Now I do realize this is a Linux forum, but this is the hardware section and I just can't get into my linux anymore! So I hope you have any thoughts about how to get my computer running again!
I wanted to use an older computer again, so I tried to fire it up, but alas. I don't recall when the last time was that it was running, but I don't think it didn't run back then. I just had a new computer
- MOBO: ALiveNF6G-DVI
- BIOS: BIOS P1.30
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
- RAM: 2x512MB
1. NEC DVD-RW. Is listed and doesn't show problems.
2. SATA-II HDD. Is listed and doesn't show problems.
- Video: at the moment only the on-boad video.
What happens is this:
1. The computer starts up. No POST-beeps.
2. CPU is ok.
3. RAM is ok.
4. Disks are auto-detected and listed.
5. Then the computer halts. No message, no warning. I am not even able to hit control+alt+delete (I say this, cuz I noticed this. I am able to run and alter the BIOS in an earlier state of booting up, with the keyboard, obviously). It just completely hangs/locks.
[WHAT I HAVE TRIED SO FAR]
1. Removing all hardware but monitor, RAM, keyboard. - Result: comp stops doing stuff after checking RAM, without any message whatsoever.
2. Cleared the CMOS (with the jumper, also by removing the battery). - Result: no changes.
3. There are two pieces of RAM. I removed them all. Result: POST-beeps. I put one back: loaded till after disks. See above. Exchanged the RAM-piece with the other RAM-piece (so: still one piece of RAM): same thing.
[WHERE TO GO NOW]
That is my question. I ran out of idea's of how to solve this. I would like to flash the ROM, but I can't get the computer booting, so I don't know how to do this.