LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
nandanm1
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 61
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Webmin on CentOS 5.3 - i386


Hi,

Could someone help as to how to install webmin on a CentOS 5.3 - i386 machine?

My actual requirement is I need to configure samba using webmin.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
centosboy
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: london
Distribution: centos5
Posts: 1,137

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandanm1 View Post
Hi,

Could someone help as to how to install webmin on a CentOS 5.3 - i386 machine?

My actual requirement is I need to configure samba using webmin.
you'd be better off using swat then webmin for samba configuration.


Code:
yum -y install samba-swat
once installed and started go to

Code:
http://localhost:901

Last edited by centosboy; 07-31-2009 at 11:02 AM.
 
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
nandanm1
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 61
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by centosboy View Post
you'd be better off using swat then webmin for samba configuration.
I was able to configure webmin but was not able to get samba working though. Hnece I tried installing swat but it did not work for me!.

I was trying it on a i386 machine and was not able to access "http://localhost:901" or "http://192.168.0.1:901" or "http://127.0.0.1:901".

I have apache installed and is running on the system. It gives an error saying " Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:901."

Is there anything else I need to check out for?
 
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
lutusp
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 835

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandanm1 View Post
I was able to configure webmin but was not able to get samba working though. Hnece I tried installing swat but it did not work for me!.

I was trying it on a i386 machine and was not able to access "http://localhost:901" or "http://192.168.0.1:901" or "http://127.0.0.1:901".

I have apache installed and is running on the system. It gives an error saying " Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:901."

Is there anything else I need to check out for?
Did you start the swat Web server? If not, that's why you couldn't access it on http://localhost:901.

Quote:
I have apache installed and is running on the system. It gives an error saying " Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:901.
Your Apache HTTP server isn't issuing this error message -- it's from Firefox directly. Just a clarification. And this thread may help
 
Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
nandanm1
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 61
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutusp View Post
Did you start the swat Web server? If not, that's why you couldn't access it on http://localhost:901.



Your Apache HTTP server isn't issuing this error message -- it's from Firefox directly. Just a clarification. And this thread may help
Hey, it worked once I changed the "disable = no" in the /etc/xinetd.d/swat file.

I restarted httpd and xinetd and it worked fine then.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CentOS-4 i386 (2.6.9-34.0.2.EL) (Red Hat 3.4.5-2) cp_almora09 Linux - Software 2 02-16-2009 08:34 AM
CentOS-4 i386 (2.6.9-34.0.2.EL) (Red Hat 3.4.5-2) cp_almora09 Linux - Software 1 02-13-2009 01:26 PM
LXer: CentOS announces CentOS 5 i386 Live CD LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-11-2007 08:01 AM
CentOS with webmin Bassboom Linux - Newbie 7 11-15-2006 12:33 PM
CentOS 4 (x86_64 or i386) Mithrilhall Linux - Newbie 2 07-14-2006 11:36 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration