Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
A segmentation fault is a bad, bad memory error. It is caused by (among other things) a program trying to read or write a memory location that doesn't belong to it. It happens quite frequently to people learning how to program Usually you don't see them in production software, except in rare occasions.
If you are getting a segmentation fault when trying to install slackware, then it's probably a bug in the software, or as you said, a corruption of the executable, in which case a fresh copy should fix the problem. I don't know if hardware problems can cause a segfault, but you should certainly have no trouble installing slackware on that machine.
If you continue to get it, maybe you should submit a bug report to Slackware.
Distribution: Red Hat 8.0, Slackware 8.1, Knoppix 3.7, Lunar 1.3, Sorcerer
Originally posted by wapcaplet
I suppose it might be bad RAM...? But again, I'd find it strange to get a consistent segfault.
I wouldnt be surprised if an installer threw a consistent segfault if a certain set of memory cells read different than what was written to those. I'd suggest running memtest86 for a long long time ( ~ 12 hours ) to see if it catches any errors.
Hi ! I've a big problem. If linux acting like that, the programmers should destroy all version because it doesn't work ! I've got an old pentium 200mhz and my linux server crashed at every 4 months. It happened to me 2 times and the directory /bin was deleted ! Now, I've got a new computer with 160gig, 512 ram DDR 333 and I've got segmentation fault at every 3 days. I think it's timed ! The only old periphicals was on the new computer are the cd-rom, floppy drive, sound card, network card and 56k modem. I tried POWERMAX for testing bad sectors on my maxtor HD and it passed all tests ! I partitioned 7Gb for my system (/), 1Gb for my SWAP and remaining space for (/home). The message error I've got when I reboot is: "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit segmentation fault line 44". When it happened before I reboot, I can't login in consol mode and my x-windows doesn't work. That's mean the time to die is coming soon and I must reboot and I'm death. I think I've a ghost on the computer or I'm hunted. No one can't help me ! I hope someone here can help !
PS. I'm trying to remove periphical one by one for system diagnostic !
As previously suggested, I would suspect faulty RAM. I had simillar problems. Tried installing various distros of linux...there would always be something that didn't load right and it was never the same package. ( I also have Win XP. During the install of XP, I always had files that couldn't be found on the CD. Internet Explorer would crash every 20-30 mins). Thought I had hardware compatibility issues. Could never get X windows working for more than a few minutes. Apps would crash suddenly or never start etc. As a last ditch attempt, I removed the stick of RAM I suspected was faulty...re-installed Linux (for the 11th time) and everyting went smoothly. No error messages, X is stable as can be, it runs great. I almost gave up on Linux for that stick of ram. But it was a blessing in disguise actually...it was the perceived instability of XP (caused by faulty RAM) that led me to Linux in the first place!
From the "Free Online Dictionary of Computing":
An error in which a running Unix program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and terminates with a segmentation violation error and usually a core dump.
I solved my problem I think. I just changed the cd-rom drive. I installed something different also because now I can use "/" caracter in "vi" text editor. Maybe it was because I change Country France to Canada. I think it was cd-rom because it was so hard copying cd into the server.