LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Ronayn
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 55

Rep: Reputation: 0
Installing Fedora 6 from a USB thumb drive


Hello,

I've been trying to install Fedora 6 (x86_64) from a USB thumb drive without success for two weeks now. I'd like to know if its even possible to do -- and if so, how can it be done?

I've been hitting the web these past two weeks a lot, but there never seemed to be concrete answers to whether its possbile (plenty of suggestions though -- but none seem to work out).

Really what I am looking to do is create installation media with a specific kickstart file and directory containing a number of install scripts (to be invoked by kickstart) along with a bunch of tar files. I am trying to make setting up a group of servers as painless as possible, but so far no luck

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,767

Rep: Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronayn View Post
Hello,

I've been trying to install Fedora 6 (x86_64) from a USB thumb drive without success for two weeks now. I'd like to know if its even possible to do -- and if so, how can it be done?

I've been hitting the web these past two weeks a lot, but there never seemed to be concrete answers to whether its possbile (plenty of suggestions though -- but none seem to work out).

Really what I am looking to do is create installation media with a specific kickstart file and directory containing a number of install scripts (to be invoked by kickstart) along with a bunch of tar files. I am trying to make setting up a group of servers as painless as possible, but so far no luck

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
The best advice I can offer, would be to install something current. The latest Fedora is 11....6 is ancient, and is probably the cause of alot of your issues.

Kickstart is definitely the way to go, for setting up a bunch of server, but I'd just go ahead and dedicate a box on your network to the task. Dealing with USB keys, different hardware (which needs different kernel modules), etc., is more trouble than it's worth. Let PXE boot handle things for you.....
 
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
John VV
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,051

Rep: Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740
i would try installing FEdora 11 .Fedora 6 is old enough that it might not be able to install on a NEW computer .
There are also NO updates or SOFTWARE to install on fedora 6
 
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Ronayn
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
The best advice I can offer, would be to install something current. The latest Fedora is 11....6 is ancient, and is probably the cause of alot of your issues.

Kickstart is definitely the way to go, for setting up a bunch of server, but I'd just go ahead and dedicate a box on your network to the task. Dealing with USB keys, different hardware (which needs different kernel modules), etc., is more trouble than it's worth. Let PXE boot handle things for you.....

Thanks to both of you for your input. I wish I could use Fedora 11. Unfortunately, the software I need to run (in-house) was designed under RH8 -- I had problems just porting it to FC6! I am not sure I could get it to run at all on a more recent OS version (because our apps use an ancient QT, QWT, and MPI).

That being said, I am majorly bummed about the problems I am having with kickstart under FC6. I did a manual install from DVD to one machine, and want to basically clone that system to the others. However, the kickstart file seems to missing the custom partition information and all the additional package I added while doing the graphical install.

My frustration level is peaking I dont suppose you can recommend any good books/docs that really go into depth about kickstart installations?
 
Old 08-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,767

Rep: Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613Reputation: 2613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronayn View Post
Thanks to both of you for your input. I wish I could use Fedora 11. Unfortunately, the software I need to run (in-house) was designed under RH8 -- I had problems just porting it to FC6! I am not sure I could get it to run at all on a more recent OS version (because our apps use an ancient QT, QWT, and MPI).

That being said, I am majorly bummed about the problems I am having with kickstart under FC6. I did a manual install from DVD to one machine, and want to basically clone that system to the others. However, the kickstart file seems to missing the custom partition information and all the additional package I added while doing the graphical install.

My frustration level is peaking I dont suppose you can recommend any good books/docs that really go into depth about kickstart installations?
No, not off hand. But there are great docs in the RedHat knowledgebase, though...worth a search.

And I understand about your software, but in my opinion, it's not worth keeping very old tech around, just to support an app that isn't current. It's far better to spend the time to update the app to run on current tech, than to risk all the security issues that come up with an old server/software.
 
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
yewcheong
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1
I believe this is a good tool,
https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

I'm using this myself, tried creating for Fedora 6, and I'm able to boot it.
Just use "browse" and select ur image. It will create the boot image on ur USB, and extract the iso.
But after doing that, u still can't really use it yet. You will need to copy the actual iso to your USB drive.
This means you should delete the extracted fedora folder and put the iso in.

For me, I did not delete the fedora folder, as my USB is 8GB. I just put in the iso image. After booting up using the USB,
I choose Harddrive and sdb when they ask me for the image location.

Though this reply seems quite late, I hope to help others still searching for the answer. Cheers!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
fedora, fedora 6, install, usb


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a usb thumb drive or flash drive as a swap partition. stevenjoseph Linux - Hardware 8 01-16-2012 12:09 PM
Trouble Installing Fedora 8 onto USB thumb drive ed_homeLinux Linux - General 6 12-17-2007 10:45 PM
installing fedora off of a thumb drive Wes527 Linux - Software 1 03-15-2007 12:03 PM
USB drive using different partitions (usb key thumb drive) Arodef Linux - Hardware 0 08-04-2004 06:36 PM
USB thumb drive works great, but I still can't get my USB mouse to work. blk96gt Slackware 8 06-22-2004 01:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration