I have a gentoo AMD64 shuttle with onboard audio. I have tried to compile the Alsa drivers into the kernel and I have tried installing the Alsa drivers seperately but I always get the following result:
localhost ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
* WARNING: you are stopping a boot service.
* Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
alsactl: save_state:1253: No soundcards found...
* Error saving levels. [ !! ]
* Killing processes using ALSA ... [ ok ]
* Unloading ALSA modules ... [ ok ]
* Loading ALSA modules ...
* Loading: snd-card-0 ...
FATAL: Module off not found. [ !! ]
* Loading: snd-pcm-oss ... [ ok ]
* ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers [ ok ]
* Restoring Mixer Levels ...
* No mixer config in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, you have to unmute you
It seems to me that I have a corrupted configuration file somewhere, with a name/value pair possibly being split over 2 lines.
I have tried installing other soundcards, but the error is the same.
Can anyone suggest which configuration file it may be?