LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #46
dfbreyes
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Makati, Philippines
Distribution: RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Asus M3N-HT BIOS update


hello,

I was able to update my BIOS using EZ Flash 2 to 0901 from 0702 for the Asus M3N-HT. For a while I was able to boot back to windows. The coldboot problem seems to have been fixed for now.

Then when I tried editing the BIOS for SATA support, the windows partition didn't boot. Anyway, I tried inserting the Gentoo Linux AMD64 boot DVD but the hardware detection phase stops at the part of the SATA AHCI.

I can reinstall Windows XP no problem. But I've been successful with SuSE, redhat, Gentoo(custom kernel) on my Athlon XP before. How do I install Gentoo 64 bit version on my Asus M3N-HT with SATA hard drives?


thanks
David


-----
pc specs
AMD Phenom 9850 with Scythe Mine RevB heatsink
Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
Enermax 625W Pro82+ PSU
Mushkin DDR2 996580 4GB
2x500GB Seagate
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #47
thiemel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniff View Post
David,

The bios can load new versions and update off a USB stick. Take a look in the manual, or post back if you are still not sure.

Phil
That's right. In BIOS, there is Asus EZflash utility which can update/downgrade BIOS directly "from BIOS" :-)
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #48
thiemel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbreyes View Post
hello,
Then when I tried editing the BIOS for SATA support, the windows partition didn't boot. Anyway, I tried inserting the Gentoo Linux AMD64 boot DVD but the hardware detection phase stops at the part of the SATA AHCI.

I can reinstall Windows XP no problem. But I've been successful with SuSE, redhat, Gentoo(custom kernel) on my Athlon XP before. How do I install Gentoo 64 bit version on my Asus M3N-HT with SATA hard drives?
Hi David,
I'm using 64bit Gentoo and experimented a bit with kernel and SATA settings in BIOS and found that there is some problem with SATA in AHCI mode. Instalation of Win XP hangs with BSOD after loading basic drivers from CD, and booting Gentoo's kernel (no initrd) fails, too.

So I'm using SATA in IDE mode.
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #49
thiemel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiemel View Post
Hi,
I'm still in contact with Technical Support Department ASUS Czech republic. Few minutes ago, I replied them that I'm concerned because I wanted to report a "BIOS bug" but it seems that nobody listens to me. I'll see how it will continue...

I'll report you any progress...
hm... no reply after one month... it seems that they're just ignoring me
:'( (sob)
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #50
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
XP simply does not support AHCI so you'll need to download an AHCI driver and install it from a floppy while you are installing XP. Technically, you could install in IDE mode, install the driver only then and start using AHCI from there - but this goes totally more often than it works.

As for Gentoo, don't know... Get the latest kernel and make sure that you get the proper drivers compiled in.
 
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #51
lczarnecki
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi all.

I just upgraded my BIOS to 1204 version (downloaded from ASUS global support site, China mirror).

Everything now works fine, sound is loud and clear under my Arch Linux with 2.6.26 kernel and in Express Gate too, all distorts are gone Funny is they solved the problem but there's nothing about it in release notes...

Try it, maybe it will solve your problems too.

Last edited by lczarnecki; 08-28-2008 at 12:03 PM.
 
Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #52
mdjenkins
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lczarnecki View Post
Hi all.

I just upgraded my BIOS to 1204 version (downloaded from ASUS global support site, China mirror).

Everything now works fine, sound is loud and clear under my Arch Linux with 2.6.26 kernel and in Express Gate too, all distorts are gone Funny is they solved the problem but there's nothing about it in release notes...

Try it, maybe it will solve your problems too.
Looks like 1204 is working for me too. Thanks for the heads up
 
Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #53
jus71n742
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04 64bit/ 32bit, FreeBSD 8
Posts: 185

Rep: Reputation: 30
Which version on Linux are you running because I have hade a hell of a time getting this same board to even allow me to install Ubuntu 7 I Have the new one in route so maybe it will have better luck
I also am trying to run it with a phenom processor and I have not yet had any difficulties with it at all
 
Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #54
mdjenkins
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
I'm using Gentoo.
What issues are you having with Ubuntu?
 
Old 11-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #55
Slopey
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy M3n-ht deluxe not booting with redhat linux]

Hi I have a M3N-HT deluxe Mobo running AMD 9950 quad with bios update 1502. Have had no problems running Linux before on my older mobo's but this one just locks up in text or graphics mode setup, probing disabled and been enabled AHCI driver takes about 10 mins to load ( even though i'm not using AHCI) then tries to run the X server under redhat enterpise 5 and just hangs.

Any suggestions as i think its the mobo as have had the same problems with sys commander to run multi OS's just hangs the bios and game over.


Also system boot fail over and over, unplug mains supply to reset then boots, also does not like usb devices such as ipods or WD my books on post or it hangs the bios.

Any help would be much appreciated

Ant
 
Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #56
thiemel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopey View Post
Hi I have a M3N-HT deluxe Mobo running AMD 9950 quad with bios update 1502. Have had no problems running Linux before on my older mobo's but this one just locks up in text or graphics mode setup, probing disabled and been enabled AHCI driver takes about 10 mins to load ( even though i'm not using AHCI) then tries to run the X server under redhat enterpise 5 and just hangs.

Any suggestions as i think its the mobo as have had the same problems with sys commander to run multi OS's just hangs the bios and game over.


Also system boot fail over and over, unplug mains supply to reset then boots, also does not like usb devices such as ipods or WD my books on post or it hangs the bios.

Any help would be much appreciated

Ant
Hi Slopey,
it can be Linux kernel problem ("older" version).
Try to add kernel's boot parameter "pci=nomsi" - it may help.
 
Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #57
rawdmon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopey View Post
Hi I have a M3N-HT deluxe Mobo running AMD 9950 quad with bios update 1502. Have had no problems running Linux before on my older mobo's but this one just locks up in text or graphics mode setup, probing disabled and been enabled AHCI driver takes about 10 mins to load ( even though i'm not using AHCI) then tries to run the X server under redhat enterpise 5 and just hangs.

Any suggestions as i think its the mobo as have had the same problems with sys commander to run multi OS's just hangs the bios and game over.


Also system boot fail over and over, unplug mains supply to reset then boots, also does not like usb devices such as ipods or WD my books on post or it hangs the bios.

Any help would be much appreciated

Ant
You may also be interested in this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/272247

There is a bug in the latest Linux kernel that causes the exact behaviour that your are describing. If you're using K/X/Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10) or any other bleeding edge Linux distribution which uses the 2.6.27-7 Linux kernel, then you are going to run in to this issue. I'm experiencing the same issue and I have the M3N-HT with the latest BIOS update as well. I did some debugging and it led me back to that bug post, so check it out.
 
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #58
mdjenkins
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
The cold boot issue on this board was a problem of the earlier BIOS. As you have a new board, you may need to update. Be advised there's an issue with the on board sound for all BIOS between 0702 and 1204; you shouldn't need to worry about the sound issue if you use the latest BIOS (1502).
 
Old 11-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #59
rawdmon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
The cold boot issue on this board was a problem of the earlier BIOS. As you have a new board, you may need to update. Be advised there's an issue with the on board sound for all BIOS between 0702 and 1204; you shouldn't need to worry about the sound issue if you use the latest BIOS (1502).
He stated that he's running the latest BIOS update already.

Last edited by rawdmon; 11-26-2008 at 10:43 AM.
 
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #60
rawdmon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopey View Post
Also system boot fail over and over, unplug mains supply to reset then boots, also does not like usb devices such as ipods or WD my books on post or it hangs the bios.
I'm now experiencing this exact same cold boot issue with the latest BIOS update where as the system was booting perfectly fine with an older version (I think it was like 702 or something, it's no longer available on the ASUS site). I think I might just downgrade, this new BIOS version blows.
 
  


Reply

Tags
install, sata


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus P5E3 Deluxe Motherboard has embedded Linux DragonSlayer48DX Linux - News 0 10-07-2007 01:02 PM
Solaris & Asus AV8 Deluxe Motherboard SML Solaris / OpenSolaris 19 11-15-2005 06:48 PM
Problems installing FreeBSD 5.4 with Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard Tsuroerusu *BSD 13 10-17-2005 12:59 AM
FC2 on ASUS M3N Laptop, possible Speedstep issue? ckozlowski Fedora 1 07-10-2004 05:40 PM
New Motherboard ASUS A7N8X Deluxe jleakey77 Linux - Newbie 5 10-17-2003 08:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration