Linuxc and USB
I have been reading threads for about two hours and haven't found my exact problem. I'm trying to make a bootable USB with Knoppix 5.1.1----I have followed the directions three times and no success. My question isn't about knoppix at all, it is a general question about syntax and commands, so I'm trying this forum. I have done the following in order:
8. # Type umount /dev/sdx1 to ensure the partition is unmounted
9. # Type mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n usb /dev/sdx1 to format the first partition
10. # Type umount /dev/sdx2 to ensure the partition is unmounted.
11. # Type mkfs.ext2 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sdx2 to format the second partition
12. # Remove and reinsert your USB flash drive
13. # Type mkdir /tmp/usb
14 # Type mount /dev/sdx1 /tmp/usb
15. # Type cd /cdrom
These are mid-instruction steps actually, I have done everything before this point. Now I have a Usb drive with two partitions one Fat16 and one ext2, good so far.My question is after doing # 13 the directory is created in the ramdisk NOT on USB... so step 14 won't work. Am I missing something here???? Isn't the intent to create the dir on the USB not in the Ramdrive?? Please explain to me why this won't work and how to do it correctly. Thank you, your student.