LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
wanas
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Alexandria, Egypt
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 158

Rep: Reputation: 16
Question Do I have to reinstall my operating system after installing more memory (RAM)?


I have 2 operating systems: 1st windows xp 2nd UBUNTU
and I have 512 X 2 of RAM.
I want to Install more 2g of RAM so after I install it do I have to reinstall my OSes.

In the linux case my swap drive = 2g because I heard from some linux books that the swap drive must be twice the RAM size so when I install more RAM my overall RAM will be = 3g Do I have to make the swap drive = 6g? or 2g swap drive ok for 3g RAM?
 
Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
No need to reinstall. 2GB swap should be more than enough. 2xRAM size is a bit outdated except for servers and for people who use suspend-to-swap.
 
Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 3,903

Rep: Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanas View Post
I have 2 operating systems: 1st windows xp 2nd UBUNTU
and I have 512 X 2 of RAM.
I want to Install more 2g of RAM so after I install it do I have to reinstall my OSes.
You'll be within 3G; that will be fine for any *nix-style OS that I can think of; had you gone abvove 4, you may have needed a new kernel, but it isn't necessarily a complete re-install.

Quote:
In the linux case my swap drive = 2g because I heard from some linux books that the swap drive must be twice the RAM size so when I install more RAM my overall RAM will be = 3g Do I have to make the swap drive = 6g? or 2g swap drive ok for 3g RAM?
Unless you are buying RAM because you have suddenly started doing things that use a lot more memory than the things that you used to do (have you just started doing CAE?, CAD? running big databases?), there is no case whatsoever for saying that because you have more ram you will need more swap, in normal usage.

In fact, apart from the suspend case mentioned earlier, more ram will equal less need for swap. Unless you are very short of disk space, I wouldn't advise you to decrease the size of swap from where you are, though; there just isn't any advantage.

Quote:
1st windows xp
First!!!! Oh, well. Don't know much about this XP thing that you mention, but you may run into the degrading business of having to beg from the supplier of some kind of activation code to run the software that you thought that you had already paid for the right to run. You probably don't have to do this if you haven't been changing other hardware. (Or is this just Vista that is so anti-customer?)
 
Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
ronlau9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: In front of my LINUX OR MAC BOX
Distribution: Mandriva 2009 X86_64 suse 11.3 X86_64 Centos X86_64 Debian X86_64 Linux MInt 86_64 OS X
Posts: 2,369

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanas View Post
I have 2 operating systems: 1st windows xp 2nd UBUNTU
and I have 512 X 2 of RAM.
I want to Install more 2g of RAM so after I install it do I have to reinstall my OSes.

In the linux case my swap drive = 2g because I heard from some linux books that the swap drive must be twice the RAM size so when I install more RAM my overall RAM will be = 3g Do I have to make the swap drive = 6g? or 2g swap drive ok for 3g RAM?
About the windows Xp in the manual of my MOBO they stated that if you use windows xp 32 bit it is not advice able to use more than 2 GB of
RAM
 
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
You might have to install a new kernel if the kernel you are using was not compiled with the hugemem flag set.
 
Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
Just to make one more point that hasn't been made yet, if you do need more swap space, you can always make a swap FILE and use it instead of resizing your swap partition. You are not limited to only one swap space. If you find that your system is running out of swap often (which I would highly doubt unless you are running some very memory intensive apps) search Google for "linux swap file" and you can find instructions on how to set it up. With the 2.6 kernel, swap files are just as fast as swap partitions anyway.

HTH

Forrest
 
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
wanas
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Alexandria, Egypt
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 158

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
Unless you are buying RAM because you have suddenly started doing things that use a lot more memory than the things that you used to do (have you just started doing CAE?, CAD? running big databases?), there is no case whatsoever for saying that because you have more ram you will need more swap, in normal usage.
I actually will install more ram for the VMware because I may open more than one vm at a time, with 1G RAM I cant use more than 2 vm and give every one 128mg of RAM each and when I open more VMs or give the VM more RAM the system hangs and didnt respond. (I use vm on ubuntu 8.10)
So do I have to resize the space of the swap and make it bigger in the case of using the VMs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
First!!!! Oh, well. Don't know much about this XP
I didnt mean First in use, I only use XP for games only and all my work is on ubnutu.
 
Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Well, you most certainly do not want to use swap for a vm - ever. When the host OS needs to use swap, it gets slow; but it is nothing compared to a vm accessing swap. So, yes, you could create more swap space in case your vms need it but if they do, it will not be fun.
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
wanas
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Alexandria, Egypt
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 158

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
Well, you most certainly do not want to use swap for a vm - ever. When the host OS needs to use swap, it gets slow; but it is nothing compared to a vm accessing swap. So, yes, you could create more swap space in case your vms need it but if they do, it will not be fun.
Thanks ay73 for answering me but I didnt got the answer,
Do I have to make my swap drive more bigger or not?
sorry I think I am stupid

by the way almost all my VMs guests will be windows XP and vista and small linux systems like xubuntu, I think you will not need this to answer me but maybe it will help you got what I want.
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
wanas
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Location: Alexandria, Egypt
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10
Posts: 158

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
I have other question please:
How to know that I need more swap?
 
Old 12-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Quakeboy02
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: Debian Squeeze 2.6.32.9 SMP AMD64
Posts: 3,245

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanas View Post
I have other question please:
How to know that I need more swap?
Type "free -m" and look at the result. It will tell you whether you are using swap or not. You say you have 2GB of swap space already. I can't imagine a situation where more swap space would result in a better performing system. 2GB is already a lot. If the "free -m" command shows that you have a lot of swap in use, then the answer would be to add more RAM, not more swap.
 
Old 12-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
No, I don't think you need more swap. My virtual machines never use any (but then I assign at least 1GB of RAM to each so that is not so surprising).
Of course, it also depends on how your virtual machines are used. For example, if you install some heavy applications in them, that will cause your vms to eat a lot more RAM; and if things get out of hand, you may actually reach a point where swap becomes vital.

I would not worry for now; you can always add more swap if you discover that your physical RAM is not sufficient.

Quote:
How to know that I need more swap?
free -m, as pointed out. Keep an eye on it because if you run out of swap, your virtual machine is likely to crash.

Last edited by jay73; 12-13-2008 at 02:01 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
install, memory, ram, reinstall


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing Linux as a second operating system FLIPS Linux - Hardware 4 12-12-2007 07:50 AM
need help installing new memory and RAM bones01 Linux - Hardware 4 02-16-2007 01:49 PM
Linux, an Operating System with Memory Leaks? czamora Linux - General 3 09-12-2006 02:34 PM
Installing linus operating system rufus29 Linux - Distributions 2 05-08-2005 04:22 PM
installing Unix with no Operating System to start off nchauhan *BSD 11 06-26-2003 08:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration