I got a new headset with a microphone for Christmas. I want to record audio and use VOIP applications, etc. However, I have a very pronounced, high pitched screeching or squealing in the recording no matter what ALSA settings I attempt. I'd like some ideas on how to proceed with figuring out the problem.
Here are some facts and things I have found or tried:
- The computer has a built-in microphone and an external microphone jack.
- alsamixer and KMix show only one "capture" control and one "mic" input.
- Screaching noise is present when using either the built-in microphone or the external.
- KRecord's level meter set to the "log" scale is constantly bouncing from 39 to 43 or so dBs.
- KRecord's frequency meter shows the background screech all the time, especially when on "log" display.
- By closing X and getting to a text only terminal, I can use the "rec" and "play" command line programs to record and play back a .WAV file. In this environment the recording is mostly clean (just a few very low volume pops or clicks) with either the built in mic or the external mic.
- Based on a suggestion from someone in my LUG, I tried the same above commands from a terminal window in KDE. This also resulted in good a recording.
- Based on the clean results from the command line, I thought KDE aRTs was fighting with ALSA or something of that nature is going on when in the GUI environment. After setting the KDE sound system to ALSA and killing artsd, I still get screeching in the recording.
I am running:
- Computer: Toshiba M105-S3041 (Download detailed specs from this page: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ListType=Model
- Linux 22.214.171.124-34-default i686
- openSUSE 10.2 (i586)
- KDE: 3.5.5 "release 45"
lspci -v output shows:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff00
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 217
Memory at d0340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:  Power Management version 2
Capabilities:  Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities:  Express Unknown type IRQ 0
Capabilities:  Virtual Channel
Capabilities:  Unknown (5)
alsamixer shows "Card: HDA Intel"
I've fiddled with all the settings that I know. Does anyone have hints on where to go from here?