issues building 18.104.22.168 kernel with SMP
I am running slackware 11 on a dell inspiron 1505 with an intel core duo 1.6 processor and i have been trying to compile a new 22.214.171.124 kernel with SMP to utilize both cores but after i have it compiled and i boot from it in lilo my system will not load up, it generates no error message but the caps lock and scroll lock lights flash off and on (which i presume to be some kind of kernel panic?)
here are the steps i took
downloaded kernel source from kernel.org
unloaded it in /usr/src/linux2.6/
mv /boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz.old
cat arch/i386/boot/bzImage > /vmlinuz
mv /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.old
cp System.map /boot/System.map
/sbin/lilo (lilo correctly loads the new image)
but when i load from the new lilo entry with SMP it locks up
do you want my .config file?
i assume it is some problem that i built in when i used menuconfig? help i need both cores!
You are using 2.4 kernel building commands
For 2.6 use it this way.
Run these first if needed. Usually not.
* make mrproper ( only needed if kernel has been built before and wish to return to default)
* make oldconfig ( to create a config file based on current setup )
Use any one of the following.
* make menuconfig ( kernel editor )
* make xconfig ( differnet kernel editor )
* make gconfig ( another differnet kernel editor )
Build kernel and modules
* make ( builds kernel image and modules )
* make modules_install ( installs modules in /lib/modules/`uname -r` )
* make install ( copies the kernel image to boot, build system.map, make initrd file, and add to grub boot manager )
I don't know if it will affect you, but I have to use a NON SMP kernel on my E1705. My wireless NIC encounters IRQ conflicts and the kernel will disable the IRQ, as soon as my wireless, or wired NIC uses the second CPU for anything.
Other then my wireless issues, the SMP kernel runs great, but so does the 486 kernel and it has no issues with IRQ conflicts.
hmm, i tried brian1's method but i acheived the same results, and it actually appears to have messed up my backup non-smp image, anyone have any other ideas?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.|