Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I'm trying to compile GCC 3.2.1 in slackware to try and take advantage of the optimisations since the default package is only i386.
I'm getting various compile errors. One was crtsuff.c Internal error: Seg fault . The most recent one I didn't write down but it had to do w/ linking to an object file. I'm not on my linux box so I can't paste the error messages in here. I've tried only compiling "c" instead of objc and c++ w/ the "--enable-language=" flag. Here are the params I've tried when compiling. My guess is they're too agressive which is why it's messing up. Here's the command I've tried typing in w/o "":
I don't have a comp sci degree but I have programmed before to some extent before; what I'm trying to say is I'm just looking at the compile flags and choosing the ones I think fit.
I've also tried doing a make clean after the compile errors which didn't seem to help. ./configure doesn't report any errors and it does compile for a few mintues before spitting out an error. I'm also guessing when I do a make install it will copy the libs to the right directory or should I specify it w/ flags during the ./configure.
--enable-threads=posix: This enables C++ exception handling for multithreaded code.
--enable-__cxa_atexit: This option will result in C++ shared libraries and C++ programs that are interoperable with other linux distributions.
--enable-clocale=gnu: There is a risk that some people will build ABI incompatible C++ libraries if they didn't install all of the glibc localedata. Using --enable-clocale=gnu ensures that the "right thing" is done in all cases. If you don't wish to use this option, then at least build the de_DE locale. When GCC finds this specific locale, then the correct locale mode (gnu) is implemented.
You might need to change a few of those commands to get it setup properly afterwards to fit your slackware distribution.
It adds a patch which might be necessary to get it to compile properly. Also you should be careful when doing optimistations by setting the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. It worked fine when I compiled it but if you get segmentation faults you should unset these variables.