Runlevel5 services failing after updating to 2.6.4
Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
If I boot to the old kernel (2.4.21.... -default suse9 kernel) everything works fine.
I have compiled kernels numerous times in the 2.4.x series, but this was my first attempt at 2.6.x- makes me feel like a newb again.
I don't really care about this, but I would also like to know why the blue splash screen went away on my new kernel but is still there with the old one. I duplicated the grub entry (I'm used to lilo) to look just like the old grub entry, but with the updated kernel.
A big reason for going for the upgraded kernel (besides experimentation) was because I was having dma problems with my IDE hdd. I did alot of googling and figured out that it was something to do with the way the 2.4.21-up kernels dealt with UDMA. Still getting the same problem with the new kernel as well, so I added to grub ide=nodma to kill the long timeouts and error messages- something about:
dma timeout error: status=0x58
dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
Drive works fine under 2kpro, and is on the same controller as another IDE drive that has no DMA problems.