LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
utkal75
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Can not Install Linux on AMD 64 + ASUS K8N(nForce 3 250 Chipset)


Hi

I've recently bought a assembled PC with the following configuration........

* AMD Athlon 64 2800+(754-pins)
* ASUS K8N Motherboard
* Seagate 80GB SATA HDD
* 512 MB RAM
* MSI GeForce 5200 FX Graphics Card

I did not face any problem installing Windows XP on my m/c. But I'm not able to install any flovour of Linux(Fedora Core3, Mandrake 10.1, etc, even with kernel 2.6.10) on my m/c. During the setup process it shows " Loading sata_nv driver". And the setup process does not recognise my HDD.

So I'm total gone mad for this. So can any one please help me out to install Linux on my PC ????

Thanx in Adv.

--
Mr Utkal Ranjan
New Delhi.
 
Old 03-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
ironwalker
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: 1st hop-NYC/NewJersey shore,north....2nd hop-upstate....3rd hop-texas...4th hop-southdakota(sturgis)...5th hop-san diego.....6th hop-atlantic ocean! Final hop-resting in dreamland dreamwalking and meeting new people from past lives...gd' night.
Distribution: Siduction, the only way to do Debian Unstable
Posts: 506

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Looks like you need to download and burn a newer distro or version of existing distro to get sata to work.
Or,grab a 64LiveCD and jot down the driver or copy from the cd the drivers for your disks.

Kanotix64 will recognise it.
 
Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
allenb
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Distribution: Mandrake
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
It could be that Mandrake 64 10.2 Beta will work for you. I am considering building a computer using the Asus A8N-SLI Delux (64bit) so I have been watching this distribution. I am currently running Mandrake 10.2 Official- 32 bit. There is a discussion in the AMD 64 section of their forum concerning this subject. Go to: "www.mandrakeclub.com", click on AMD 64 and take a look at the various post. The one that I think that you will find interesting is titled: "10.1&nForce4(PCI Express)". Good Luck!
 
Old 03-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
utkal75
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi

I have installed Fedora Core 2 without any problem in my PC with the above configuration... Cheers...
 
Old 05-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
nitrousoxide82
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), Arch Linux 2009.08
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 17
Re: Can not Install Linux on AMD 64 + ASUS K8N(nForce 3 250 Chipset)

Quote:
Originally posted by utkal75
Hi

I've recently bought a assembled PC with the following configuration........

* AMD Athlon 64 2800+(754-pins)
* ASUS K8N Motherboard
* Seagate 80GB SATA HDD
* 512 MB RAM
* MSI GeForce 5200 FX Graphics Card

I did not face any problem installing Windows XP on my m/c. But I'm not able to install any flovour of Linux(Fedora Core3, Mandrake 10.1, etc, even with kernel 2.6.10) on my m/c. During the setup process it shows " Loading sata_nv driver". And the setup process does not recognise my HDD.

So I'm total gone mad for this. So can any one please help me out to install Linux on my PC ????

Thanx in Adv.

--
Mr Utkal Ranjan
New Delhi.
I have a similar setup - Athlon 64 3000+, ABIT NF8 motherboard (NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb chipset), HDD is also Seagate 80GB SATA, also with 512 megs of RAM - and am facing the same problem with Fedora Core 3. It seems to be related to a bug in the mentioned sata_nv driver, searching the net I found out that commenting out one line in the source and recompiling it would do. Right now I'm stuck with an old 32-bit 2.4.18 kernel from an old Slackware CD, that was the only thing (apart from Windows) that recognized my hard drive. So, without the system installed I can't even think of compiling things. Is there anywhere out there where I can download the patched driver pre-compiled so I can proceed with the system installation? Or should I try another distro (please be 100% sure it works with the nForce3 chipset... thanks in advance)?
 
Old 05-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
nitrousoxide82
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), Arch Linux 2009.08
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 17
Re: Re: Can not Install Linux on AMD 64 + ASUS K8N(nForce 3 250 Chipset)

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrousoxide82
I have a similar setup - Athlon 64 3000+, ABIT NF8 motherboard (NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb chipset), HDD is also Seagate 80GB SATA, also with 512 megs of RAM - and am facing the same problem with Fedora Core 3. It seems to be related to a bug in the mentioned sata_nv driver, searching the net I found out that commenting out one line in the source and recompiling it would do. Right now I'm stuck with an old 32-bit 2.4.18 kernel from an old Slackware CD, that was the only thing (apart from Windows) that recognized my hard drive. So, without the system installed I can't even think of compiling things. Is there anywhere out there where I can download the patched driver pre-compiled so I can proceed with the system installation? Or should I try another distro (please be 100% sure it works with the nForce3 chipset... thanks in advance)?
Found it. Thanks to the people here, especially the guy who mentioned Kanotix. I'm on Kanotix64 live-cd now... guess what. Due to bad recording media I couldn't run it from the CD, but I was able to boot it RIGHT OFF MY SATA HDD!! It's usable without even burning the CD! Also, it recognizes my HDD and all partitions in it OUT OF THE BOX - it's housed on /dev/sda6. Also I'm coming from another Knoppix-based distro, it'll be real easier to adapt (much more than the Fedora I was trying before, I guess). I'll be adopting Kanotix64 as my distro now. Thanks!!

Edit:I may be posting something describing how I booted Kanotix without burning the CD (using lilo) at a later time.

Last edited by nitrousoxide82; 05-02-2005 at 09:53 PM.
 
Old 05-03-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
J.W.
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 6,642

Rep: Reputation: 69
Re: Re: Re: Can not Install Linux on AMD 64 + ASUS K8N(nForce 3 250 Chipset)

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrousoxide82
I may be posting something describing how I booted Kanotix without burning the CD (using lilo) at a later time.
Please do, and please consider submitting it as a Linux Answer Unlike forum threads, which are sorted by date, the tutorials are organized by topic, and retain a very high level of visibility -- J.W.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nForce drivers in Suse 9.2. Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 IXion20 Suse/Novell 1 02-28-2005 10:47 PM
asus k8n-e-deluxe necrophage Linux - Software 1 01-30-2005 02:40 AM
nForce 2 chipset and Linux support KingPhillius Linux - Hardware 2 07-30-2004 06:18 AM
Sound Driver - Asus (AMD) - A7V266-MX (Via Chipset) on FC1 spurgeonb Linux - Hardware 3 03-13-2004 08:54 AM
Asus A7n8x Deluxe (Nforce 2 chipset), rh9, radeon 9500 pro v38zy Linux - Hardware 8 10-24-2003 08:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration