[SOLVED] Still having rsync errors to external drive
Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
So if it's really per folder, how could I go about rsync'ing just folders who's names start with characters up through say the letter L to one folder on the external drive, then the remaining to another folder? Maybe splitting them up like that would work, and it would be logical for the users to do it alphabetically.
I guess ideally I'd want symbols,numbers, letters through L in one, then M-Z in the other. since that's how i think it naturally sorts them. I just dont know how to do it.
I should probably open a new topic for this, as knowing how to do that might be useful for someone else. Then I can report back here if that solved the problem that I originally posted about.
It's a USB external hard drive with 2 1TB hard disks, that you can either RAID0 for 2TB usable space, or RAID1 for 1TB but redundancy. Wherever I plug the external USB drive in now, it recognizes it as a 1TB external drive. it's not a NAS. I used a utility that came with the drive to setup the RAID1 on the hard drive.
Distribution: Debian Wheezy/Jessie/Sid, Linux Mint DE
Frankly I don't think these questions have anything to do with your problem, I am just interested as I am extremely unfamiliar with the latest hardware gadgets. Last year I made a giant leap forward by installing sda RAID in my server.
Do you have a specification of this device? Also I am a bit surprised about that 'own' driver while Linux has tried and true mdadm. But unusable for Win & Mac of course.
I've been able to copy individual folders to my desktop, but i dont have enough space to try the whole thing, unless i copy it to one of these drives that are identical to the one i'm having problems on.
I'd really like to try rsync'ing to two folders separating it half in one half in the other, if i could only figure out how.
I figured out how to do it, and that seems to have fixed my problems. I have only a few folders at the root, then have things broken into other subfolders under that, with the results of ls | wc -l being around 10,000 or so, I seem to be good. think it was related to fat32 and trying to jam too much into folders.