I was wondering why my keyboard freezes after upgrade to new kernel (2.6.23 -> 2.6.24). So I started to search the cause. It happened after gkrellm started up in X.
And it kept happening regardless of what Linux I was using (Debian Lenny/Fedora9).
It was pretty hard to find some answer on net so I decided to show you solution I found.
Just for information I have laptop keyboard (Acer TravelMate 4501LCI). It might not happen with other keyboard...
The root of this problem is in modules. Most likely some new module or build in module is added in new kernel that tries to take control over the keyboard while other module is handling it already.
Let's cut to the chase:
- "sbs" is the module I had problems with so let's find what's yours .. it would be something simmilar
- after this try disabling it
- now start gkrellm or whatever was causing your keyboard lockup and see if removing the module hellped
- if yes, add the module to your module banlist to prevent it from loading at system start (in debian do this)
# echo "blacklist sbs" /etc/modprobe.d/sbs
- if no, try another keyboard module