LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/)
-   -   which 64bit distro supports 4gb ram and the ati fglrx video driver togther (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/which-64bit-distro-supports-4gb-ram-and-the-ati-fglrx-video-driver-togther-671075/)

Shadowmeph 09-19-2008 10:35 AM

which 64bit distro supports 4gb ram and the ati fglrx video driver togther
 
I was using Ubuntu hardy 64bit it ran great with no serrious problems that was until Iadd more ram when I did that I couldn't run the ati fglrx video driver and have 4 gb of ram at the same time so I switched to opensuse 11 64bit it seems like an ok distro it seems good but is a little bit to buggy for me I am wondering which other 64 bit distro is out the that supports having both 4gb ram and the fglrx video driver

pixellany 09-19-2008 10:55 AM

Suggestion: Break up the run-on sentences so your questions will be easier to understand.

Short answer:
1. I don't know why there would be a connection between the amount of memory and whether a particular driver is provided or supported.

2. All 64-bit distros will support 4GB of RAM--For that matter, any 32-bit distro will also support 4GB.

3. I think the fglrx driver is obsolete. I was on this trail recently, but flamed out when I solved my immediate issue.

Shadowmeph 09-19-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3285745)
Suggestion: Break up the run-on sentences so your questions will be easier to understand.

Short answer:
1. I don't know why there would be a connection between the amount of memory and whether a particular driver is provided or supported.

2. All 64-bit distros will support 4GB of RAM--For that matter, any 32-bit distro will also support 4GB.

3. I think the fglrx driver is obsolete. I was on this trail recently, but flamed out when I solved my immediate issue.

When I added the ram to my computer it wouldn't boot to the Ubuntu desktop at first I thought that the ram was messed up so Ito it back and exchanged it for new ram after about an hour of messing around trying to boot to my desktop I went onto the Ubuntu forums and was informed that I wasn't able to have both the fglrx video drivers and the ram apparently this will be fixed on the next distro that Ubuntu comes out with.
As for the fglrx video drivers these drivers are the only drivers that I have tried that actually get the 3d working for my ATI 3780 video card Ican play fps games without any problems but if I were to try other video drivers I cannot play any games that depend on my video card. also I haven't heard that the fglrx drivers are obsolete at least not on any of the gaming forums that I belong to they all only use those drivers for the ATI video card which video driver do you use that is if you have an newer ATI card and on line Game? because if this is the case and there is a driver that would work so that I could use both I would switch back to Ubuntu hardy in an instant lol.

rickh 09-19-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

which 64bit distro supports 4gb ram and the ati fglrx video driver togther
All of them.

Shadowmeph 09-19-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickh (Post 3285813)
All of them.

well the only one that works so far out of three that I have tryed is opensuse 11 I just installed Kubuntu 64bit and when I booted I had like a 1/4 desktop on the upper left side and another desktop was behind it which I cannot get to I updated everything and installed the fglrx drivers and couldn't boot just like that happened with Ubuntu hardy so far I am stuck with opensuse11 , I would showy ou the screen shot of my messed up desktop but I am not sure how to add it to this post

pixellany 09-19-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

As for the fglrx video drivers these drivers are the only drivers that I have tried that actually get the 3d working for my ATI 3780 video card Ican play fps games without any problems but if I were to try other video drivers I cannot play any games that depend on my video card. also I haven't heard that the fglrx drivers are obsolete at least not on any of the gaming forums that I belong to they all only use those drivers for the ATI video card which video driver do you use that is if you have an newer ATI card and on line Game? because if this is the case and there is a driver that would work so that I could use both I would switch back to Ubuntu hardy in an instant lol.
I can't follow this. This is why I suggested that you break up the run-on sentences.

salasi 09-19-2008 01:40 PM

well if by opensuse you mean opensuse with kde4 that will be buggy as kde 4 isnt really finished yet so if that was what you meant you should try kde 3.x or gnome i personally dont like gnome but it might be to your taste so id be trying the kde 3.x version to check memory you should use memtest make sure that you allow it to run for a fair while some of the tests are quite extensive and you can only be completely sure that you've discovered obscure errors if you do run it for an extended period You should do this before returning ram OTOH it sounds as if your problems were not obscure hth

Shadowmeph 09-19-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3285868)
I can't follow this. This is why I suggested that you break up the run-on sentences.

must be the gallon of coffee I drank plus the lack of sleep .
ok I will try this again
As for the fglrx video drivers,
these drivers are the only drivers that I have tried that actually get the 3d working for my ATI 3780 video card.

when I have tried other video drivers I cannot play any games that depend on my video card.
I haven't heard that the fglrx drivers are obsolete.
every gamer that I know that uses Linux all only use the fglrx drivers for the ATI video card.

if you have an ATI video card which video driver do you use?

if I could use a different video driver that works just as good or better then the fglrx driver and would not cause problems in Ubuntu I would switch back to Ubuntu hardy in an instant lol.

Shadowmeph 09-19-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salasi (Post 3285873)
well if by opensuse you mean opensuse with kde4 that will be buggy as kde 4 isnt really finished yet so if that was what you meant you should try kde 3.x or gnome i personally dont like gnome but it might be to your taste so id be trying the kde 3.x version to check memory you should use memtest make sure that you allow it to run for a fair while some of the tests are quite extensive and you can only be completely sure that you've discovered obscure errors if you do run it for an extended period You should do this before returning ram OTOH it sounds as if your problems were not obscure hth

how do I change to kd 3.x?

pixellany 09-19-2008 02:14 PM

I really don't follow video cards. I was installing a new distro and (temporarily) could not find the "radeon" driver, which has always done everything that I need. In the process, I could not find fglrx---but I did find "radeonhd" which is apparently an experimental advanced driver.

My limited reading hints that Nvidia may be a better choice. If nothing else, it is apparent that they have a much stronger commitment to Linux support than does ATI. My system installs with Nvidia graphics have always been painless.

Finally, you should be able to get any video driver working with any mainstream distro. There might be some issues with loading the right kernel modules.

johnson_steve 09-19-2008 02:20 PM

I have 64-bit gentoo with the fglrx driver. only 1Gb of ram but I was about to upgrade to 4Gb. I believe there is an option in the kernel to support 4Gb or more. maybe that's the issue? why is fglrx obsolete? I have a Radeon X1200 should I be using another driver?

i92guboj 09-19-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson_steve (Post 3285914)
I have 64-bit gentoo with the fglrx driver. only 1Gb of ram but I was about to upgrade to 4Gb. I believe there is an option in the kernel to support 4Gb or more. maybe that's the issue? why is fglrx obsolete? I have a Radeon X1200 should I be using another driver?

  1. 32 bits kernels can address up to 64 GB of ram with PAE enabled, at a slight performance penalty.
  2. You can use all the ram you can imagine in x86_64, no special tweaks needed.
  3. fglrx is not obsolete, in fact, it's the only driver that ATi support, because it's the only one they provide. There are some alternatives, if you don't mind losing some performance and features, that is.

So, you shouldn't have a problem with 64 bits + 4gb + fglrx, UNLESS fglrx itself has some bug about that, which I don't know, but wouldn't surprise me.

All in all, ATi is a mess if you ask me. The driver might work or might not work depending on many factors, like the card and the driver version, whether you use xinerama or not, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: It seems you are not alone: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469

Shadowmeph 09-19-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i92guboj (Post 3286034)
  1. 32 bits kernels can address up to 64 GB of ram with PAE enabled, at a slight performance penalty.
  2. You can use all the ram you can imagine in x86_64, no special tweaks needed.
  3. fglrx is not obsolete, in fact, it's the only driver that ATi support, because it's the only one they provide. There are some alternatives, if you don't mind losing some performance and features, that is.

So, you shouldn't have a problem with 64 bits + 4gb + fglrx, UNLESS fglrx itself has some bug about that, which I don't know, but wouldn't surprise me.

All in all, ATi is a mess if you ask me. The driver might work or might not work depending on many factors, like the card and the driver version, whether you use xinerama or not, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: It seems you are not alone: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469

the strsnge thing about this is that I have opensuse running with the ram and the fglrx but it doesn't work with kubuntu or Ubuntu hardy

jschiwal 09-19-2008 06:38 PM

If you go to YaST2 -> Installation Sources, be sure to check the "Community Repositories" button. Then add the ATI repo. You may be able to install the video driver you need for your kernel using the package manager.

rickh 09-19-2008 06:41 PM

There is nothing wrong with the fglrx driver, and it works fine on Debian, which I assume, means it works fine on Ubuntu as well. Drivers are one of those things you have to fight with until you make them work, then they're never a problem again. I remember how difficult it was, but I never did figure out why. After a while, they worked and they've worked ever since.

The biggest problem, i think, is people trying to install both the vendor's version, then their distro's version. they're never compatible, and after failing with one, you'll never get the other to work until you remove all traces of the first.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.