I have a similar problem with the lack of volume control. (see below)
Recently I bought a brand new Delta 1010 system to be run on
Fedora Core 4. Prior to this I had a Delta 44 system and trialed it without issues on the same machine.
The specific system build I'm currently running is:
Here are the facts about my problem:
- The Delta1010 doesn't allow any manual gain/volume control using
the built-in linux tools (both from the command line and the GUI)
under ALSA or OSS. We are running ALSA lib & util version: 1.0.9rc2.
- The Delta 44 had ADC and DAC volume control abilities(as well as 'Multi Track Peak' - which
by default is read only), whereas the Delta
1010 only has the Multi Track Peak control - which of course isn't much
use since the user does not have write access to control it.
- In testing the outputs (both individually and multiple outs)
the system will adjust the volume control to 100%, play the file
then reset the volume to 0% once finished playing. So, whether this is
done 'in program' (by the software) or a feature of the hardware I'm not sure.
- Switching between +4 dB and -10 dB while playing (via the rear
buttons) does produce an audible difference in volume (+4dB setting is
- I am using a similar set up to the Delta 44 (the '.asoundrc' file
was modified to incorporate additional inputs and outputs. The Delta 44
and 1010 systems were automatically recognised and appropriate drivers
automatically used by linux)
- Programs primarily used to test the system were aplay and XMMS.
So my questions are:
1. Should the Delta 1010 allow the user to manually adjust the
volume/gain control or is the gain control permanently set in hardware?
(The manual seems to suggest the former)
2. If the latter what are they fixed to? (ie +4dB and -10dB only)
3. Could it be an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) algorithm in the
hardware which is dis-allowing the manual volume control?
4. Is the Delta 1010 a multi track device only (ie requires an external
volume control device or has no DAC/ADC manual control) or should
it also have DAC and ADC controllers like the Delta 44?
5. If the latter how can this be displayed/adjusted?
6. if it is a dmixer issue, any tips on how to fix it? ie could a "working" configuration be posted please?