LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/)
-   -   Strange things happening with pacman package manager (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/strange-things-happening-with-pacman-package-manager-788273/)

MTK358 02-10-2010 01:00 PM

Strange things happening with pacman package manager
 
I decided to update using "pacman -Syu", and it said:

Code:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kdelibs-experimental with extra/kdelibs? [Y/n]
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kdelibs: requires phonon

I didn't know what to do, si I ran "pacman -S kdelibs" (BTW, phonon was not one of its dependencies). Then I tried to update again. Same thing! So I decided to run "pacman -Rns kdelibs" to get back to my previous state. But it says that some programs I have depend on it! How it that supposed to be if those programs worked before? Anyway, I decided to install phonon. But it said that it conflicts with Qt and asked me if I want to remove Qt!

What should I do?

carbonfiber 02-10-2010 02:00 PM

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=90629

MTK358 02-10-2010 02:22 PM

Code:

$ sudo pacman -Sy --asdeps qt
Password:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra                    447.5K  168.4K/s 00:00:03 [#####################] 100%
 community                368.2K  172.7K/s 00:00:02 [#####################] 100%
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kdelibs: requires phonon


pixellany 02-10-2010 02:38 PM

I don't know if this is relevant, but I sometimes select a different mirror, re-sync, and then run pacman -S again. I assume that the mirrors are simply not always staying synchronized.

Also, there's a new utility for selecting the best mirrors to use. I've not yet mustered the neurons to tackle this.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

reed9 02-10-2010 02:53 PM

Before I read the announcement, I solved the problem with simply removing qt and then upgrading.

Code:

pacman -Rd qt
pacman -Syu


MTK358 02-10-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3859407)
I don't know if this is relevant, but I sometimes select a different mirror, re-sync, and then run pacman -S again. I assume that the mirrors are simply not always staying synchronized.

Also, there's a new utility for selecting the best mirrors to use. I've not yet mustered the neurons to tackle this.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

If you're talking about "rankmirrors", I did that right after installing Arch.

pixellany 02-10-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTK358 (Post 3859518)
If you're talking about "rankmirrors", I did that right after installing Arch.

Now you're making me feel inferior.....;)

Do you have more than one mirror enabled? When I read the instructions, it sounded like this was possible. (I have always assumed that Arch could only use one mirror at a time)

MTK358 02-10-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reed9 (Post 3859421)
Before I read the announcement, I solved the problem with simply removing qt and then upgrading.

Code:

pacman -Rd qt
pacman -Syu


That seems to work, and I see that Qt is included in the updates.

Will I have to do this every time I update?

MTK358 02-10-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3859522)
Now you're making me feel inferior.....;)

Do you have more than one mirror enabled? When I read the instructions, it sounded like this was possible. (I have always assumed that Arch could only use one mirror at a time)

AFAIK if you have more than one mirror selected it chooses the first one on the list, if it fails it tries the second, etc.

reed9 02-11-2010 07:48 AM

No, you won't have to do that everytime you update. This was a special case involving a major upgrade. A couple times a year something big comes down the pipe and you have to pay extra attention to what's going on.

Yes, you are correct regarding the mirrors. It tried each in order. However, you can use either powerpill or bauerbill, which does allow you to use multiple mirrors (utilizing reflector to do so). All of those are in the AUR (actually I think reflector is in the community repo) or you can enable Xyne's (the author) repo.
http://xyne.archlinux.ca/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.