LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
Members of LQ using Hag Linux? Anybody??


I'm playing with Hag Linux, which is grml medium I think...
trying to autostartx fluxbox
anyone know how to do this?
thanks
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
You do manage to dig up some pretty obscure stuff!!!---this is not even on Distrowatch.

gmrl?

Autostart Fluxbox: Can you not do it with an entry in /etc/inittab or ~/.xinitrc ?
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
Thanks for answering Pix!

Yeah, I dig up Gold though

Obscure distro's?
You want a list, LOL

Hag is based on GRML
http://grml.org/

http://hag-linux.eu.org/

Best fluxbox I ever saw in hag version codenamed Blackcat

Problems?
Can't seem to get x autostarted..

Hag has 2 versions of fluxbox..
grml reg fluxbox
hag special fluxbox
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...1&d=1249736127

In grml 2009, you just add parameter "startx=windowmanager"
doesn't work in Hag though?

What file in /home/grml can I edit to start x?
.xsession, .xinitrc, ?

both grml/hag are debian unstable, like sidux
Mmmm...?
HELP!

Last edited by linus72; 08-08-2009 at 08:43 AM.
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
You would normally autostart X using something like /etc/inittab and the scripts in /etc/init.d

If these are based on Debian, there's probably lots of info around
 
Old 08-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
azhag
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Debian, PLD
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
I'm playing with Hag Linux, which is grml medium I think...
trying to autostartx fluxbox
anyone know how to do this?
thanks
Hi,

I recommend nodm to autostart X.

PS I'm glad you like Hag.
 
Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
What?
are you the force behind it?

that would be awesome!

LOL
I just finished my remasters of grml-medium and pmagic/pupy
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...83#post3662683

Hag rocks don't it?
I like the hag fluxbox

if your the maintainer please post back
 
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
OK
I installed nodm
edited /etc/default/nodm
to start x with user grml

BUT
when I choose EXIT from fluxbox menu
it goes to console for a second then fluxbox starts again

How do I get it to exit to console like it's supposed to?

mmm?
thanks
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
azhag
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Debian, PLD
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72
What?
are you the force behind it?
Yes, I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
when I choose EXIT from fluxbox menu
it goes to console for a second then fluxbox starts again

How do I get it to exit to console like it's supposed to?
nodm is designed for embedded devices, so in nodm it's supposed to start X over and over again. You probably need to stop nodm daemon, to stop X permanently.
 
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
Mmmm
thanks for answering azhag

Now, stopping the nodm daemon?

Can I somehow edit the fluxbox menu or something so when I choose
"exit" it stops the nodm daemon and exits to console?

Is there a config file somewhere for nodm?


also, how do I get your "devices" submenu into my fluxbox
and the toolbar volume app too

whens the new Hag coming out?
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
azhag
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Debian, PLD
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
Now, stopping the nodm daemon?

Can I somehow edit the fluxbox menu or something so when I choose
"exit" it stops the nodm daemon and exits to console?
Sure, something like
Code:
[exec] (Exit) {sudo /etc/init.d/nodm stop; fluxbox-remote exit}
should be fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
Is there a config file somewhere for nodm?
probably /etc/default/nodm only

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
also, how do I get your "devices" submenu into my fluxbox
/usr/bin/hag-gen-menu, lines 76-95
this parse /etc/fstab into fluxbox menu entries. Then you need to include this menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
and the toolbar volume app too
http://hag-linux.eu.org/wiki/HagPack...volume-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
whens the new Hag coming out?
I'm not sure, I have few new ideas and have to fix some things, but I'm a little busy lately...
 
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
OK
but I'm really a newbie dude
I have zero bash scripting ability

I installed the stuff for the volume app
and theres this script here
http://pastie.org/259660.txt

am I supposed to copy and put that script somewhere or what?

also,
the devices menu
Quote:
/usr/bin/hag-gen-menu, lines 76-95
this parse /etc/fstab into fluxbox menu entries. Then you need to include this menu.
am I supposed to put your hag script in /usr/bin/hag-gen-menu??

please simplify your explannation?
I am bash,etc retarded

OH
also, how do I disable nodm if I don't want to auto start fluxbox?
I tried a cheatcode "nodm=off"
that didn't work
maybe I have to enter into the initrd.gz to make that boot code or what?

Also, How did you remaster GRL into Hag?
it was pretty difficult for me cause I was trying to manually edit the fluxbox menu in /etc/X11/fluxbox
which didn't work
Finally, I had to chroot in to grml-medium
add what I want thru apt-get
then I cd'd into /home/grml
and did "su grml"
to become user grml
I then uploaded my running /home/grml/* as a tar.gz
then downloaded it into my chroot with wget
then untarred it as user grml and did

cp -a grml/* /home/

or something like that and it worked
thats only way I could get my menu and opera bookmarks etc in there
how did you do it?

thanks for your advice too'
its invaluable

Last edited by linus72; 09-01-2009 at 04:59 PM.
 
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
azhag
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Debian, PLD
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
OK
but I'm really a newbie dude
I have zero bash scripting ability

I installed the stuff for the volume app
and theres this script here
http://pastie.org/259660.txt

am I supposed to copy and put that script somewhere or what?
Why don/t you just install deb package?


Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
also,
the devices menu


am I supposed to put your hag script in /usr/bin/hag-gen-menu??

please simplify your explannation?
I am bash,etc retarded
Put it anywhere, then execute it while generating menu (the best place to do that is ~/.fluxbox/startup, see Hag's startup). And make sure that you include created file (hag-mount-menu? I can't remember) in your menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
OH
also, how do I disable nodm if I don't want to auto start fluxbox?
I tried a cheatcode "nodm=off"
that didn't work
maybe I have to enter into the initrd.gz to make that boot code or what?
I don't know, probably you have to sniff around isolinux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
Also, How did you remaster GRL into Hag?
it was pretty difficult for me cause I was trying to manually edit the fluxbox menu in /etc/X11/fluxbox
which didn't work
Finally, I had to chroot in to grml-medium
add what I want thru apt-get
then I cd'd into /home/grml
and did "su grml"
to become user grml
I then uploaded my running /home/grml/* as a tar.gz
then downloaded it into my chroot with wget
then untarred it as user grml and did

cp -a grml/* /home/

or something like that and it worked
thats only way I could get my menu and opera bookmarks etc in there
how did you do it?
I created packages with my config, script etc., uploaded them to my repository and added them to grml-live configs.
All files that should be in /home/grml/ I place in /etc/skel/. System copies this directory to /home/grml/

Last edited by azhag; 09-03-2009 at 03:48 PM.
 
Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
YOUR THE MAN!
thanks
/etc/skel

I knew I was overlooking something damn it!
thanks bro
Please post when you release a new Hag?
 
Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,174
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 428Reputation: 428Reputation: 428Reputation: 428Reputation: 428
Actually, azhag, if you would like to have a dedicated sub-forum here, drop Jeremy a line to discuss it with him. You could also get yourself a shiny title under your name too
 
Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,057

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328Reputation: 328
NO doubt!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for new members interested in linux roach7711x Linux - Newbie 1 02-22-2009 03:04 PM
Hi Linux members Anandhi LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 3 07-09-2008 10:40 PM
CompTIA Linux + members. tenchidbz Linux - Certification 3 06-28-2008 08:30 AM
Hi to fellow Linux members. russi LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 03-06-2008 11:15 PM
LXer: Vector Linux - Chaucer's Beautiful Hag LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-25-2007 09:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration