Hello all, I have a Compaq CQ60 (206-US) and I have had many issues regarding the sata cd-rom in this laptop as well.
I have tried several options and several distro's. I did manage to get 2 different Linux distributions to install.
- Mandriva (2008, 2008.1, 2009,2009.1) - never got past sata issue
- CentOS (5.3) - Installed using "pci=nomsi nomce" on grub kernel line
- PCBSD (7.0, 7.1) - never got past sata issue
- Ubuntu (9.04) - Installed right out of the box, flawless!
- Kubuntu (9.04) - Installed right out of the box, flawless!
* I count ubuntu and kubuntu as the same distro since the only difference is the desktop (Gnome/KDE). Hence CentOS and (k)ubuntu count as 2. Also, since CentOS is a free clone of Red Hat (RH), I am positive RH would install as well using the same steps as CentOS. I also believe that RH would/should be counted as the same distro as CentOS due to the fact that they have the same exact files, libs, kernel, etc with the exception of logos and themes. CentOS just recompiles the RH source and includes their logos.
----------- CentOS 5.3 Install Steps -----------
The first distro that I got installed was a surprise... CentOS 5.3!
CentOS is more of a server distro and has way less *new* hardware support (less bleading edge software/drivers for stability).
For CentOS I had to add "pci=nomsi" to get the sata driver loaded properly, next I got the infamous "Machine Check Error" or "mce" followed by a kernel panic. The trick to fix that was also add "nomce" after my "pci=nomsi" on the grub kernel line.
This allowed me to install, however the nforce ethernet as well as the atheros 5007 wireless card failed to get detected and did not work. The sound worked and was detected but was real scratchy.
I had to download a kmod-forcedeth driver rpm from a third party site, and also the mad-wifi source from third party site and compile it.
The sound never got fully worked out until I downloaded and compiled the latest alsa.
After all that, since it was a server distro... little or no multi-media support.
NEXT OS PLEASE lol.
----------- (k)ubuntu 9.04 Install Steps -----------
Thankfully Ubuntu 9.04 as well as Kubuntu 9.04 worked right out of the box for all my hardware!