Originally posted by Nicksan
How can i set opera as my default browerser in RH8 on Kde, last time i tried to opera would not start up at all and i lost all my favorites? thanks.
the only way, i really know how is to do this convoluted mumbo jumbo.
1. open up the control center and find the File Associations category.
2. in the know types tree listing expand the text listing and find html.
3. in the application preference order, if opera isn't listed, then add opera by clicking the add button. You'll get a little pop up with a tree listing of your K Menu. go to the Internet Category of that tree listing and choose opera. Click OK. Opera should now be listed at the bottom. Click the Move up button until Opera is at the top. if it is already listed, click the Move up button until Opera is at the top. Click the Apply button.
4. Repeat from step 2 except look for shtml or any other web based text documents. I only did it for html and shtml since those are the only plain text web documents that i know of.
5. Now do this so that when you're using kmail or something and click on a link, opera will open correctly. Right click on the K Start button and choose menu editor. Find Opera in the Internet Category. change the command from opera to opera %u
note that i'm not sure the exact hierarchy of the k menu in 8.0, so opera may not be or you may not have an Internet category. but the opera command that you changed in the k menu has to be from the same category that you used to add opera to the html and shtml file type.