LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
comcastuser
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 142

Rep: Reputation: 22
Put your Linux shell alias in cloudspace? Ummmm... wut?


Apparently there is a website dedicated to putting your oft-used shell command aliases online to store in the cloudverse.

alias.sh puts your Linux shell alias on the clouds

A list of aliases posted by other users for the public to look at

Example of a publicly posted alias:

Code:
alias c='clear'

Is this some new popular thing? One thing hits me right off the bat: these aliases being put on display aren't all that advanced. I was doing a few of these aliases years ago as a "unix baby" in 1989 when real system administrators were still changing my e-Diapers.

And... can someone explain how this whole project is useful for anything besides sheer narcissism?

I'm sorry for sounding like an uneducated snob. I just don't get this. If I'm not wrong then I fear a trend of narcissism and utter pointlessness is creeping into the unix community.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,572
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027
Yes, I stumbled upon that site a few weeks ago. At first I thought what a misguided idea to put my aliases in the cloud.... but then I thought what a misguided idea to put my aliases in the cloud again. After that when I started browsing other people's aliases it occurred to me what a misguided idea to put my aliases in the cloud but I really like the fact that other people put their aliases in the cloud. I don't think I have any original / unique / "inspirational" aliases.

Admittedly, there are loads of basic aliases out there on the website but I've found a few that I really liked. It's not about narcissism. If a great number of users (mostly advanced users) submit their aliases contributing some interesting content, the site will be really useful both for newbies and more advanced admins looking for inspiration / fresh ideas on how to make their life easier.
 
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
comcastuser
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 142

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
Yes, I stumbled upon that site a few weeks ago. At first I thought what a misguided idea to put my aliases in the cloud.... but then I thought what a misguided idea to put my aliases in the cloud again. After that when I started browsing other people's aliases it occurred to me what a misguided idea to put my aliases in the cloud
LOLOL!!

Quote:
but I really like the fact that other people put their aliases in the cloud. I don't think I have any original / unique / "inspirational" aliases.

Admittedly, there are loads of basic aliases out there on the website but I've found a few that I really liked. It's not about narcissism. If a great number of users (mostly advanced users) submit their aliases contributing some interesting content, the site will be really useful both for newbies and more advanced admins looking for inspiration / fresh ideas on how to make their life easier.
Yes, if there are some really awesome aliases that get put in, they could be of help to others.

I think a better idea would be a simple discussion site to submit shell scripts in general. Come to think of it, LinuxQuestions could practically cover all of the above...

This gets me to wondering if the educational infrastructure for learning aliases and Linux/unix shell programming in general, is as shabby as when I first got into it. /offtopic
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,572
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by comcastuser View Post
LOLOL!!


Yes, if there are some really awesome aliases that get put in, they could be of help to others.

I think a better idea would be a simple discussion site to submit shell scripts in general. Come to think of it, LinuxQuestions could practically cover all of the above...
Yes, it could be a thread on LQ or LQ wiki.


Quote:
Originally Posted by comcastuser View Post
This gets me to wondering if the educational infrastructure for learning aliases and Linux/unix shell programming in general, is as shabby as when I first got into it. /offtopic
I think there are some good resources out there. As far as aliases are concerned, they are no rocket science. The basic idea can be understood in a minute. It takes good knowledge of the shell in general to make any good use of aliases, though.

IMHO, as with any area of knowledge/skills, if someone really wants to achieve something, the quality of documentation/manuals does not matter much. Obviously, having well written tutorials/manuals/wikis helps but are not a guarantee of success when there is no willingness to put some effort.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: alias.sh puts your Linux shell alias on the clouds LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-21-2013 12:00 AM
where should I put an alias Four Linux - Newbie 2 11-04-2006 09:56 AM
where I put the alias?? VemeC Slackware 4 06-26-2004 12:39 AM
Ummmm gaming in linux is... xodustrance Linux - Games 4 02-20-2004 10:47 AM
where to put global alias' true_atlantis Slackware 4 12-25-2003 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration