mysql database restore help
I have restored a mysql database, named pbcs7, from a backup that was created via a tar command, but the data is not there.
The database program - PBCS which is an appointment system - resides in /home/www/public_html and the mysql database is in /var/lib/mysql
It all started when I deleted one of the users, 'michael', that had admin rights, from one group and lo and behold 'michael' disappeared from all groups as did the data. My other admin user was still there, but the data belonged to 'michael'
Steps for restoration of the backup (permissions were found to be preserved):
1. the backed up 'pbcs7' database files were temporarily restored using the tar -zxvf command to:
2. made copy of files in use (ie the files from which data was missing) to...restore2 directory
cp -a /var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/* /var/lib/restore2/
3. /sbin/service mysqld stop
4. restored pbcs7 database files to the working mysql directory
cp -a /var/lib/restore/var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/* /var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/
5. /sbin/service mysqld start
Any help would be great