Originally posted by smurf4life
i have simiar woes. I just bought the pvr 250 (980). But I am stuck at the installation of the ivtv drivers. When it comes to testing (cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg) I get a no device found.
when I do a ivtv-detect i get
no v4l device: /dev/video
no v4l device: /dev/radio
no v4l device: /dev/vbi
no v4l device: /dev/video0
no v4l device: /dev/radio0
no v4l device: /dev/vbi0
no v4l device: /dev/video1
no v4l device: /dev/radio1
no v4l device: /dev/vbi1
no v4l device: /dev/video2
no v4l device: /dev/radio2
no v4l device: /dev/vbi2
no v4l device: /dev/video3
no v4l device: /dev/radio3
no v4l device: /dev/vbi3
no v4l device: /dev/video16
no v4l device: /dev/video32
the output of my dmesg |grep ivtv
smurf@linux:~> dmesg |grep ivtv
ivtv: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv: version 0.3.2 (c) loading
ivtv: Linux version: 184.108.40.206-21.9-default 586 REGPARM gcc-3.3
ivtv: In case of problems please include the debug info
ivtv: between the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines when
ivtv: mailing the ivtv-devel mailinglist.
ivtv: Autodetected WinTV PVR 250 card
ivtv: Found an iTVC16 based chip
ivtv: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
ivtv: XXX PCI device: 0x01e0 vendor: 0x10de
i2c-algo-bit.o: ivtv i2c driver #0 passed test.
tveeprom: ivtv version
ivtv: i2c attach [client=tveeprom,ok]
ivtv: Tuner Type 50, Tuner formats 0x00001000, Radio: yes, Model 0x008d1659, Revision 0x00000000
ivtv: NTSC tuner detected
ivtv: Radio detected
tuner (ivtv): chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv: i2c attach [client=(tuner unset),ok]
saa7115: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)
ivtv: i2c attach [client=saa7115,ok]
msp34xx: ivtv version
ivtv: i2c attach [client=MSP3445G-B8,ok]
ivtv: requesting firmware
ivtv: firmware load failed
ivtv: failed loading encoder firmware
ivtv: Error loading firmware -3!
ivtv: Error -3 initializing firmware.
ivtv: Error -12 on initialization
ivtv-iTVC15_16_mpg2_encoder_card: probe of 0000:01:09.0 failed with error -12
ivtv: ==================== END INIT IVTV ====================
I am guessing its the firmware. I did follow the intructions closely but to no avail.
I am runing suse 9.3
Ok I got mine working, finally....here is a quick breakdown of what I did & installed. Hopefully it'll help you. I'll also post the links I used for the files I needed.
1) Made sure I had qt3, qt3-devl, kernerl source, mysql, mysql-client installed.
2) Downloaded ivtv-0.2.0-rc3c (the newer versions didn't work for me) and copy from the utils folder videodev2.h to the driver folder: run make & make install on utils f& driver folder, may error out with and Error 2 at the end
3) Downloaded Video-frequencies, Video-ivtv & Config-init files from sourceforge.net (may want to google that to verify) (install these as well, "perl Makefile.PL" then make & make install
4) Downloaded pvr48wdm_2.8.22037.exe from the link below:
5) Go into the ivtv-0.2.0-rc3c/utils and run ./ivtvfwextract.pl /path/to/pvr48wdm_1.8.22037.exe
6) Move the ivtv-fw*.bin files (there are 2) from the /lib/module to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware instead
7) Reboot the system
8) Go back into the /ivtv-0.2.0-rc3c/utils folder & run ./ptune-ui.pl, in that window select a channel you know should come in.
9) Leave that terminal open & open a new one. Run cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg (requires mplayer to verify)
10) After a while press ctrl-c to close that window & the other as well. Navigate to the /tmp folder & see if the file works.
If it does, download Mythtv & install.
Link #1 (Myth install guide; which is more in depth than mine) http://www.homerengineeringcorp.net/mythtv/myth.html
Link #2 (A link to install mplayer + other things alot easier, including mythtv) http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/
If you get everything installed, only issue I had is with the mythbackend, I needed to modify the file for my users (its default is mythtv as the username)
Hope this helps.