LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
gsal
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0

Say, Deviathan...how exactly did you setup Xming and PuTTY? I learned about Xming over the weekend and read up on it. I have been able to connect and launch X applications and even set it with PuTTY to connect securely (placed my private key here and the public over there...)

I am only interested in connecting securely and so far I have not figured out if there is a way to connect securely and also be able to get a whole KDE window manager (you know, as if I had done unsecure XDMCP mode); at this point, when I connect securely, I can only launch one application at a time.

You know what I mean? Do you have a tip for me?

Last edited by gsal; 07-06-2006 at 09:43 AM.
 
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
dougnc
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 236

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrouf
Is it not?
Maybe because a lot of people just joined the linux world recently from Windows and are used to slow and inefficient VNC?
You don't even need ssh BTW.
just set the DISPLAY environment variable. ssh is if you want a secure and encrypted connection. You don't need that locally.

$ export DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0.0
$ xclock

xclock will be displayed on machine 192.168.0.3 on desktop 0 and not on localhost. Simple and efficient, X was designed from start to run on a remote computer.
When I try this I get:

Xlib: connection to "10.3.1.123:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
 
Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
humbletech99
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Posts: 374

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
you obviously haven't done xhost on the server and that's why it's refusing your connection

xhost +<remotehostname>
 
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #19
Tonatiuh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Excuse my newbie status.

I am trying to do what you are discussing here without success.

My Windows XP Machine: 172.16.18.22
My remote RHEL4 Linux server: 172.16.18.29

I am connected triugh a SSH client (Secure CRT) from Windos to Linux.

I have executed:

Code:
# export DISPLAY=172.16.18.22:0.0
# xclock
Error: Can't open display: 172.16.18.22:0.0
And then:
Code:
# xhost +172.16.18.29
xhost:  unable to open display "172.16.18.22:0.0"
Can anyone help me?
 
Old 08-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #20
cygnus-x1
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Crisfield
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, RedHat
Posts: 159

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sorry there fella ... WindBlows doth NOT an X Server make. If you want to run xclock on a windowxs machine you will need to install an xserver. I remember back in the mid 90's Xceed (sp) was very popular and I used it alot. You can get an X Server for windows like has been described in earlier posts.

BUT ... For the rest of the folks ... I guess my main question is WHY do you need a WindBlows like interface into Linux? EVERYTHING is available on the command line and the command line is always more stable than the GUI wrappers that are placed around the commands. I admit I am a command line junkie and I suffered through the windows to linux transition many many years ago. Back then all the gui tools crashed often or hung which forced you to use the command line. It is advantageous for you to learn to embrace the command line. It is your only friend sometimes when you have to fix a major problem or when the video card or config is corrupted.

If I am on a windows machine and I need to access Linux I use SSH and WinSCP. Thats all I ever need.


ok ... I am off my soapbox
 
Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #21
timothyb89
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado, USA
Distribution: openSuSE 11.4
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnc
I got X-Cygwin running, it's very amazing. KDE from my SuSE server on my 17 inch notebook display! It was a bit slower than the console, still I ran Java Studio Creator fine.

You have to go to x.cygwin.com, run their setup program, then copy all the dll's from cygwin/bin to cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin.

the command is xwin -query linuxhost -fullscreen.
The new version of Cygwin actually doesn't need that if you install ALL of the X11 files. It even comes with Xclock and xterm finally works. It used to tell you "Could notconnect to display"
The new version of Cygwin is pretty nice, though. I actually run KDE, Xfce4, and GNOME in cygwin.

I'm just wondering. How did you get Xdmcp working? I've tried in almost every main distro, and I've never gotteen it to work.

Last edited by timothyb89; 08-16-2006 at 08:38 PM.
 
Old 08-17-2006, 04:30 AM   #22
humbletech99
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Posts: 374

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
i found xdmcp a tad intimidating but when I tried it it's like 10 minutes to get it working from scratch. just go into gdm's config and enable it at both ends then press F10 at login and you can get to log into a remote host. It may not auto find it and you may have to input the ip manually in the network search interface but that's about all there is to it. Then you log on a get a terminal server style session. easy.
 
Old 08-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
gsal
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
remote desktop

Since my first post a little over a month ago, I have learned a lot about this topic...I mean, talk about going from knowing nothing, to being able to do VNC and FreeNX connections to Linux hosts. In particular, I am actually very excited about FreeNX, more about that later on.
Anyway, since I got a notice about activity in this forum, I came back to take a look and read through all the messages. I see people mentioning Exceed once and FreeNX once, a little about VNC (I don't know why that guy does not like it) and cygwin. Oh yes, and Xming.
In the last several weeks, I have experimented with all of them, so, for what is worth, I would like to summarize what I have experienced. Hope this is useful and would help somebody make up his/her mind about which way to go.

Exceed.-

At work, I had been using Exceed happily for over a year (did not know better), until they started to implement some security scans that attempt to hack into my X connection to the host; at times, the hack would cause my Exceed session to crash altogether and I would loose my session and all un-saved work. So, obviously, my connection was not secured, if security was able to intrude. At this point, I started to look for alternate ways to get to my Linux host.
So,
- Exceed costs money.
- I don't think my Exceed connection was secured, I mean, how else can you get a whole graphical (KDE) login screen without typing a single password first?
- You need to pay extra for the Hummingbird Security Pack.
- You need to pay extra for the 3D package (that's right, Exceed cannot handle 3D objects out of the box...they show up fine statically, but turns them into wireframe for dynamic manipulation)

cygwin.-

I don't use cygwin, after all, I need to do my job in a real Linux machine at work. But keep in mind, that even if you use the X-server capabilities of cygwin, you will always be depending on cygwin1.dll, which may slow you down a bit.

Xming.-
Xming, on the other hand, is pretty much the same X server as in cygwin, but it has been compiled using MinGW, which converts it into a MS-Windows native program, i.e., it does not depend on cygwin1.dll anymore, hence, it is a little faster.
In my case, Xming cannot handle the entire KDE from home, but it is fine for launching one graphical application at a time, which is fine for many of us command-line oriented people.
To be secured, I use PuTTY with ssh and X11-forwarding so that the security hacks don't bother me at work...if your host is also at home, you may not have to bother with this.

VNC.-

VNC blows Exceed away, hands down, and Xming. It is easy to setup, even securely to avoid security scans.
First, you need to make sure that you have vncserver installed in the Linux host, then you can just type vncserver to get started. If I recalled correctly, the first time around it will ask for a session password (this is not your linux password, this is for connecting to your vnc session, you or anybody else should you want to share your desktop for teleconferencing purposes, etc.) for your session and a port to run it in; it will also create a .vnc directory in your home directory...you'd better go there and edit the file xstartup to start the windows manager of your choice; mine looks like this


--------- xstartup - BEGIN ----
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
#unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#twm &
gnome-session &
--------- xstartup.sh - END ----



To get it started whenever I want, I have also created the following file in my ~/local/bin and called it vnc.sh



--------- vnc.sh - BEGIN ----
#!/bin/sh
vncserver :2 -geometry 1580x1100 -depth 24 2> /dev/null
--------- vnc.sh - END ----


And, if you own your own machine, you can set it up so that this command gets run even after a reboot so that the session is waiting there for you to connect; otherwise, you can setup PuTTY commands using plink.exe to start and end vncserver remotely.

Now, on the PC side, you need to download TightVNC and launch it to connect to the host and the one port where the vnc session is running.

And that is it if you are not interested in connecting securely. If you are interested in connecting securely, then you need to first created an ssh tunnel using putty and then connect TightVNC to the localhost and port :2, for example, if that is the port you decided to tunnel to the vnc session.

VNC:
- it is free
- allows whole KDE/GNOME sessions.
- much faster than Exceed
- you don't log out, just disconnect and turn your pc off, if you want; then, the next time around that you connect, everything is just as you left it...I like this feature the most!
- allows you to share your desktop with other user for teleconferencing, for example.
- can be setup securely with PuTTY and tunneling.
- to end session: "vncserver kill :2"

FreeNX/NX.-

FreeNX is the best of them all.

For connections within the same building, FreeNX is so fast that using it is almost like seating in front of the actual Linux host. As you know, Linux uses the X protocol for display purposes; FreeNX uses X protocol for communication purposes as well, this means that nothing gets lost in the "translation", plus, they have developed great compression schemes. Because FreeNX does not seem to have all sharing features as VNC, some people stick to VNC but channel it through FreeNX to gain as much as 10X in speed.

FreeNX/NX
- FreeNX is free
- The fastest thing
- It is always secured since it always runs through ssh.
- Reproduces even 3D shaded objects with no problem, even dynamic manipulation like zooming and rotation, etc.
- Requires root for installation.
- Depending in you Linux platform, the installation instructions may or may not be trivial.
- Can be setup to get through firewalls and control desktop anywhere from anywhere.
- There is no process running until you actually try to connect via ssh, which then launches nxserver for you.
- On the client side, all you need is to download the NX Free Edition from NoMachine.

Because this is already getting too long, I am just going to leave you with a few links regarding FreeNX/NX, instead. You may also want to visit NoMachine's home page.
  • Free NX How To, for Linux: www dot gnomeuser dot org/documents/howto/nx.html
FreeNX Installation Instructions
  • Linux/Unix : fedoranews dot org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/freenx.txt
  • Ubuntu : www dot linux dot com/article.pl?sid=06/05/05/1718238

And there you have it.

G.Salazar
 
Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 AM   #24
dougnc
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 236

Rep: Reputation: 31
Thanks gsal! I'm going to try Freenx!

Xming seems to run the whole KDE for me, but it is a bit slow.
 
Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #25
gsal
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
FreeNX

You are welcome. Come back and post your feedback, it may motivate even more people to this fine solution.
 
Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
williej
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Wehr
Distribution: openSUSE
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
want to use exceed to access my remote linux computer

Hello gsal,

I have just installed exceed on my windows computer (laptop) and i want to use it to launch say xterm for accessing my remote linux computer. Can you help me on how to go about this task.

Can i use the "Tools" menu under "My Computer" to Map a new network drive? and do i have to install another application on my remote linux machine?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy






Quote:
Originally Posted by gsal View Post
Since my first post a little over a month ago, I have learned a lot about this topic...I mean, talk about going from knowing nothing, to being able to do VNC and FreeNX connections to Linux hosts. In particular, I am actually very excited about FreeNX, more about that later on.
Anyway, since I got a notice about activity in this forum, I came back to take a look and read through all the messages. I see people mentioning Exceed once and FreeNX once, a little about VNC (I don't know why that guy does not like it) and cygwin. Oh yes, and Xming.
In the last several weeks, I have experimented with all of them, so, for what is worth, I would like to summarize what I have experienced. Hope this is useful and would help somebody make up his/her mind about which way to go.

Exceed.-

At work, I had been using Exceed happily for over a year (did not know better), until they started to implement some security scans that attempt to hack into my X connection to the host; at times, the hack would cause my Exceed session to crash altogether and I would loose my session and all un-saved work. So, obviously, my connection was not secured, if security was able to intrude. At this point, I started to look for alternate ways to get to my Linux host.
So,
- Exceed costs money.
- I don't think my Exceed connection was secured, I mean, how else can you get a whole graphical (KDE) login screen without typing a single password first?
- You need to pay extra for the Hummingbird Security Pack.
- You need to pay extra for the 3D package (that's right, Exceed cannot handle 3D objects out of the box...they show up fine statically, but turns them into wireframe for dynamic manipulation)

cygwin.-

I don't use cygwin, after all, I need to do my job in a real Linux machine at work. But keep in mind, that even if you use the X-server capabilities of cygwin, you will always be depending on cygwin1.dll, which may slow you down a bit.

Xming.-
Xming, on the other hand, is pretty much the same X server as in cygwin, but it has been compiled using MinGW, which converts it into a MS-Windows native program, i.e., it does not depend on cygwin1.dll anymore, hence, it is a little faster.
In my case, Xming cannot handle the entire KDE from home, but it is fine for launching one graphical application at a time, which is fine for many of us command-line oriented people.
To be secured, I use PuTTY with ssh and X11-forwarding so that the security hacks don't bother me at work...if your host is also at home, you may not have to bother with this.

VNC.-

VNC blows Exceed away, hands down, and Xming. It is easy to setup, even securely to avoid security scans.
First, you need to make sure that you have vncserver installed in the Linux host, then you can just type vncserver to get started. If I recalled correctly, the first time around it will ask for a session password (this is not your linux password, this is for connecting to your vnc session, you or anybody else should you want to share your desktop for teleconferencing purposes, etc.) for your session and a port to run it in; it will also create a .vnc directory in your home directory...you'd better go there and edit the file xstartup to start the windows manager of your choice; mine looks like this


--------- xstartup - BEGIN ----
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
#unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#twm &
gnome-session &
--------- xstartup.sh - END ----



To get it started whenever I want, I have also created the following file in my ~/local/bin and called it vnc.sh



--------- vnc.sh - BEGIN ----
#!/bin/sh
vncserver :2 -geometry 1580x1100 -depth 24 2> /dev/null
--------- vnc.sh - END ----


And, if you own your own machine, you can set it up so that this command gets run even after a reboot so that the session is waiting there for you to connect; otherwise, you can setup PuTTY commands using plink.exe to start and end vncserver remotely.

Now, on the PC side, you need to download TightVNC and launch it to connect to the host and the one port where the vnc session is running.

And that is it if you are not interested in connecting securely. If you are interested in connecting securely, then you need to first created an ssh tunnel using putty and then connect TightVNC to the localhost and port :2, for example, if that is the port you decided to tunnel to the vnc session.

VNC:
- it is free
- allows whole KDE/GNOME sessions.
- much faster than Exceed
- you don't log out, just disconnect and turn your pc off, if you want; then, the next time around that you connect, everything is just as you left it...I like this feature the most!
- allows you to share your desktop with other user for teleconferencing, for example.
- can be setup securely with PuTTY and tunneling.
- to end session: "vncserver kill :2"

FreeNX/NX.-

FreeNX is the best of them all.

For connections within the same building, FreeNX is so fast that using it is almost like seating in front of the actual Linux host. As you know, Linux uses the X protocol for display purposes; FreeNX uses X protocol for communication purposes as well, this means that nothing gets lost in the "translation", plus, they have developed great compression schemes. Because FreeNX does not seem to have all sharing features as VNC, some people stick to VNC but channel it through FreeNX to gain as much as 10X in speed.

FreeNX/NX
- FreeNX is free
- The fastest thing
- It is always secured since it always runs through ssh.
- Reproduces even 3D shaded objects with no problem, even dynamic manipulation like zooming and rotation, etc.
- Requires root for installation.
- Depending in you Linux platform, the installation instructions may or may not be trivial.
- Can be setup to get through firewalls and control desktop anywhere from anywhere.
- There is no process running until you actually try to connect via ssh, which then launches nxserver for you.
- On the client side, all you need is to download the NX Free Edition from NoMachine.

Because this is already getting too long, I am just going to leave you with a few links regarding FreeNX/NX, instead. You may also want to visit NoMachine's home page.
  • Free NX How To, for Linux: www dot gnomeuser dot org/documents/howto/nx.html
FreeNX Installation Instructions
  • Linux/Unix : fedoranews dot org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/freenx.txt
  • Ubuntu : www dot linux dot com/article.pl?sid=06/05/05/1718238

And there you have it.

G.Salazar
 
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #27
gsal
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exceed? or just PuTTY?

Well...if all you are going to do is use an xterm, why not just use PuTTY?

To use PuTTY:
Linux Machine: Make sure you have an ssh deamon running.
On the PC: Install PuTTY, launch, type name or IP address of Linux machine and off you go.

As far as Exceed goes, I really don't know if it actually needs anything on the Linux side...I don't think it does, but that is just a guess...also, I have not used it in over a year.

Where are you at with it? Are you able to launch? Error messages?
If nothing comes up when you launch, make sure you first launch the "Host File" editing tool and add there the one machine you want to connect too...then when you launch Exceed you will get a pop-up dialog to choose hosts with the content of the host file in there to choose from.

Also, if you have the on-line help, you may want to read on XStart...I seemed to recall that could be good for launching a single xterm.

Lastly, mapping a network drive has nothing to do with Exceed...this is more SAMBA stuff...do you have samba going on the Linux side? Have you setup a share?

gsal
 
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #28
williej
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Wehr
Distribution: openSUSE
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Dear gasl,

And thanks for the input.I have PuTTY and i am able to log onto my linux pc but i am not able to use ssh in the xterminal. Not sure why that is the case...i actually want access to the grahical user interface as well and so i thought exceed would do. I will try to get the ssh dameon on the linux pc to work and see whether that would solve the problem with the puTTY.

To exceed, when i launch, nothing is happening and so i tried adding my linux pc in the "Host File" but when i do, i am getting the following error message:

beginning connection process at ....
connecting to 134.130.......
connection refused to this port by host
unable to locate ip Host/Gateway

Maybe something must be done on the Linux side?

But i am not also having ssh included in exceed and so i do not know whether that could be a problem....it is using telnet to try to connect to my linux computer.

Any idea why ssh is not included with exceed? am I suppose to install it?

Thanks for assistance.

Jimmy


Quote:
Originally Posted by gsal View Post
Well...if all you are going to do is use an xterm, why not just use PuTTY?

To use PuTTY:
Linux Machine: Make sure you have an ssh deamon running.
On the PC: Install PuTTY, launch, type name or IP address of Linux machine and off you go.

As far as Exceed goes, I really don't know if it actually needs anything on the Linux side...I don't think it does, but that is just a guess...also, I have not used it in over a year.

Where are you at with it? Are you able to launch? Error messages?
If nothing comes up when you launch, make sure you first launch the "Host File" editing tool and add there the one machine you want to connect too...then when you launch Exceed you will get a pop-up dialog to choose hosts with the content of the host file in there to choose from.

Also, if you have the on-line help, you may want to read on XStart...I seemed to recall that could be good for launching a single xterm.

Lastly, mapping a network drive has nothing to do with Exceed...this is more SAMBA stuff...do you have samba going on the Linux side? Have you setup a share?

gsal
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #29
gsal
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
just forget about Exceed, for now (and forever).

Just focus on getting ssh going in your Linux machine and being able to connect to it using Putty.

Then, also make sure you have vncserver in your Linux machine, install it and setup your user id to use it as described above (posting #23). Launch a vnc session to eventually connect to it.

Then, download TightVNC to your PC and connect to your machine:display# with your userid and vnc password.

gsal
 
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #30
dougnc
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 236

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsal View Post
You are welcome. Come back and post your feedback, it may motivate even more people to this fine solution.
It works great. Very comparable to terminal server, even over the internet.
 
  


Reply

Tags
control, cygwin, desktop, exceed, freenx, remote, vnc, xdmcp, xming, xsession


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secure remote desktop with Linux? VNC? SSH? VPN? sauce Linux - Security 3 12-16-2005 02:24 PM
Multiple Windows login to Linux desktop (with VNC?) kadissie Linux - Software 2 08-20-2005 08:40 AM
VNC on linux connect via windows linuxmandrake Linux - Software 1 06-23-2005 06:02 PM
Running a Linux desktop on a Windows client using VNC spartanM19SSM Linux - Networking 19 12-13-2004 08:34 PM
VNC Server on Linux - Which Desktop? Echo Kilo Linux - Networking 2 07-28-2004 07:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration