Hi. This is what I want to conceptually accomplish. I have two identical servers - one called production, the other called test.
(1) I want to try apt-get update and other software patching and configuration changes on test, to make sure it works correctly.
(2) I then want to "ghost" the partition with all the files and config changes into some kind of image file of some sort
(3) I then want to be able to transfer this using a script from the production box using ftp? Maybe a cron job that checks and downloads any new tested update?
(4) ONce on the prouction box, this image file will need to be written onto an awaiting "empty" partition, then grub or lilo changes written so that the box reboots using the "new" version of the system.
(5) Final wish list idea - the programs running on the server (a CMS website) all write/read the databases and files on a /data partition, and this does not get overwritten. In effect, the system files and applications get updated with patches and stuff, but the data stays the same.
I appreciate any ideas on how to do this effectively