LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/)
-   -   broadcom bcm4313 monitor mode (aspire one d260) (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/broadcom-bcm4313-monitor-mode-aspire-one-d260-837017/)

gh0stie 10-08-2010 02:20 PM

broadcom bcm4313 monitor mode (aspire one d260)
 
Did anyone already figured out how to put the bcm4313 in monitor mode ?

First I tried the new brcm43xx open source driver. This driver is working and puts the 4313 in monitor mode, but monitor programs like kismet do not recieve any packets. No errors from kismet so I think this is driver related (still under development). The new driver does work with normal connections.

Second thing I tried was installing the b43 kernel driver. Using b43-fwcutter I installed the firmware, but when I modprobe b43 the driver gets loaded but I do not get an interface. Also dmesg and messages give no error related messages.

So I am looking for anyone who succesfully put the bcm4313 in monitor mode to use programs like kismet.

Code:

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
Code:

uname -r
2.6.32-5-amd64

Running debian squeeze

Drakeo 10-10-2010 07:08 PM

yes I did this back in 2004 read up on it we do not discus this type of subject in this forum. There has been many patches for this. But we do not discuss kismet in this format. if you Google are about ethical hacking then you will get close.

Quote:

Second thing I tried was installing the b43 kernel driver.
It comes stock in the kernel no need to install.

gh0stie 10-11-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

yes I did this back in 2004 read up on it we do not discus this type of subject in this forum. There has been many patches for this. But we do not discuss kismet in this format. if you Google are about ethical hacking then you will get close.
I am not discussing kismet here :rolleyes: I am posting a question why the b43 driver does not detect my broadcom adapter when documentation tells me it should. Since this is the hardware forum I thought this would be the place to post such questions. And since I want to use monitor mode for legitimate purposes from a security point perspective, I don't understand what ethical hacking has to do with that.

Hoping to see some usefull help.

onebuck 10-11-2010 08:24 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh0stie (Post 4123786)
I am not discussing kismet here :rolleyes: I am posting a question why the b43 driver does not detect my broadcom adapter when documentation tells me it should. Since this is the hardware forum I thought this would be the place to post such questions. And since I want to use monitor mode for legitimate purposes from a security point perspective, I don't understand what ethical hacking has to do with that.

Hoping to see some usefull help.

That's not how you presented the original question. You stated 'kismet' and monitor mode.

Now you want to get the adapter functional. Which is it? We will not assist when it comes to kismet or other penetration methodology or potential monitor activities that can get information illegally or does involve potential illegal activities.

If you understood the reasoning or use for kismet then getting the adapter to work should be a cake walk.

Quote:

Kismet is a network detector, packet sniffer, and intrusion detection system for 802.11 wireless LANs. Kismet will work with any wireless card which supports raw monitoring mode, and can sniff 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n traffic. The program runs under Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Mac OS X. The client can also run on Microsoft Windows, although, aside from external drones, there's only one supported wireless hardware available as packet source.
You could do a LQ Search as the subject of getting a Broadcom chipset adapter working has been covered so many times.
:hattip:

gh0stie 10-11-2010 12:16 PM

Thanks for your more constructive response Gary. My question stated that I could not get my card into monitor mode so I could use programs "like" kismet or fyi any other use of the rfmon functionality from a wireless card. Article 10 of the european convention on human rights says that it is allowed to recieve ether signals. So nothing illegal about that.

Quote:

Now you want to get the adapter functional. Which is it?
I hoped my topic title and lspci contents were clear enough on the adapter specification ;)

Quote:

You could do a LQ Search as the subject of getting a Broadcom chipset adapter working has been covered so many times.
No need to tell me this when I already wrote that the adapter is working in normal mode (with a closed source proprietary driver or a new open source driver that is still under development and unstable).

I did not see any restrictions in the rules section about posting on anything security related.

Anyway since people already make conclusions before asking I will try my luck elsewhere.

onebuck 10-11-2010 02:21 PM

Hi,

It did come across as such. As for your rights, we to have the right to state what was stated as your post(s) really didn't provide enough information. I'll be glad to assist as long as things are not to be done that will harm others.

Sniffing and getting others information that is private to begin with is not something I nor other LQ members get involved with because of the LQ Rules.

Again, do that search as Broadcom has been covered many times here on LQ. Sure, you presented material related to the Broadcom. But you did not define or explain things so we would have a clear picture. My money is on : You don't have the firmware in place since your kernel supports the chipset.

I suggest that you look at 'How to Ask Questions the Smart Way' so in the future your queries provide information in a manner that will aid us in diagnosis of the problem or query.

:hattip:

gh0stie 10-11-2010 04:47 PM

If that is needed I really want to provide additional information, but I can only respond on helpfull answers and not on people replying without helping. You suggest me to look at 'How to Ask Questions the Smart Way' I suggest you 'How to Read Questions the Smart Way' since you did not read that the chip I was talking about was the BCM 4313 which could be seen in the thread title and from the lspci output. If I didn't do a search I wouldn't post this question. There is only one topic on this chip that ends with the proprietary broadcom driver and my question was about the b43 or new brcm43xx driver.

I also wrote (maybe you missed it) that I used the firmware package installer and offcourse verified that it installed the firmware files in the right place. The chip is simply not detected and even if it was then various dmesg or other logs would show any error or other information about it and they simply don't. Do a google search on b43 and bcm 4313 and you will see a lot more people having trouble on the b43/bcm4313 combination. So my question was plain and simple if anyone succeeded to get this chip in rfom mode wich can only be done with b43 or brcm43xx.

So I really appreciate the help, but try to be constructive without judging someones intentions. Kismet or any other rfmon program can also be used for legit purposes to find out channel occupation, signal strength and interference from other stations. Wich I need for network testing purposes.

Drakeo 10-12-2010 12:10 AM

in order for me to answer your message I would be breaking policy. and yes that chip will go to rfom mode just like I taught my students and like any other simple Google will get you there. If time is a problem buy a different card. I already pointed you in the direction to look but you just could not read go back and read my first reply.
patch the kernel module and google.

gh0stie 10-12-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakeo (Post 4124564)
in order for me to answer your message I would be breaking policy. and yes that chip will go to rfom mode just like I taught my students and like any other simple Google will get you there. If time is a problem buy a different card. I already pointed you in the direction to look but you just could not read go back and read my first reply.
patch the kernel module and google.

Your reply was that you did it back in 2004 on a chip that is produced around 2009/2010 so I don't see a reason to do a google search on that. Believe me I googled a lot on my problem...

Chip is internal in a netbook...

Drakeo 10-13-2010 04:33 PM

I am sorry the bcm4312 andthe 4313 has been around and the codes and patches are around have a good day


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.