LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/)
-   -   I've run out of space and don't know what to do. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/ive-run-out-of-space-and-dont-know-what-to-do-106429/)

BongFish 10-20-2003 04:05 PM

I've run out of space and don't know what to do.
 
I have a 20GB hard drive and have a dual boot with XP, slack 9.1 and have 12GB of music!!

Obviously I need a new hard drive but I can't afford one at the moment.

My Slack partitions are as follows:

100MB for /home
1.6GB for /
600MB swap

I got to the point where there was 70kb space left on / and applications just refused to load, the only way I could get anything done was to delete all my doc files to create some space.

Basicaly what I want to know is how to remove the whole KDE package to create some space and is there a way to remove some space from my NTFS windows partition and wop it onto my Slackware ReiserFS partition.


Thanks very much for any help, I'll get a new HD ASAP!

trickykid 10-20-2003 04:07 PM

Why not make a smaller swap partition.. say 100 megs which should be adequate enough and start off by removing any temp files in /tmp and clearing any log files in /var/log that have grown to tremendous sizes..

Then go and remove any packages you don't use or need.. and so on. :)

Kurt M. Weber 10-20-2003 04:23 PM

You'll almost never need a swap partition bigger than 256 megs...in fact, frankly, you don't want it to. Swapping pages in and out of virtual memory is SLOW, and the more you can keep in physical memory, the better.

If you're worried about running out of RAM, go out and buy some. Don't use swap space as a substitute for physical memory--you'll be very bored.

J.W. 10-20-2003 05:02 PM

Another option: I'm guessing that you've saved your music in wav files; if so, maybe you could convert them to mp3 format. I'll admit that I don't typically use mp3's, however, I do know that a given song in wav format takes up a lot more space than the same file in mp3 format. This may be more trouble than it's worth, but it might be an option. -- J.W.

trickykid 10-20-2003 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by J.W.
Another option: I'm guessing that you've saved your music in wav files; if so, maybe you could convert them to mp3 format. I'll admit that I don't typically use mp3's, however, I do know that a given song in wav format takes up a lot more space than the same file in mp3 format. This may be more trouble than it's worth, but it might be an option. -- J.W.
If you noticed in his post he said he has 12 gigs of mp3's but only his /home is 100 megs, / is 1.6 gigs and swap is 600 megs..

With that, you should presume that his 12 gigs of music are on his Windows XP partition using up the rest of his 20 gig drive...

Kurt M. Weber 10-20-2003 05:36 PM

No, he just said "12 gigs of music".

trickykid 10-20-2003 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt M. Weber
No, he just said "12 gigs of music".
Haha.. you should truly read before posting..

Quote:

Originally posted by BongFish
My Slack partitions are as follows:

100MB for /home
1.6GB for /
600MB swap
Okay, let me explain this again.. he has a 20 gig partition with XP and Slackware installed..

He has a 100meg /home
600 meg swap and a
1.6 gb /

All other directories would fall under the / partition.. you tell me how he has 12 gigs of music on any of his Linux partitions... ??

J.W. 10-20-2003 07:37 PM

trickykid - well, you are correct that the 12G of music would need to be on the XP side given the numbers that BongFish provided, but even so, I thought that my suggestion would still be valid in the sense that by converting the format of the files, maybe BongFish could reduce the 12G down to maybe 4G or so, which would then permit him/her to resize XP and free up more space for Linux. As I attempted to indicate in my note, whether or not this would be worth the trouble is debatable, but it would be (I think) a possible option to consider. (Of course, if the "12GB of music" is already in mp3 format then the point is moot.) -- J.W.

trickykid 10-20-2003 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by J.W.
trickykid - well, you are correct that the 12G of music would need to be on the XP side given the numbers that BongFish provided, but even so, I thought that my suggestion would still be valid in the sense that by converting the format of the files, maybe BongFish could reduce the 12G down to maybe 4G or so, which would then permit him/her to resize XP and free up more space for Linux. As I attempted to indicate in my note, whether or not this would be worth the trouble is debatable, but it would be (I think) a possible option to consider. (Of course, if the "12GB of music" is already in mp3 format then the point is moot.) -- J.W.
You were correct on your part about saving space converting wav's to mp3's, no problems there that I see.

Regards.

BongFish 10-21-2003 04:44 AM

My MP3's aren't in WAV format, they're in MP3 format, there's nothing I can do to remove the size of them and I'm not prepared to remove any of them.

By the way I have a 12GB FAT32 partition for music and a 7GB NTFS XP partition (I have serveral large apps that need lots of space).

I had read that a swap partition should always be about 1GB! I have 512MB RAM and I rarely use memory intensive programs so I'll be okay.

I know how to delete and resize my swap partition (after unmounting it!) but I'm not sure how I can add this extra space onto my / directory.

My system's only been up a few days so there'll be very little in the temp and messages directories however I think I'll be able to remove some space by removing some of KDE (I decided it would be a bad idea to remove it totaly because of dependancies and the libraries it has which so many programs use. There aren't a great deal of packages on my system which I don't use but hopefully reducing the size of my swap partition should give me space to have a useable system. I don't need bags of space, I already have 98% of everything I'm ever going to use installed and all my downlods go into my XP directories.

So basically all I need to know is how to add size on to an existing ReiserFS file system.

Thanks!

:edit:
I've downloaded a tool called resize_reiserfs (guess what it does) to my pendrive (I'm at college at the moment) and I'll try it when I get home.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new HD next month (or I'll ask for one for christmas!), looks like saving up for an iPod's going to have to be put on hold... :-(

jayakrishnan 10-21-2003 05:27 AM

Only way out is deleting some of those MP3 files

ashjam10 10-21-2003 06:15 AM

Hey Bongfish, check out www.ebuyer.com for hard disks, you can get a 120GB Maxtor drive for less than 80. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, you can get a 40GB Excelstor drive for about 40. It's not worth going smaller than that as the price doesn't drop much.

yapp 10-21-2003 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BongFish
I had read that a swap partition should always be about 1GB! I have 512MB RAM and I rarely use memory intensive programs so I'll be okay.

I know how to delete and resize my swap partition (after unmounting it!) but I'm not sure how I can add this extra space onto my / directory.

I'm curious where you've read that. I have 512 MB of main memory too, and my swap space it usually not used at all. In fact, the remaining 300MB of free memory are being used as disk cache :p To see this yourself, open the kde info center, or type:
Code:

free -tm
If you turnoff the swap, you should be able to re-create the swap partition:
Code:

swapoff -a
cfdisk    **1
mkswap -c /dev/hd..
swapon -a

*1: delete the swap paritition, and re-create it at the end of the disk.
Perhaps you need to update /etc/fstab before you can turn the spam back on again. If you don't know what hd.. is, you can look for this in /etc/fstab too.

Then, you can return to single-user mode, remount your / partition read-only, and resize your / partition:
Code:

telinit 1
mount / -o remount,ro
cfdisk    **2

*2: re-create the partition at the same starting point. (ie. just make sure there is no free space before the partition), and try to make it as large as possible.
Perhaps you need to reboot again. (just type "reboot" for this) because the file system is still at the same place, and the partitiion boundaries too, this shouldn't give any problems ;)

Resize the filesystem to the maximal (new) partition size: (again in single user mode; telinit 1)
Code:

mount / -o remount,ro
e2fsck -f /dev/hd..
resize2fs /dev/hd...
mount / -o remount,rw

Return to multi-user mode, or the graphical login: type "telinit .." The runlevel is usually 5, but can also be 4 or 5. Type "runlevel" to find the previous runlevel of your system, and you're back online :D

BongFish 10-21-2003 11:40 AM

Cheers, problem solved.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.