LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #31
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,027

Rep: Reputation: 360Reputation: 360Reputation: 360Reputation: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
...I don't care if this "feature" can be disabled or not. I'm not buying it.
That is the power of freedom, don't let those control freaks take it alway from you.

Regards
 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
theKbStockpiler
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Central New York
Distribution: Fedora14,Scientific 6.1?, Mandriva 2010 ;GO MAGEIA!!!Next up Gentoo
Posts: 828

Rep: Reputation: 51
Torvalds was not born in the grave like the rest of us

Some people only relate to obscenities so they have to be used to have a discussion with them. I don't think as a whole that a lot of people mature past the goals of their genitalia anyways so it's the language you must use. I have no doubt that the people Torvalds has to deal with are accurately described as @$#*%ed in the head. I don't see why Torvalds should have to go along with the Dog and Pony Shows that the majority of us have to toe the line with to keep our lousy rolls in society.


It looks like Linux users are going to have to get better at hardware hacks in the future or gain some leverage somehow.


BTW I just started using Midori and have found in quite good. Everyone should install it.

Last edited by theKbStockpiler; 03-04-2013 at 12:01 PM.
 
Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #33
Soderlund
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 111

Rep: Reputation: 50
The reason for why Linus Torvalds will always piss off Brits and Americans is that he is a viking. His sometimes barbarian behavior is because of the viking blood in him.

I think a brief history lesson is appropriate to understand why this cannot be helped and why you can't demand civility of him. Back in the good old days, when we weren't busy dressing in blood-soaked wolf furs and going on rampages (at least until king Harald banned that activity, after uniting Norway), we were raiding your lands and burning down your churches. Merely mentioning the Norsemen was enough to make you tremble in fear, as evident by this prayer from the 9th century to ward against Norsemen:
Quote:
Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quæ nostra vastat, Deus, regna.

[Pity the highest favor by preserving and guarding our bodies, free us from the savage Norman tribe who devastates our realms.]
A few centuries ago Finland was part of Sweden, and was called Österland ("Eastern land"). It's called something else today but it's the same ancestry.

Quote:
"I'd like to be a nice person and curse less and encourage people to grow rather than telling them they are idiots. I'm sorry - I tried, it's just not in me," he said.
You see. It's in his blood. And we can see in the same statement that his intentions are good.

My lady suggested to me, that if we get another child and it's a boy, we should name him Linus. I said fine, but only if we tell everyone that he is named after the great Linus Torvalds. And we agreed to that.

But the viking is not merely offensive and rude. He is a witty genius who says things exactly like they are, without wrapping them in. His heart is pure and he uses his skills and knowledge to contribute to the world rather than to enrich himself. It doesn't matter what he says; he will always be the pride of Scandinavia because we vikings understand that it's not about what you say -- it's about what you do.

This is for you, Linus, if you ever read this:
Quote:
Tyst och klok
vare konungason,
och djärv, när strid står;
munter och glad
bland män envar,
tills han av döden drabbas!
Den Höges Sång

Last edited by Soderlund; 03-04-2013 at 02:43 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Sitting in front of my computer.
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,132
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler View Post
I don't see why Torvalds should have to go along with the Dog and Pony Shows that the majority of us have to toe the line with to keep our lousy rolls in society.
A valid opinion.
Although most people hold the equally valid opinion that those in positions of prominence have a greater responsibility to behave in a civilised manner, because it is difficult to appear professional, educated or cultured if one is flinging profanity around.

Quote:
Some people only relate to obscenities so they have to be used to have a discussion with them.
The problem with that assessment is the discussion being referred to "takes place on the Linux Kernel Mailing List." That means the Homo Erectus individuals Torvalds was interacting with are Linux users. (Us)
 
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
theKbStockpiler
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Central New York
Distribution: Fedora14,Scientific 6.1?, Mandriva 2010 ;GO MAGEIA!!!Next up Gentoo
Posts: 828

Rep: Reputation: 51
Nothing brings the ferris wheel at the Dog and Pony Show to a halt like a LT rant.



I don't think Torvalds vulgarity is because of his lack of a decent vocabulary or wanting to shock people into submission. There are situations that you will not compromise from if you don't have a price tag on your soul. I would bet that he feels insulted quite often. It's because of his personality that Linux exists. I doubt there are many children reading the Linux Kernel message boards to keep track of the direction it's development is going ,and getting a vocabulary lesson from a O.S developer.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #36
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Sitting in front of my computer.
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,132
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler View Post
I don't think Torvalds vulgarity is because of ... wanting to shock people into submission.
Or more likely, it is indeed the objective.

Quote:
I doubt there are many children reading the Linux Kernel message boards to keep track of the direction it's development is going ,and getting a vocabulary lesson from a O.S developer.
That is completely irrelevant. Adults only need to communicate in a civilised manner when children are not around? We were obviously raised in different environments. In my previous post I referred to the image one projects with language.
Quote:
it is difficult to appear professional, educated or cultured if one is flinging profanity around
The meaning is simply that freely using profanity will usually make a person appear uneducated, uncultured or obnoxious. Any single one or in various combinations. It is easy for a speaker or writer to loose support by using improper methods of expression, and reduce the impact of a good argument in the process. The higher one's status, the more important bearing and decorum are. If you do not believe me, walk into a business meeting and let the expletives flow. How well received do you think you would be? If one wants to be a leader, one must act like a leader. That applies to Linus Torvalds as equally as it applies to everyone else.

Last edited by Randicus Draco Albus; 03-05-2013 at 02:39 AM.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,969
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soderlund View Post
I think a brief history lesson is appropriate
Really? I think you need a few not so brief history lessons.
Some vikings didn't have much luck on their rape & pillage tours:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridgewa...ing_burial_pit
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9035...rcenaries.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-enemies.html

Last edited by brianL; 03-05-2013 at 08:13 AM.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soderlund View Post
The reason for why Linus Torvalds will always piss off Brits and Americans is that he is a viking. His sometimes barbarian behavior is because of the viking blood in him.
A highly entertaining post I must say.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
Soderlund
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 111

Rep: Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Really? I think you need a few not so brief history lessons.
Some vikings didn't have much luck on their rape & pillage tours:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridgewa...ing_burial_pit
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9035...rcenaries.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-enemies.html
I suppose you would have gone extinct if you hadn't stopped turning the other cheek!

Quote:
Viking burial pit had filed his teeth to look more ferocious in battle. The pain without anaesthetic would have been excruciating - but it would have proved his status as a great warrior, archaeologists said.

...

Many of the executed men had been decapitated and suffered multiple wounds inflicted by a sharp blade, including one skeleton with six cut marks to the back of the neck, possibly because his captors had tried over and over again to hack off his head.
You see, we are hard as steel. Linus' hird is no different.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #40
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,969
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I will give the vikings credit for one thing: they were good at killing unarmed monks.
Swedish vikings mostly went east, to Russia. In the NW of England, if any of us have viking ancestry, it's Norwegian. Oldham == Alda's home.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #41
linuxpokernut
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 237
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 59
Linus can say whatever he wants however he wants to. There is nothing that can be said that can appease every person and there is no reason to attempt doing so.

It is not professional to use profanity, so it does make you look unprofessional when you use it in the workplace.

If you think it makes one look uneducated by simply using profanity, you are the one who is uneducated. A well written point or counterpoint lacking fallacy compared to typical internet rhetoric is not sub par because it contains profanity.

I guess Mark Twain was uneducated if not.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,193

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler View Post
Some people only relate to obscenities so they have to be used to have a discussion with them. I don't think as a whole that a lot of people mature past the goals of their genitalia anyways so it's the language you must use. I have no doubt that the people Torvalds has to deal with are accurately described as @$#*%ed in the head. I don't see why Torvalds should have to go along with the Dog and Pony Shows that the majority of us have to toe the line with to keep our lousy rolls in society.
Err... I guess that makes me a monkey who didn't mature past "the goals of their genitalia" because I'm "@$#*%ed in the head" as well.
No problem with that.

Just one question.
Could you post your code (that is obviously better and doesn't need Microsoft, even though the LF loader is using their evil key-base as well) to close this topic once and for all?

I'm out of ideas.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #43
comet.berkeley
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
...
Next time, though, I will be doing my homework throroughly to ensure that whatever I buy doesn't have "secure boot" or anything remotely resembling it...
From reading Linus' thoughts on UEFI, I don't think he is against the "secure boot".

http://www.zdnet.com/torvalds-clarif...on-7000011918/

He just wants users to be able to sign their own modules and then put their own keys in the PC BIOS.

And he seems to not trust Microsoft to be the key authority.

But I don't know why... Doesn't Microsoft have a sterling reputation for handling keys?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02...r_happen_ever/

Last edited by comet.berkeley; 03-06-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
 
  


Reply

Tags
fud, kernel, linus, microsoft, red hat, uefi, uefi-monkeys


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Linus on Linux: The Linus Torvalds Interview Part 2 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-27-2009 01:00 PM
LXer: Linus on Linux: The Linus Torvalds Interview Part 1 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-23-2009 03:10 PM
Linus Torvalds rakris General 1 11-14-2006 02:07 AM
Linus Torvalds linuxzouk General 7 05-16-2004 10:17 PM
Linus Torvalds log General 7 02-13-2003 08:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration