Originally Posted by smithy2010
Not sure about your Acer best check with Acer before you buy. (anyway why Acer? Dell and IBM have very good range of laptops that fully support Linux)
Thanks for link.
Why Acer? Its not Acer. Its ASUS which makes difference for me (I would rather not buy Acer).
Maybe I will consider this as an option:
EliteBook 8540w Mobile (WD929EA)
but I see following disadvantages
- price (+ 30%...though considering MS software is maybe 20% more expensive)
- weaker processor (only i7-620M see here: http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm
- smaller disk (only 0,5TB)
- full support for SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 :-)
- port eSATA ( I have two external disk having this port)..this might be important because in most cases my virtual machines have problems due to IO's. If I can run them from external disk, then I solve this problem.
- light compared to ASUS (less than 3kg)
- NVidia card which fully supports Linux (I never had a problem with this card on LINUX)
The laptop I found meets my needs and is available to buy in Poland.
My requirements are:
- strong 4 core CPU ...or very good 2 core
- as much RAM as possible
- at least 500GB disk (but prefer 750+)
- known brand
- reasonable price
- possible to install Linux
- without OS or with Linux (I do not buy MS software with hardware. If I need any software that my company have a deal (employee program) with MS that I can buy for very cheap price).
I do not need laptop for games, because the only games I sometimes play is Chess, GNUGo, Duke3D or Shadow Warrior.
I need mobile solution as consultant (this is why I consider laptop). I want to run some Virtual machines on it.