LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
chessonly
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 57

Rep: Reputation: 15
Permissions Questions - Need help please!


I have a wordpress like php script, that is installed just like wordpress - from the browser.
This script mkdir's folder and in this folder needs write permissions on certain files.

But 50% of the time (on different servers) , the script fails to install because it doesn't have the write permission on those files.

Q1. Why doesn't it have the required permissions? it successfully created a folder , so shouldn't it have write permissions on every file in the folder ?

Q2. Who is the owner of such a folder/files ? www-data ?
Q3. What is the ideal way to install these wordpress like scripts, as far as permissions are concerned ?

I have half a day to fix this issue. Please Help!

Edit:I asked my 'boss' and he revealed the script isn't installed via a script on my most occasions, but simply copied to the server via ftp. i.e unzip on local -> then transfer the unzipped files to server via ftp.

Last edited by chessonly; 09-27-2013 at 05:42 AM.
 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
SAbhi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Bangaluru, India
Distribution: CentOS 6.5, SuSE SLED/ SLES 10.2 SP2 /11.2, Fedora 11/16
Posts: 516

Rep: Reputation: 58
Cant say anyone can understand your question ? you yourself looks confused..
so with the data provided i can say:
Quote:
I have a wordpress like php script, that is installed just like wordpress - from the browser.
This script mkdir's folder and in this folder needs write permissions on certain files.

But 50% of the time (on different servers) , the script fails to install because it doesn't have the write permission on those files.

Q1. Why doesn't it have the required permissions? it successfully created a folder , so shouldn't it have write permissions on every file in the folder ?
As long as you are running the scripts as auser that has permissions to write to the directory, the script will run good.

Quote:
Q2. Who is the owner of such a folder/files ? www-data ?
you better know that, do a ls -l on that directory to find out.

Quote:
Q3. What is the ideal way to install these wordpress like scripts, as far as permissions are concerned ?

I have half a day to fix this issue. Please Help!
Run as a usre that has required set of permissions or run as root.

well full day passed now

Last edited by SAbhi; 09-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FTP permissions questions.. jedilost1 Linux - Server 2 10-15-2008 10:17 PM
mysql permissions questions.... Basslord1124 Slackware 4 11-09-2006 08:04 AM
Few questions: permissions, graphics mainly... Kramer Linux - Hardware 3 08-18-2005 05:03 PM
Basic permissions questions Punker51 Linux - Newbie 4 12-06-2003 05:26 PM
Permissions Questions JHuizingh Linux - General 4 01-16-2003 02:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration