to switch from X window to console:
Objective: to switch from X window to console window.
Problem in brief:
1) directly boots to X window.
2) tried to edit the default 5 to 3 in /etc/inittab and run telinit 3, and reboot. No success.
3) tried to use Ctrl+Backspace. gives me a blank or black screen.
4) Ctrl+Alt+F1 gives the same, the screen goes blank. I pressed again Ctrl+Alt+F1 just to check, no success.
Problem in detail:
I had an intel 845G chipset that doesnt work well with the xfree864.0 that came with the stable version of debian 3.0 r2. Initially X doesnt start, gave some error while booting.
But then after several tries I somehow figured out that it works for 8 bits color. (I use a monitor 19" Silicon Graphics, 30-82 KHz (H), 50-150 Hz (V), running 1024 x 768 pixels at 16 bits for windows 2000). Only problem working with the 8 bits was after you had quit to console window, you cannot come back, you got to reboot. Also if you use Ctrl+backspace, the screen will go black and you have to use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to comeback to console window. (you can read directly the 4th point now, if you feel i am doing right.)
After reading reviews about fixing intel related problems, I was required to update the kernel to atleast 2.4.11 or later, and xfree86 to 4.2 or later. So I updated both of them. Things I did when I updated kernel were
1) I used apt-get to update packages with sources.list containing one of the backports.
2) specified kernel-source-2.4.24-1-k7 i686, and got *.tar.bz2 in /etc/src folder, and then used bunzip to extract them , and then configured them using make menuconfig, and then make dep.
3) Then I rebooted (directly went to X window) and checked the version I am running, using uname -r, got 2.4.24 and everything was fine.
4) The usual keys Ctrl+Alt+F1 gives me a blank screen and nothing seems to come after.
5) I tried Ctrl+backspace, Ctrl+Alt+F1, Alt+F1, combinations. Also I edited the /etc/inittab default option from 5 to 3. no success.
6) Ctrl+Alt+ (+ or _) when inside the X window works good.
I need some help from you guys, to set this thing right. I want to get back to console window somehow after starting so I can follow the guidelines given by Intel to make my X window work better.