LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
The Dew
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
Help with ATI Radeon Xpress 200


My specs follow as.....

ASUS A8R-MX (Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200)
AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3400+
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (Integrated in AUSE A8R-MX)
SATA Maxtor 160gig

I have read that my video card doesn't work very well with linux. Every distro(Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu) always freeze or lock up on me. It usally turns a bright blue color and you can't go into the terminal via CTRL + Shift + F1.

Is there anyway I can use linux? There isn't nothing wrong with my hardware, because windows(Vista and XP) work fine on my computer. I have also, Had linux working on my computer before.
 
Old 02-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
squisher
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Abq, NM
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: 15
I don't have an ATI, but some hints for you:

So which distributions did you really try out on the computer?

Have you tried both the official, binary only ATI driver (called fglrx), and the opensource one that comes with X.org (I think it's called radeon)? If you are having trouble with one, give the other a shot.
 
Old 02-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
rickh
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Distribution: Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64 Desktop: Generic AMD64-EVGA 680i Laptop: Generic Intel SIS-AC97
Posts: 4,250

Rep: Reputation: 60
I also have that integrated video card. Works great. Keep trying.

Maybe post the Device, Monitor, and Screen sections of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Last edited by rickh; 02-10-2007 at 05:59 PM.
 
Old 02-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
The Dew
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by squisher
I don't have an ATI, but some hints for you:

So which distributions did you really try out on the computer?

Have you tried both the official, binary only ATI driver (called fglrx), and the opensource one that comes with X.org (I think it's called radeon)? If you are having trouble with one, give the other a shot.
I tried Fedora Core 6 X86_64 and X86, openSUSE 10.2 and Ubuntu(Including Kubutu).

Fedora Core and openSUSE freeze when I'm using the computer, and Ubuntu freezes during installation.

Yes, I tried the official driver from Ati.amd.com, and used the driver that came with the distros. Didn't try the open source driver, don't know where you get it. But got this from Wikipedia.....

Quote:
As of the 8.25.18 Linux driver release R200 support is completely broken. There has been no comment from ATI on the problem.
 
Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
BogusTrumper
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Posts: 77

Rep: Reputation: 15
I've had this problem before; it's no fun. Fedora does badly with ATI cards, and NVidia cards don't work either. The problem seems to be that neither ATI nor NVidia want to make drivers for linux.

The solution for me (I use Fedora 5) has been the Livna repository. It works pretty well with yum (big plus for me; I like being able to update without a lot of hassle). For great instructions, I'd recommend hopping over to Stanton Finley's website: http://stanton-finley.net/

I haven't yet had it in me to play with Fedora 6 yet, but I'd bet this would work similarly; Livna is pretty good about keeping up with the kernel updates on their repository, no reason they wouldn't have made the jump to FC6.
 
Old 02-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
rickh
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Distribution: Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64 Desktop: Generic AMD64-EVGA 680i Laptop: Generic Intel SIS-AC97
Posts: 4,250

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
As of the 8.25.18 Linux driver release R200 support is completely broken. There has been no comment from ATI on the problem.
I don't know about that, but I'm using version 8.31.5 with zero problems.
Code:
debian64:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
.
.
.
.
debian64:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON XPRESS Series Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6174 (8.31.5)
debian64:~$
Of course I use Debian, and we Debian folks learn to just kind of expect things to work.
 
Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
The Dew
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusTrumper
I've had this problem before; it's no fun. Fedora does badly with ATI cards, and NVidia cards don't work either. The problem seems to be that neither ATI nor NVidia want to make drivers for linux.

The solution for me (I use Fedora 5) has been the Livna repository. It works pretty well with yum (big plus for me; I like being able to update without a lot of hassle). For great instructions, I'd recommend hopping over to Stanton Finley's website: http://stanton-finley.net/

I haven't yet had it in me to play with Fedora 6 yet, but I'd bet this would work similarly; Livna is pretty good about keeping up with the kernel updates on their repository, no reason they wouldn't have made the jump to FC6.
Thank You!

I have been trying to figure this problem out for about 1 week and it ain't been fun. Glad someone knew what I'm talking about.

Sucks, I just put Windows XP back on my computer, but I don't mind reinstalling linux.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 izelpii Linux - Hardware 44 10-30-2007 10:00 AM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (X200) in Slackware 11 mfcardenas Slackware 1 11-19-2006 07:03 PM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated 3D OpenGL Problems on SUSE greenbox Linux - Hardware 2 03-13-2006 05:31 PM
Graphic accelaration on ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series seshank Linux - Software 1 12-18-2005 06:41 PM
Graphic accelaration on ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series seshank Fedora 3 10-20-2005 04:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration