LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 254

Rep: Reputation: 28
which 64bit distro supports 4gb ram and the ati fglrx video driver togther


I was using Ubuntu hardy 64bit it ran great with no serrious problems that was until Iadd more ram when I did that I couldn't run the ati fglrx video driver and have 4 gb of ram at the same time so I switched to opensuse 11 64bit it seems like an ok distro it seems good but is a little bit to buggy for me I am wondering which other 64 bit distro is out the that supports having both 4gb ram and the fglrx video driver
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
Suggestion: Break up the run-on sentences so your questions will be easier to understand.

Short answer:
1. I don't know why there would be a connection between the amount of memory and whether a particular driver is provided or supported.

2. All 64-bit distros will support 4GB of RAM--For that matter, any 32-bit distro will also support 4GB.

3. I think the fglrx driver is obsolete. I was on this trail recently, but flamed out when I solved my immediate issue.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 254

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
Suggestion: Break up the run-on sentences so your questions will be easier to understand.

Short answer:
1. I don't know why there would be a connection between the amount of memory and whether a particular driver is provided or supported.

2. All 64-bit distros will support 4GB of RAM--For that matter, any 32-bit distro will also support 4GB.

3. I think the fglrx driver is obsolete. I was on this trail recently, but flamed out when I solved my immediate issue.
When I added the ram to my computer it wouldn't boot to the Ubuntu desktop at first I thought that the ram was messed up so Ito it back and exchanged it for new ram after about an hour of messing around trying to boot to my desktop I went onto the Ubuntu forums and was informed that I wasn't able to have both the fglrx video drivers and the ram apparently this will be fixed on the next distro that Ubuntu comes out with.
As for the fglrx video drivers these drivers are the only drivers that I have tried that actually get the 3d working for my ATI 3780 video card Ican play fps games without any problems but if I were to try other video drivers I cannot play any games that depend on my video card. also I haven't heard that the fglrx drivers are obsolete at least not on any of the gaming forums that I belong to they all only use those drivers for the ATI video card which video driver do you use that is if you have an newer ATI card and on line Game? because if this is the case and there is a driver that would work so that I could use both I would switch back to Ubuntu hardy in an instant lol.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
rickh
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Distribution: Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64 Desktop: Generic AMD64-EVGA 680i Laptop: Generic Intel SIS-AC97
Posts: 4,250

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
which 64bit distro supports 4gb ram and the ati fglrx video driver togther
All of them.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 254

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
All of them.
well the only one that works so far out of three that I have tryed is opensuse 11 I just installed Kubuntu 64bit and when I booted I had like a 1/4 desktop on the upper left side and another desktop was behind it which I cannot get to I updated everything and installed the fglrx drivers and couldn't boot just like that happened with Ubuntu hardy so far I am stuck with opensuse11 , I would showy ou the screen shot of my messed up desktop but I am not sure how to add it to this post
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
Quote:
As for the fglrx video drivers these drivers are the only drivers that I have tried that actually get the 3d working for my ATI 3780 video card Ican play fps games without any problems but if I were to try other video drivers I cannot play any games that depend on my video card. also I haven't heard that the fglrx drivers are obsolete at least not on any of the gaming forums that I belong to they all only use those drivers for the ATI video card which video driver do you use that is if you have an newer ATI card and on line Game? because if this is the case and there is a driver that would work so that I could use both I would switch back to Ubuntu hardy in an instant lol.
I can't follow this. This is why I suggested that you break up the run-on sentences.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 3,910

Rep: Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776Reputation: 776
well if by opensuse you mean opensuse with kde4 that will be buggy as kde 4 isnt really finished yet so if that was what you meant you should try kde 3.x or gnome i personally dont like gnome but it might be to your taste so id be trying the kde 3.x version to check memory you should use memtest make sure that you allow it to run for a fair while some of the tests are quite extensive and you can only be completely sure that you've discovered obscure errors if you do run it for an extended period You should do this before returning ram OTOH it sounds as if your problems were not obscure hth
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 254

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
I can't follow this. This is why I suggested that you break up the run-on sentences.
must be the gallon of coffee I drank plus the lack of sleep .
ok I will try this again
As for the fglrx video drivers,
these drivers are the only drivers that I have tried that actually get the 3d working for my ATI 3780 video card.

when I have tried other video drivers I cannot play any games that depend on my video card.
I haven't heard that the fglrx drivers are obsolete.
every gamer that I know that uses Linux all only use the fglrx drivers for the ATI video card.

if you have an ATI video card which video driver do you use?

if I could use a different video driver that works just as good or better then the fglrx driver and would not cause problems in Ubuntu I would switch back to Ubuntu hardy in an instant lol.

Last edited by Shadowmeph; 09-19-2008 at 01:52 PM.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 254

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
well if by opensuse you mean opensuse with kde4 that will be buggy as kde 4 isnt really finished yet so if that was what you meant you should try kde 3.x or gnome i personally dont like gnome but it might be to your taste so id be trying the kde 3.x version to check memory you should use memtest make sure that you allow it to run for a fair while some of the tests are quite extensive and you can only be completely sure that you've discovered obscure errors if you do run it for an extended period You should do this before returning ram OTOH it sounds as if your problems were not obscure hth
how do I change to kd 3.x?
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
I really don't follow video cards. I was installing a new distro and (temporarily) could not find the "radeon" driver, which has always done everything that I need. In the process, I could not find fglrx---but I did find "radeonhd" which is apparently an experimental advanced driver.

My limited reading hints that Nvidia may be a better choice. If nothing else, it is apparent that they have a much stronger commitment to Linux support than does ATI. My system installs with Nvidia graphics have always been painless.

Finally, you should be able to get any video driver working with any mainstream distro. There might be some issues with loading the right kernel modules.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
johnson_steve
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: BrewCity, USA (Milwaukee, WI)
Distribution: Xubuntu 9.10, Gentoo 2.6.27 (AMD64), Darwin 9.0.0 (arm)
Posts: 1,152

Rep: Reputation: 46
I have 64-bit gentoo with the fglrx driver. only 1Gb of ram but I was about to upgrade to 4Gb. I believe there is an option in the kernel to support 4Gb or more. maybe that's the issue? why is fglrx obsolete? I have a Radeon X1200 should I be using another driver?
 
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,040

Rep: Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson_steve View Post
I have 64-bit gentoo with the fglrx driver. only 1Gb of ram but I was about to upgrade to 4Gb. I believe there is an option in the kernel to support 4Gb or more. maybe that's the issue? why is fglrx obsolete? I have a Radeon X1200 should I be using another driver?
  1. 32 bits kernels can address up to 64 GB of ram with PAE enabled, at a slight performance penalty.
  2. You can use all the ram you can imagine in x86_64, no special tweaks needed.
  3. fglrx is not obsolete, in fact, it's the only driver that ATi support, because it's the only one they provide. There are some alternatives, if you don't mind losing some performance and features, that is.

So, you shouldn't have a problem with 64 bits + 4gb + fglrx, UNLESS fglrx itself has some bug about that, which I don't know, but wouldn't surprise me.

All in all, ATi is a mess if you ask me. The driver might work or might not work depending on many factors, like the card and the driver version, whether you use xinerama or not, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: It seems you are not alone: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-19-2008 at 04:51 PM.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Shadowmeph
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 254

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
  1. 32 bits kernels can address up to 64 GB of ram with PAE enabled, at a slight performance penalty.
  2. You can use all the ram you can imagine in x86_64, no special tweaks needed.
  3. fglrx is not obsolete, in fact, it's the only driver that ATi support, because it's the only one they provide. There are some alternatives, if you don't mind losing some performance and features, that is.

So, you shouldn't have a problem with 64 bits + 4gb + fglrx, UNLESS fglrx itself has some bug about that, which I don't know, but wouldn't surprise me.

All in all, ATi is a mess if you ask me. The driver might work or might not work depending on many factors, like the card and the driver version, whether you use xinerama or not, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: It seems you are not alone: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469
the strsnge thing about this is that I have opensuse running with the ram and the fglrx but it doesn't work with kubuntu or Ubuntu hardy
 
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
jschiwal
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2001
Location: Fargo, ND
Distribution: SuSE AMD64
Posts: 15,733

Rep: Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654
If you go to YaST2 -> Installation Sources, be sure to check the "Community Repositories" button. Then add the ATI repo. You may be able to install the video driver you need for your kernel using the package manager.
 
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
rickh
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Distribution: Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64 Desktop: Generic AMD64-EVGA 680i Laptop: Generic Intel SIS-AC97
Posts: 4,250

Rep: Reputation: 60
There is nothing wrong with the fglrx driver, and it works fine on Debian, which I assume, means it works fine on Ubuntu as well. Drivers are one of those things you have to fight with until you make them work, then they're never a problem again. I remember how difficult it was, but I never did figure out why. After a while, they worked and they've worked ever since.

The biggest problem, i think, is people trying to install both the vendor's version, then their distro's version. they're never compatible, and after failing with one, you'll never get the other to work until you remove all traces of the first.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux distro for Pentium166MHz, 64MB RAM and 4GB HDD rasputin_ylong Linux - Hardware 10 11-17-2008 03:44 PM
ATI fglrx Driver RavenFrost Slackware 1 04-11-2006 07:46 AM
fglrx-driver vs ATI kernel driver for ATI Radeon 9200 in Debian Debian_Poland Debian 3 02-01-2006 01:10 PM
PIII 550Mhz 64Mb ram 4GB HDD, best distro? cyberoidx Linux - Distributions 4 01-06-2006 08:26 PM
Pentium 133, 64Meg ram, 3.4GB hd. Which Distro? BBlalock Linux - Distributions 17 02-13-2004 12:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration