Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Just as a quick check on one of my RedHat servers: 347 files in /usr/bin and 123 in /usr/sbin. That means 25% (ignoring all other directories) are in /usr/sbin. So while you'e correct that 75% is technically "most" the other 25% could be considered "significant".
Look at it this way: I could probably or play tennis with only 75% of my limbs but wouldn't be willing to get rid of 25% of them to do it. And of course it would depend a lot on what the 25% missing was - one hell of a lot easier if its an arm rather than a leg.
Wasn't trying to put you down in prior post - just noting issues with the method you mentioned. The point in forums is to learn. On more than one occasion someone has pointed out things I didn't know and I saw no need to take umbrage at it.
When I saw someone was asking to see what programs were installed, I instantly thought the most direct (although incomplete) way would be to take a look into /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. Then I had second thoughts about sbin since it contains things that are more exotic (I explain below what I mean).
Since the person introduced himself as a newbie, I assumed that he just wanted to see what programs (like firefox, kmail...) were installed. And the simplest way to help was to suggest him to take a peek in /usr/bin. Of course, there are a lot of things in sbin but I felt that the user was looking for things like firefox rather than sshd or traceroute.
I know where programs are. In /usr/bin but also sbin and elsewhere. My goal was not to be technically flawless but rather to provide with a simple and immediate answer. It seemed to me more simple than exploring the packages and it probably met the needs of the person who posted the message.
I still think that looking in /usr/bin is the simplest way to answer questions like 'do I have mozilla?' which what I understood was the purpose athough it will miss a lot of things.