LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/)
-   -   How to list gmail emails in box, with pop or imap (no delete on server), secured way? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/how-to-list-gmail-emails-in-box-with-pop-or-imap-no-delete-on-server-secured-way-590589/)

frenchn00b 10-09-2007 01:51 PM

How to list gmail emails in box, with pop or imap (no delete on server), secured way?
 
Just wanna check the emails, secured, and then play a sound or read it with festival.

Thanks !!

Su-Shee 10-09-2007 02:18 PM

Set the appropriate parameter in the program you use to poll the POP3 and/or IMAP server; most of them have a "no delete" parameter.

frenchn00b 10-09-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-Shee (Post 2918716)
Set the appropriate parameter in the program you use to poll the POP3 and/or IMAP server; most of them have a "no delete" parameter.

sounds cool; which console program would you recommand to use to read via IMAP the emails ? thanks for hte info

Su-Shee 10-09-2007 02:57 PM

Just to look if something is there? Probably fetchmail. Supports both IMAP and POP.

You'd possibly even just hack a short shell script or perl script to do the task, because if you setup a LIST command via telnet, you'll get your list of mails without deleting. Deleting is another command.

Usally, I use IMAP from within a real mail client where I prefer text-based mutt, but of course thunderbird will do either.

frenchn00b 10-09-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-Shee (Post 2918760)
Just to look if something is there? Probably fetchmail. Supports both IMAP and POP.

You'd possibly even just hack a short shell script or perl script to do the task, because if you setup a LIST command via telnet, you'll get your list of mails without deleting. Deleting is another command.

Usally, I use IMAP from within a real mail client where I prefer text-based mutt, but of course thunderbird will do either.

Thanks
I'd now have to look how to fetchmail the gmail accounts with imap; I mean how to configure that stuffs ports ...

(Mutt is nice alternative, but still difficult to confgure.. like mutt reading or list sthg)

For avoiding that, I run a hack gmail-notify that is in perl with output to dev null with addons lines, but that problem : I was not satisfied. I prefer that a pro would modify or release an "official" gmail-notify-shell stuff.

Thanks (and greetings to you, abroad ) !!

Su-Shee 10-09-2007 03:52 PM

I thought Gmail only supports POP3?

And mutt is easy, really - just four lines to enable IMAP:

set spoolfile="{YOURSERVER.EU:993}INBOX" # don't move stuff anywhere
set folder="{YOURSERVER.EU:993/}INBOX" # another don't move stuff anywhere
set imap_user="YOURUSERNAME"
set imap_pass="YOURPASS"
set imap_authenticators="login"
set imap_servernoise
set imap_force_ssl

Well, ok 7. ;)

"man muttrc" is easy to understand.

You can hook on different accounts different actions.

And gmail notify is probably THAT simple that nearly everyone just hacks it in two or three lines to make it work - check one of the hundreds of web-applets notifying about gmail mail, I can't imagine that this is difficult.

Google for "gmail desklets" - there're even several desklets which support this.

frenchn00b 10-09-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-Shee (Post 2918821)
I thought Gmail only supports POP3?

And mutt is easy, really - just four lines to enable IMAP:

set spoolfile="{YOURSERVER.EU:993}INBOX" # don't move stuff anywhere
set folder="{YOURSERVER.EU:993/}INBOX" # another don't move stuff anywhere
set imap_user="YOURUSERNAME"
set imap_pass="YOURPASS"
set imap_authenticators="login"
set imap_servernoise
set imap_force_ssl

Well, ok 7. ;)

"man muttrc" is easy to understand.

You can hook on different accounts different actions.

And gmail notify is probably THAT simple that nearly everyone just hacks it in two or three lines to make it work - check one of the hundreds of web-applets notifying about gmail mail, I can't imagine that this is difficult.

Google for "gmail desklets" - there're even several desklets which support this.

something like this (?)
cat .muttrc
Code:

set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/nbsmtp"
unset use_from

set spoolfile="{YOURSERVER.EU:993}INBOX" # don't move stuff anywhere
set folder="{YOURSERVER.EU:993/}INBOX" # another don't move stuff anywhere
set imap_user="MYLOGINXXXXX@gmail.com"
set imap_pass="MYPASSWORDXXXXXX"
set imap_authenticators="login"
set imap_servernoise
set imap_force_ssl

for gmail, but I get this:
Code:

$ .muttrc, line 10: imap_force_ssl: unknown variable
source: errors in /root/.muttrc
Press any key to continue...


Su-Shee 10-10-2007 04:59 AM

It seems, your mutt doesn't support IMAP SSL.

Change the IMAP port to 143 and comment out the critized option.

And please don't do all this as root, mutt works perfectly fine with ordinary user permissions. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.