissions to change it).

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "LG"
    ModelName      "T730BH"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 71.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
    Option         "DPMS"

    Modeline "1024x768_85.00"   94.50  1024 1096 1200 1376  768 771 775 809 -hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    VendorName     "nVidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "1024x768_85.00"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
And that should do the trick to make it permanent.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Refresh rate too high with Nouveau LM13 Mate intok Linux Mint 5 06-24-2012 12:00 PM
Refresh rate too high with Nouveau LM13 Mate intok Linux Mint 1 06-19-2012 06:26 PM
debian refresh rate too high foothead Linux - Newbie 4 12-01-2009 07:40 PM
How can I set high monitor refresh rate in Mandrake? Dimm0 Linux - Hardware 0 11-03-2004 02:08 PM
refresh rate is to high ethanlindsey Linux - Hardware 1 09-23-2004 06:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration