Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
You need to understand that companies write software for Windows. Because of this the Linux community have to reverse engineer the code for the card above or any HDTV card to work.
You can get the AVerMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 or KWORLD ATSC-110 to capture high quality video from S-Video. I think these cards uses Philips SAA7135 chip. I suggset getting the Kworld card because it looks like it has audio output to feed it to the sound card. The SAA713x module in Linux does not have good support for audio capture, so you have to use a sound card. I suggest Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT for good sound recordings.
Thanks, but I'd rather not record, than record SVideo.
If have a source device which puts out DVI-D, what is the nature of that signal? Is it LVDS, encoding digital data? If so, how is the speed rated, with symbols, or bits, or what? What modulation? What else should be known about the signal?
Assuming my DVI-D is not HDCP, what does this mean if I want to record HD video? If the data rate is too high to record, why hasn't Firewire-800 had the same problem?
The price tag is way too high for anybody unless you have won the lottery or getting paid as much as Bill Gates. The equipment is for studios that invest in billions of dollars for a movie. It is ok to dream but you have to gauge your obession of quality versus your bank account.
You need to ask your self is your satellite TV provider sending you true HDTV or psuedo "fake" HDTV content? If it is fake, there is no point buying high quality video capture equipment. Probably 99% of the content on your unit is fake HDTV. The other 1% is HDTV. If you buy a DV recorder and hook up to your computer through IEEE-1394, it will still provide you the best quality and it will be in your price range. If your unit recorded in a lossy compression like MPEG, again there is no point to get very, very, very expensive equipment.
On my shows, I can get by using a 422p YUV color space which provides 16 bit color (actually its 15 bit color) at a resolution of 360x480. The amount that ffmpeg HuffYUV will take up is about 20 GB per hour and this is with out sound. If I want to include sound using PCM as the codec in the recording, I need at least two (2) hard drives in RAID-0 (stripping) to handle the throughput during writting. My sound card (Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1) can record at a sampling rate of 96 KHz at 24-bit stereo, but that will waste too much space. CD quality sound is all I need. Of course I will be using XFS as my filesystem.
I see. If I'm understanding, what you suggest is buying a video camera and recording the image from my screen?
The Kona card is $975, not as bad as you'd think.
I am gathering now, that my Dish 942 DVR puts out HDMI without HDCP. I had understood that HDMI always is HDCP, but a credible source on AVSForum says not for this DVR. This eliminates the need for an HDCP stripper.
However, with the Kona card, I'd need to convert DVI to SDI, and I don't really trust that, plus I don't have the PCI-X needed. I could upgrade, but I'm starting to think that just recording component HD would be a better solution for now. Of course the interface card would need to compress in hardware, to relieve the disk. I don't care what compression format, as I could transcode to DiVX off-line.
So I guess that's the direction I'm reluctantly forking now.