LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Rep: Reputation: 51
Linux Hack: a way to get that Skype working without X


Hello,

For Linux box and servers that runs without X. Gonna we hack that Skype to make it automatically replying contact calls without X. we can set skype options it up with a ssh -X when we admin the box.

Hacking skype cannot be bad at all...
 
Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
You may want to read this: http://www.skype.com/legal/terms/web/

And then read the End User License Agreement before you start hacking away. http://www.skype.com/legal/eula/

Specifically note section 2.3:

Quote:
2.3 No Modifications: You will not undertake, cause, permit or authorize the modification, creation of derivative works, translation, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling or hacking of the Skype Software or any part thereof except to the extent permitted by law.
So I'd say, whatever you have planned is illegal and no one here should be able to help you.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
Now if you wanted to create a third party type application to use Skype's API, then this would be the route to go: https://developer.skype.com/Certification/Software
 
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickykid View Post
You may want to read this: http://www.skype.com/legal/terms/web/

And then read the End User License Agreement before you start hacking away. http://www.skype.com/legal/eula/

Specifically note section 2.3:



So I'd say, whatever you have planned is illegal and no one here should be able to help you.
Oups
Didnt know.

But would you think that running without X is illegal? I mean we could run it in a virtual way (we don't modify the coding of skype bin file) ? no? Any ideas?
 
Old 07-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
matthewg42
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Kubuntu 12.10 (using awesome wm though)
Posts: 3,530

Rep: Reputation: 63
Is there some way to communicate with a running Skype process using something like dcop, or by invoking the binary with command line options?

If so, you could run Skype on a dummy x server which doesn't need a display, like Xvfb, and use dcop or some similar mechanism to initiate calls and so on.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
To my knowledge, skype is a graphical program that uses X to function properly. Unless they have a console program available, see above options I provided from their site.

If you want some type of VOIP to reply to calls without any interaction or X, perhaps you should look into setting up asterisk and not use Skype services.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewg42 View Post
Is there some way to communicate with a running Skype process using something like dcop, or by invoking the binary with command line options?

If so, you could run Skype on a dummy x server which doesn't need a display, like Xvfb, and use dcop or some similar mechanism to initiate calls and so on.
I also thought about the virtual X that runs :
metisse X windwos manager in the processes (no real X)

or that virtual X Xwd.. something, cant recall the name.

...
in that way, that s Legal... ! no?

it is a real X, that simply runs into the process. ps -aux.

http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/docs/running.html

xvncserver runnning in the process, is also a very good example of some X "hack"... well another type and purpose

Last edited by frenchn00b; 07-08-2008 at 03:38 PM.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
still nothing in that field; but importnat is to say that skype No X has an alternative, now:


http://www.pjsip.org/pjsua.htm

it can do voip command line; no x
 
Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,733
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457
Might try skyped along with bitlbee

$ apt-cache show skyped
Package: skyped
Priority: extra
Section: contrib/net
Installed-Size: 76
Maintainer: David Spreen <netzwurm@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: bitlbee-skype
Version: 0.7.2-1
Depends: python (>= 2.5), python-gnutls, python-skype (>= 0.9.28.7)
Recommends: skype
Filename: pool/contrib/b/bitlbee-skype/skyped_0.7.2-1_i386.deb
Size: 41538
MD5sum: 2527abc6b18e6bc4be0c32007e95c306
SHA1: b6c155d321bb5da4aa24b1f81899d42f940a729d
SHA256: e68aa8d4075889deed17ea0883f92e0388432a0c9eff3c97c8c4ded069866b54
Description: Daemon to control Skype remotely
Daemon to control the gui skype client. Currently required to
control skype from the BitlBee IRC2IM gateway. Skyped and Skype
can run on a different host than the BitlBee server, the
communication is encrypted.
.
You need to download and install the Skype client for this
to work.
Homepage: http://vmiklos.hu/project/bitlbee-skype/
 
Old 10-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevil View Post
Might try skyped along with bitlbee

$ apt-cache show skyped
Package: skyped
Priority: extra
Section: contrib/net
Installed-Size: 76
Maintainer: David Spreen <netzwurm@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: bitlbee-skype
Version: 0.7.2-1
Depends: python (>= 2.5), python-gnutls, python-skype (>= 0.9.28.7)
Recommends: skype
Filename: pool/contrib/b/bitlbee-skype/skyped_0.7.2-1_i386.deb
Size: 41538
MD5sum: 2527abc6b18e6bc4be0c32007e95c306
SHA1: b6c155d321bb5da4aa24b1f81899d42f940a729d
SHA256: e68aa8d4075889deed17ea0883f92e0388432a0c9eff3c97c8c4ded069866b54
Description: Daemon to control Skype remotely
Daemon to control the gui skype client. Currently required to
control skype from the BitlBee IRC2IM gateway. Skyped and Skype
can run on a different host than the BitlBee server, the
communication is encrypted.
.
You need to download and install the Skype client for this
to work.
Homepage: http://vmiklos.hu/project/bitlbee-skype/
here are the screenshots http://vmiklos.hu/project/bitlbee-skype/shot/

I installed skyped and asciidoc Skype4Py too
but still no way to install :
bitlbee-skype-0.8.0


ok, got it from http://ftp.is.debian.org/debian/pool...7.2-1_i386.deb

so all seems installed ;... hmm
Code:
bitlbee-skype-0.8.0# make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
error:
Quote:
:/usr/sbin$ ./bitlbee
Warning: Unable to read configuration file `/etc/bitlbee/bitlbee.conf'.
:localhost.localdomain NOTICE AUTH :BitlBee-IRCd initialized, please go on
ERROR :Warning: Permission problem: Can't read/write from/to `/var/lib/bitlbee/'.

Last edited by frenchn00b; 10-18-2009 at 10:27 AM.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Code:
 Permissions question
I'm trying to run bitlbee, but when I run the program I get the following message:
Quote:
ERROR :Warning: Permission problem: Can't read/write from/to /var/lib/bitlbee/.
My question is, would it be stupid to change the permissions on /var/lib/bitlbee, or should I redirect bitlbee to use a different directory, like ./.bitlbee/ or something to store it's config files?
mkdir .skyped
Quote:
openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes -config skyped.cnf -out skyped.cert.pem \
> -keyout skyped.key.pem
error on line -1 of skyped.cnf
19673:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:122:fopen('skyped.cnf','rb')
19673:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:bss_file.c:125:
19673:error:0E078072:configuration file routinesEF_LOAD:no such file:conf_def.c:197:

Last edited by frenchn00b; 10-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.
 
Old 10-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
and what about :

openmcu

and

ohphone

they are in the repositories
but well ohphone does not handle alsa
 
Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
isnt there some no-x way for the testing debian, somehow?

Code:
 apt-cache search skype
skytools - Database management tools from Skype to PostgreSQL
python-skype - Skype API wrapper for Python
skysentials - extra functionalities for Linux Skype client
 
Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
craigevil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: OZ
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 4,733
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457Reputation: 457
$ aptitude search ~nskype
p bitlbee-plugin-skype - Skype plugin for BitlBee
p python-skype - Skype API wrapper for Python
p skyped - Daemon to control Skype remotely

$ apt-cache search skype
earcandy - Sound level manager for PulseAudio
skytools - Database management tools from Skype to PostgreSQL
bitlbee-plugin-skype - Skype plugin for BitlBee
python-skype - Skype API wrapper for Python
skyped - Daemon to control Skype remotely
skysentials - extra functionalities for Linux Skype client
 
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
frenchn00b
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: E.U., Mountains :-)
Distribution: Debian, Etch, the greatest
Posts: 2,546

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevil View Post
$ aptitude search ~nskype
p bitlbee-plugin-skype - Skype plugin for BitlBee
p python-skype - Skype API wrapper for Python
p skyped - Daemon to control Skype remotely

$ apt-cache search skype
earcandy - Sound level manager for PulseAudio
skytools - Database management tools from Skype to PostgreSQL
bitlbee-plugin-skype - Skype plugin for BitlBee
python-skype - Skype API wrapper for Python
skyped - Daemon to control Skype remotely
skysentials - extra functionalities for Linux Skype client
it seems that the bitlbee is hte only reliable application that can do something.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Fring.com -like working for linux (voip, sip, skype together, and msn,icq...) frenchn00b General 1 04-20-2008 05:43 PM
skype is not working... Mr.mick-duck Mandriva 5 03-13-2008 03:20 PM
www not working but skype,amule kalleanka Linux - Networking 2 04-07-2007 07:58 AM
How to get skype working peterfc Linux - Desktop 3 08-30-2006 08:54 PM
skype not working after one call. d2490n Linux - Newbie 9 02-22-2006 03:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration