LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2002, 09:04 AM   #1
jtlinux1967
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Posts: 31

Rep: Reputation: 15
High Point 37x Raid and RH 8.0


Does anyone have a solid grip on how to get RH 8 to run on a high point 370 raid?

I have the latest hpt bios (2.31)..I can get linux to install using the hpt37x2 disk I found on this forum...but it won't boot from it.
Doesn't seem to mount /dev/sda.....and or the mod isn't getting into the kernel. I have the 2.4.19 kernel compiled in.
I have the open source hpt37x2 driver but that pukes on the install.. make KERNELDIR=/usr/srclinux-2.4.19 SMP=1
Not sure if this is correct...



Yes I could use the software raid BUT I bought the board for the raid and want to use it. Others have claimed to get it to go...
SOS
jtlinux

Abit vp6
dual p3's @ 1000 mhz
768 megO ram
ATI radian 8500DV
SB live prodogy platnum
2 Quantum ata 100 7200 rpm 20 gig drives raid 0..well I hope so anyway
 
Old 12-02-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
Siftah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Manchester, UK
Distribution: Variety
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm using RedHat 8 with HPT370 RAID at the moment and it works fine, however I'm just using this as a secondary drive, *not* a boot drive as you request. However this may be useful...

I downloaded the open source driver from the HighPoint website and followed the configuration instructions to make and compile the kernel, make sure you comment the lines out in your kernel source as requested, I used the latest kernel source for this and configured the kernel as I usually would (including generic SCSI support as mentioned in the instructions).

Your compile line looks fine "KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4 ATHLON=1" or something along those lines worked for me...

Compiling with GCC 3 will give you a kernel module which will work, but will need to be force insmod'd, (insmod -f).

(There appears to be some pre-compiled code in the module somewhere which has been compiled with GCC 2.x, hence it won't autoload, There's ways around this which you will have to investigate to get the machine to boot off the raid, for my purposes I was happy bodging...).

I added the following lines to my rc.local to load the kernel module and mount the raid drive at system startup time...

/sbin/insmod -f /root/hpt/hpt37x2.o
mount /dev/sda1 /raid

This is all quick and dirty and not recommended, but I'm a quick and dirty and not recommended type of person, it works for me
 
Old 12-02-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
Vin
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: RH8.0
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...6&goto=newpost

Check this thread out y'all, it contains all the info one needs! I'll be sticking around so if you have any questions I'll be able to help you.

But plz next time use the "search" function since the solution to your problem is found on this very forum..

grtz

[edit] ok, sorry, I read your post, so you must have found the boot disk from sharky. I don't understand how you compiled 2.4.19 in, but I know what worked for me:

- create the bootdisk
- boot from it (regular, not linux text, expert or something, just an enter)
- insert my 1337 RH8.0 CD1
- wait for the "do you want to load a driver disk" message (after selected setup method (local driver/cdrom))
- press CTRL-ALT-F2
- insmod /modules/hpt37x2.o
- continue install
- BEFORE PRESSING EXIT:
Quote:

1. Press Ctrl-Alt-F2

At the prompt type the following commands:

2. chroot /mnt/sysimage (you should be able to 'ls' and see the /boot directory)
3. mkdir /mnt/floppy

Insert the disc with the new boot files:

4. mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
5. cp /mnt/floppy/initrd-2.4.18-14.img /boot
6. cp /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 /boot
7. umount /mnt/floppy

8. Press Ctrl-Alt-F7
9. Press Exit to complete the installation

During the reboot I still get the following:
umount /initrd device is busy [FAILED]
But it doesn't seem to effect anything.
(This is a copy paste of the thread I linked to above, page 2, post from Milo)

That worked for me. I'm (still) an utter newbie in Linux so I don't have a clue how to compile the 2.4.19 kernel 'n stuff. But Linux runs stable enough.

good luck

Last edited by Vin; 12-02-2002 at 02:12 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
finegan
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2001
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 57
One thing that struck me, since I've got an HPT370 also and this befuddled me for a few minutes... Did you put the HPT in the boot order in BIOS?

Cheers,

Finegan
 
Old 12-02-2002, 05:21 PM   #5
jtlinux1967
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for all the replys,
Vin, you must have an Athlon system..the boot files from Sharky's boot disk
will only work on Athlon systems. I'm running a pentium based rig, and a smp one on top of it. Please correct me if I am wrong...how I got the 2.4.19 kernel ....before the install exits I switch to V2 and mount the spare drive I have and compile the new Kernel and copy over the image and boot files etc...I had heard that this would be the cure all..nope it wasn't.


Fingan, yes changing th boot order in the bios was the first thing I did.

Sifta, because I am mounting the sysimage I can't ins anything because the real kernel is not running..I think I'm still working off the floppy. ??

I will post my install in more detail..maybe this will help out
 
Old 12-02-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
sharkyr0lz
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2002
Location: spain :)
Distribution: Gentoo (Old redhat and debian user)
Posts: 112

Rep: Reputation: 15
Re: High Point 37x Raid and RH 8.0

Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
Does anyone have a solid grip on how to get RH 8 to run on a high point 370 raid?

I have the latest hpt bios (2.31)..I can get linux to install using the hpt37x2 disk I found on this forum...but it won't boot from it.
I have no experience in SMP kernels, ... but, ... i think that the floopy does not boot because it is compiled to work with 1 processor,... isn't it?

Can you boot the kernel of this floopy? or the problems come latter?

Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
Doesn't seem to mount /dev/sda.....and or the mod isn't getting into the kernel. I have the 2.4.19 kernel compiled in.
I have the open source hpt37x2 driver but that pukes on the install.. make KERNELDIR=/usr/srclinux-2.4.19 SMP=1
Not sure if this is correct...
Sorry but my poor english but, ... what is "pukes"? (hangs up?)
If you compile your own kernel you must disable the old hpt chipsets support inside the kernel config and drop 2 lines from the ide-pci.c (as described in the highpoint's documentantion)

If you want to exchange the installer's kernel with your own one i suggest you 2 thinks: rename the kernel version inside the "Makefile" from 2.4.19Custom to 2.4.19BOOT and use the "config" file from "/boot/config-2.4.19BOOT" wich comes with the boot kernel binary.


Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
Yes I could use the software raid BUT I bought the board for the raid and want to use it. Others have claimed to get it to go...
SOS
jtlinux

Abit vp6
dual p3's @ 1000 mhz
768 megO ram
ATI radian 8500DV
SB live prodogy platnum
2 Quantum ata 100 7200 rpm 20 gig drives raid 0..well I hope so anyway
I am sure that it works (but this isn't easy)
 
Old 12-02-2002, 05:58 PM   #7
jtlinux1967
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Sharky, no the system won't boot from the floppy into the system.....
Of course I may have to tell it what to boot perhaps? Basicly here is the process I have used so far. Boot from the floppy (sharky's)....with the Rh cd in the drive. Right after it ask me to do the medea check I switch to a virtual terminal do a /bin/insmod /modules/hpt37x2.o and then go back to the gui install.....the installer sees the mirror as /dev/sda ..so far so good. If I leave it alone and let the install go as normal the system will reboot and I get errors on the boot..hde and hdg has lost interupt and will continue until the kernel panic ..no init found. I have recompiled the kernel before at the last step of the install before you exit and it was the same thing. It appears that /sda is not getting mounted. I am getting ready to do the install again and document everything......I'll monitor the forum with the laptop. Thanks for all the help so far...I may be doing somethin wrong on the recompile...
 
Old 12-02-2002, 07:12 PM   #8
sharkyr0lz
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2002
Location: spain :)
Distribution: Gentoo (Old redhat and debian user)
Posts: 112

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
Sharky, no the system won't boot from the floppy into the system.....
Of course I may have to tell it what to boot perhaps? Basicly here is the process I have used so far. Boot from the floppy (sharky's)....with the Rh cd in the drive. Right after it ask me to do the medea check I switch to a virtual terminal do a /bin/insmod /modules/hpt37x2.o and then go back to the gui install.....the installer sees the mirror as /dev/sda ..so far so good.
OK ,... the install ends,...

Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
If I leave it alone and let the install go as normal the system will reboot and I get errors on the boot..hde and hdg has lost interupt and will continue until the kernel panic ..no init found.

I have recompiled the kernel before at the last step of the install before you exit and it was the same thing. It appears that /sda is not getting mounted. I am getting ready to do the install again and document everything......I'll monitor the forum with the laptop. Thanks for all the help so far...I may be doing somethin wrong on the recompile...
[/B][/QUOTE]

OK,... so, ... you are trying to use the kernel provided in the rpms inside the redhat CD-ROMs,...

That kernels does not work, ...

Before reboot in the installer you should go to /usr/src/linux, ... copy your /boot/config-2.4.....SMP (i dont remember wich version :P,... you must know better than me :P) to /usr/src/linux/.config. (remember that / is not / if you don't run chroot)

drop the lines of ide-pci.c

modify the "Makefile" to change the version of the kernel ( BOOT -> SMP )

run make menuconfig and disable the hpt* support inside IDE.

build the kernel, ...

build the hpt37x2.o

copy that to /lib/modules/2..../kernel/drivers/scsi

build a new initrd preloading hpt37x2.o (needs scsi_mod.o and sd_mod.o)

run lilo if needed, ...

thats the end :P
 
Old 12-02-2002, 07:54 PM   #9
jtlinux1967
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I think a few of the steps is where I'm going wrong....
I am a bit week on building the inird.img but I will have a go at it..
also...I have had problems building the hpt37x2.o but If I run into any issue I will document them.
Thanks for your help .you are the man!
 
Old 12-02-2002, 09:53 PM   #10
jtlinux1967
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok, a couple of dumb questions...
On the Makefile you do mean the one under /usr/src/linux-2.4 and not the one under /usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/ide ?

Also the lines inder ide-pci.c there are allot of entries for both the htp345 and the and the 366.. could you "please" be more detailed...I am getting errors on the make dep
thank you
 
Old 12-03-2002, 01:43 AM   #11
Vin
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: RH8.0
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
[B]Thanks for all the replys,
Vin, you must have an Athlon system..the boot files from Sharky's boot disk
Yeah I do.. so I guess I can't help you any further :*(
 
Old 12-03-2002, 03:54 AM   #12
sharkyr0lz
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2002
Location: spain :)
Distribution: Gentoo (Old redhat and debian user)
Posts: 112

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
Ok, a couple of dumb questions...
On the Makefile you do mean the one under /usr/src/linux-2.4 and not the one under /usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/ide ?
/usr/src/linux-2.4/Makefile

Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
Also the lines inder ide-pci.c there are allot of entries for both the htp345 and the and the 366.. could you "please" be more detailed...I am getting errors on the make dep
thank you
Thats diferent in all the kernel versions :P look at mine:
Code:
        {DEVID_HPT34X,  "HPT34X",       FIXUP_HPT34X,   PCI_HPT34X,     NULL,           INIT_HPT34X,    NULL,           {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   NEVER_BOARD,    16 },
        {DEVID_HPT366,  "HPT366",       FIXUP_HPT366,   PCI_HPT366,     ATA66_HPT366,   INIT_HPT366,    DMA_HPT366,     {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   OFF_BOARD,      240 },
        {DEVID_HPT372,  "HPT372A",      NULL,           PCI_HPT366,     ATA66_HPT366,   INIT_HPT366,    DMA_HPT366,     {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   OFF_BOARD,      0 },
        {DEVID_HPT302,  "HPT302",       NULL,           PCI_HPT366,     ATA66_HPT366,   INIT_HPT366,    DMA_HPT366,     {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   OFF_BOARD,      0 },
        {DEVID_HPT371,  "HPT371",       NULL,           PCI_HPT366,     ATA66_HPT366,   INIT_HPT366,    DMA_HPT366,     {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   OFF_BOARD,      0 },
        {DEVID_HPT374,  "HPT374",       FIXUP_HPT374,   PCI_HPT366,     ATA66_HPT366,   INIT_HPT366,    DMA_HPT366,     {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   OFF_BOARD,      0 },
probably you will have only 2 lines, ... but i am sure that you will have at least:

Code:
        {DEVID_HPT366,  "HPT366",       FIXUP_HPT366,   PCI_HPT366,     ATA66_HPT366,   INIT_HPT366,    DMA_HPT366,     {{0x00,0x00,0x00}, {0x00,0x00,0x00}},   OFF_BOARD,      240 },
Quote:
Originally posted by jtlinux1967
I think a few of the steps is where I'm going wrong....
I am a bit week on building the inird.img but I will have a go at it..
also...I have had problems building the hpt37x2.o but If I run into any issue I will document them.
Thanks for your help .you are the man!
Are you using the oficial hpt37x2lib.o ? if you are doing so you will need to load the hpt37x2.o with "-f" ... probably your initrd does not work because makeinitrd is not using "-f"

You can create the initrd you need if you copy hpt37x2.o to /lib/modules/2.4.../kernel/drivers/scsi/ and run:

/sbin/mkinitrd -f --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod --preload ext3 --with=hpt37x2 /boot/initrd-2.4........img 2.4....

And if you want you can work with the files inside initrd, ... :

mkdir /boot/shit
cd /boot/shit
zcat ../initrd-2.4...........img > init
mkdir mnttmp
mount init mnttmp -o loop
cd mnttmp
#now do all you need,...
cd ..
umount mnttmp
gzip init
cp init.gz ../initrd-2.4.........img

#and thats all

Last edited by sharkyr0lz; 12-03-2002 at 03:56 AM.
 
Old 12-03-2002, 04:28 AM   #13
Siftah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Manchester, UK
Distribution: Variety
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Guys,

I think the problem you're missing here is thus:

The hpt module as compiled from the 'open source' distribution of the driver on the HighPoint website, creates a module which needs to be insmod -f'd into the kernel.

The first problem you need to get over is how to force the kernel to accept this module, I'd suggest following the instructions on: http://www.terra.es/personal2/capullator/#CHEAT

Quote:
if you modify hpt37x2lib.o with an hex editor changin the strings:

"gcc2_compiled" -> "gcc3_compiled"
"CC: (GNU) 2.96" -> "GCC: (GNU) 3.2 " (note the space)

you can use the precompiled highpoint "opensource" (note the quotes) with a gcc3 compilied kernel!!!
You'll probably need to make a new initrd with this module (and the scsi one) pre-loaded, ie: /sbin/mkinitrd -f --preload scsi_mod --preload hpt37x2 /boot/initrd-2.4.19.img 2.4.19

All untested! just typing what I'm thinking after reading everyones posts, If you guys get it working then I may even try having a go myself
 
Old 12-03-2002, 04:52 AM   #14
sharkyr0lz
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2002
Location: spain :)
Distribution: Gentoo (Old redhat and debian user)
Posts: 112

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Siftah
Guys,

I think the problem you're missing here is thus:

The hpt module as compiled from the 'open source' distribution of the driver on the HighPoint website, creates a module which needs to be insmod -f'd into the kernel.

The first problem you need to get over is how to force the kernel to accept this module, I'd suggest following the instructions on: http://www.terra.es/personal2/capullator/#CHEAT



You'll probably need to make a new initrd with this module (and the scsi one) pre-loaded, ie: /sbin/mkinitrd -f --preload scsi_mod --preload hpt37x2 /boot/initrd-2.4.19.img 2.4.19

All untested! just typing what I'm thinking after reading everyones posts, If you guys get it working then I may even try having a go myself
Humm i'm not missing this, ... because i wrote this, ... :P
the hpt37x2lib.o with this changes goes inside the tar that he downloaded.
 
Old 12-04-2002, 05:53 PM   #15
jtlinux1967
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Posts: 31

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Shark, well it's been a rough couple of nights..I ask myself why I put myself threw this s@#t.
But I can say I'm making progress...the reasons my lines in ide-pci.c looked different is that I was editing it in vi wich as you know does like this word wrap thing...tneds to pop errors when you cut out little peices of the next line....ya that was stupid.
Ok so I ge threw the install ok, I chose to use the 2.4.19 kernel when I did the recompile..followed your instructions to the letter.
all my makes ran fine, at last...and I finilly got the open source driver to compile on my machine, I cheated I used your lib...o.cheat file in place of the one in the open source tar...seemed to compile ok..got that coppied...although I did have to creatthe scsi dir inder /lib/modules..? make my initrd..etc...etc looked good so far.....so I went to do my hopefully first successfull boot and BANG...lilo screwed me again LI...
so using your boot disk & linux rescue..mounted sysimage figured I would install grub..didn't go so well..somehow the mirror set got broke..game over..5 hours of work done the crapper....so I am at it agin tonight..but it did raise a question...lilo of course doesn't like to be anywhere but on the first ide chanel does grub suffer the same limit?...So if I can get threw the install and recompile ..etc how do I boot this rig? The make boot disk thats created during the install doesn't work but I think thats in another post somewhere..as always many thanks..YOU ARE THE MAN!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high point raid and adaptec scsi card frean Linux - Software 1 06-10-2004 11:08 AM
high point raid and adaptec scsi card frean Linux - General 1 03-09-2004 08:30 AM
Read hat XP dual boot with High Point Raid Controller elmidwill Red Hat 3 11-08-2003 08:19 AM
High-Point Rocket133 + Slack 9 Narooze Linux - Hardware 0 04-24-2003 08:09 AM
High Point 372 Raid and Mandrake 9 lisnalinchy Linux - Hardware 0 12-04-2002 05:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration